Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
inner peace to make peace
2,305 Posts
Bigwheel & DeeZee

thanks...Bigwheel & DeeZee

while i enjoy reading the searches Bigwheel & DeeZee has provided, what's faster on XC races (although i know that many, if not most, xc races courses are not the funnest & roughest trails that a xc rider may enjoy)?

·
Registered
803 Posts
TrailNut said:
thanks...Bigwheel & DeeZee

while i enjoy reading the searches Bigwheel & DeeZee has provided, what's faster on XC races (although i know that many, if not most, xc races courses are not the funnest & roughest trails that a xc rider may enjoy)?
last monday, i demo a Retrotec 29er SS with a front suspension fork in my local trails, i cleared a log in one try, effortless.

today, same trail, same log, i cleared it on my fourth try on my 26" fully rigid Inbred.

so its either the front suspension fork or the bigger wheels that allows me to do that. or its both the front suspension fork and the bigger wheels.

what do you guys think?

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
If you're currently pushing your 26" to it's absolute maximum, 29" won't be faster immediately, takes getting used to sometimes. It will be faster when you manage to take it to it's maximum. Not sure many have been there already. I'm effortlessly as fast on 29" as I ever was on 26". Getting closer to my personal limit with 29", I'm definately more dangerous than I was before, except my health lets me down lately. I drop 26"er riders in corners and descends, I used to get dropped on equal gear.

·
Registered
803 Posts
yes, i definately have reached my personal limit on my 26" rigid bike. the question now in my brain is should i just buy a normal 26" suspension fork and increase my limit, or just get frame and fork for 29er.

my heart says 29er, brain says think more. hahahahhaha

Financial controller aka wife says "your current bike not enough?"

well, today i had bruises to show that my 26" rigid is not enough

·
2,305 Posts
xc descender

the key perspective i'm curious about is on xc descending, first of all.
when not racing as long as i can stay on the bike to climb, descending is what matters.
but while racing xc, climbing is what matters, as 70% of the time & effort seems to be spent on pulling harder on the climbs.

right now, if i were to buy one mt. bike to have in my stable, i'd select a 29er with gears, mainly due to my curiosity. i know 26ers work well, but i'm willing to try 29ers to see if the alleged improvements are for real.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
How about this, descending AND climbing get better! Maybe not if what you do is asphalt climbing, that depends 100% on tire tread and carcass.
My first good offroad ride on my Fisher, I though I was on a 24lb DH bike. Normally I was a chicken on anything pointing down, not so with 29". No-one with actual 29" time will tell you otherwise.
Go get your copy!

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
WarPigs said:
last monday, i demo a Retrotec 29er SS with a front suspension fork in my local trails, i cleared a log in one try, effortless.

today, same trail, same log, i cleared it on my fourth try on my 26" fully rigid Inbred.

so its either the front suspension fork or the bigger wheels that allows me to do that. or its both the front suspension fork and the bigger wheels.

what do you guys think?
I find log-overs easier with a rigid fork vs suspension regardless of wheel size (26 vs 29) and 29" wheels easier than 26".

·
2,305 Posts
more pedals than brains

Oliver said:
Buy one, ride it, and you will find out why 29
right now i want to know why you all current 29ers like 'em...or at least, be able to verbalizey why.

gosh, "homer", it never occured to me that buying one to try it out is the best way to find out. DUH!

·
Registered
174 Posts
porter's, stouts are great!! My friend just brought me some beer from Germany called Tannen Zapfle*i tink that is right*, amazing dark beer that is from a local brewer near Frankfurt*man I can't spell, Southern curse hahaha*, oh well. here are my thoughts on your question.

My fisher niner is faster than my Trek Fuel. I have sold everything pertaining to my 26" wheels. I am 5'10" 195 w/ gear, not a fattie, muscular build and my niner made me faster. It handles better on the downhills. It can ride lines that were a bit sketchy on my Iron Horse Mk3 expert, because of the roll over angle the wheels provide, no suspension can duplicate that. The attack angle of the wheels are priceless for tough singletrack etc. Climbing is better, more traction in mud and just climbs like a goat etc. Hold momentum better due to the attack angle of the wheels. Going over logs is just awesome. I can make it over logs up to about 3 ft. in height, much easier and quicker w/ the 29. I hope any of this helps you in some way and doesn't sound repetitive.

I mean riders on this board are great riders etc. Proof is in the vids and pics on this board, the need some have to question the integrity of the riders who believe in the 29 wheeled bikes is kind of crazy to me. Why would people like myself go through the trouble of selling off their 26" stuff otherwise, why would we limit our choices, why would we have very few tires to choose from, because riding a 29" bike is sooo worth it, that's why!!!!

Also I like Mary bars, and H-bars as well for the leverage they give, along w/ 29" wheels it is just a treat to ride. I use the Mary's because I run my Paragon geared.

·
Beer it does a body good!
250 Posts
good question

I asked the same question 4 years ago. Even though I had been ridding my cyclocross bike(28" with fattires) more than my 26" wheeled MTB. The rigid cyclocross bike just held speed better was smoother and more responsive than my standard mtb with a high end front fork. Then I got one of the first surly karate monkeys and holy crap! I was keeping up with the young guns and climbing stuff that I never could before. A world of differance for an over weight old goat like myself. In short it made me a better rider and brought back the fun in ridding off road. Just a quick sumary of my experiance but its worth checking out. and if you dont like it good parts for 29" are easy to sell on ebay, they are in demand right now.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TrailNut said:
right now i want to know why you all current 29ers like 'em...or at least, be able to verbalizey why.

gosh, "homer", it never occured to me that buying one to try it out is the best way to find out. DUH!
Sometimes that is just the best way for you to find out. Maybe you could demo one from some one in your area and try it for yourself. I could go on and on about all of the benefits of a 29er, but nothing translates as well as riding them for yourself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
i tried it

got hooked on ss yearand a half ago. the 1fg was fun and fit ok. i have a 22 mile ride thats perfect for ss. killed myself to make it in 2 hrs. bought a gf rig last feb and went out clipped 8 minutes off my pb. the bike just feels right. for what its worth.....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.