Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see the Dark Mountain Supe D is coming up in a few months and was wondering what the hell Super D is, anyway? I read it is a mix of XC & DH...sounds cool. Can someone give me the lowdown on what a typical race entails?

-Thanks.
 

·
notabouttoseeyourlight
Joined
·
2,664 Posts
You hit the nail on the head.... Shorter than an XC race, longer than a DH race, more descending than an XC race, more climbing than a DH race. The courses can vary from barely more than an XC course to what most people would call a DH course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Its about 20% XC and 80% DH. They mainly use XC trails to race on. Best for 4" to 6"er bikes. It is a time trial event just like DH.

Rember we are having 2 Super D's down here in Greenville SC at Paris Mt. in March 25the and April 22nd too. I hope to have all the details by the 2 week of Feb. for everyone.

Cecil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds awesome...

Are the categories the same as XC (beginner, sport, expert, etc)? If so, does someone that has never raced automatically race beginner?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
ChipV said:
That sounds awesome...

Are the categories the same as XC (beginner, sport, expert, etc)? If so, does someone that has never raced automatically race beginner?
Yes in a way. You can race ether Beginner to Expert. I raced Sport in my first ever DH race back in 97. You would have to get a Norba lic. too.
 

·
Glad to Be Alive
Joined
·
43,010 Posts
coma13 said:
You hit the nail on the head.... Shorter than an XC race, longer than a DH race, more descending than an XC race, more climbing than a DH race. The courses can vary from barely more than an XC course to what most people would call a DH course.
yeah:skep: :skep: :skep:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah, who am I kidding...I'm not going to race. If I race, then I will have a legitimate gauge by which to judge myself, and my self esteem is already low enough without that. By not racing I can pretend to be much faster than I really am.

I can live with that.:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
You West Coast guys must have been crapped on by your Super D races.:madman: Our Super Ds here in the South East are more like a DH race with out the roughness of a true DH race course. Our races are tuned more to help us get ready for the true DH season.

The Super D I am putting on is 80% DH with a 12+ grade down. It has a few very short uphills that you carry your speed up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,424 Posts
To be honest it is just a glorified XC race. Most of the races I've seen the racers were running sub 22lb bikes. Suchas 29ers, and light duty fully. If racers are racing XC bikes and winning that qualifies as XC for me. Not so Super........ or D.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
wyrm said:
To be honest it is just a glorified XC race. Most of the races I've seen the racers were running sub 22lb bikes. Suchas 29ers, and light duty fully. If racers are racing XC bikes and winning that qualifies as XC for me. Not so Super........ or D.
Buh? Not here.. Most guys are running 4" to 6" mini DHers and Full DH bikes. We do see a few XC bikes.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top