Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone? It's certainly not my heavy-ass monocog. ;)

And what are the features/characteristics (aside from lightness) that makes a bike a good climber?

·
Registered
662 Posts
The ability/willingness to suffer more than the rider next to you ...
S

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
Esqo said:
Anyone? It's certainly not my heavy-ass monocog. ;)

And what are the features/characteristics (aside from lightness) that makes a bike a good climber?
Probably a year or two of intensive training in the Himalayas under a competent mountain guide, is best.
Once the bike becomes acclimatised to the higher altitudes, several ascents of some of the major peaks like K2 and Everest will work wonders ... and as more experience is gained, the bike will become a really good climber...:D

R.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rontele said:
srsly though, you posted a pretty dumb question.
You think? I assume some bikes have better climbing qualities than other bikes, just like some bikes are faster, more durable, etc. But anyway...

·
Registered
944 Posts
Esqo said:
You think? I assume some bikes have better climbing qualities than other bikes, just like some bikes are faster, more durable, etc. But anyway...
Its like asking, what skis are good for snow? Or which tire should I use for dirt?

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
The general guide is that steeper head tube angles and shorter chain stays climb better. But that's not always the case.

If you like to stand when you climb, then the steeper head tube, and a slightly lower front end will help climb. If you like to always sit when you climb, it's preobably less important.

My road bike has adjustable dropouts, and I actually think that it climbs better with the wheel moved back (i.e. longer stays).

Lighter wheel and tires will also make a difference, as you accelerate slightly with each pedal stroke during a climb.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Its like asking, what skis are good for snow? Or which tire should I use for dirt?
No it's not. The proper analogy to your questions, Rontele, would be which bike is good for solid ground. Bikes vary a lot in their climbing ability, so I think it is a fair question especially for 29ers where one of the concerns of the past has been how they do on climbing steep technical terrain. Also, some skis are much better for climbing than other skis but may not be as suitable for the run down.

Cut the guy some slack, geesh.

·
Superflying on Haven
638 Posts
It's certainly not a heavy-ass sailboat.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts