Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a replacement that wont explode like my romic.. any tips? (please no "oo any shock but the romic will work! :rolleyes: i want some real responses lol) if you know prices that would be great also, thanks

·
Registered
524 Posts
How much do you want to pay? Avys are nice, 5ths are kind of eh....luck if they dont blow, and ive also heard good things about the ElJefe (stratos).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hmmm... i work at a shop... i think qbp has el jefe's. i think ill spend whatever I can get for the romic after it is rebuilt. someone was selling a used avy today at creek but i didnt have any money :( . Any other shocks?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
yea the linkage plates are bent thats why it blew i believe (im sending it back to banshee), but its also an excuse to upgrade lol...

*didnt want to add another reply*

Yea, im 135 lbs with gear.. go "big" but it shouldnt blow like that. Anyone have any personal reviews for either the el jefe or the Avy?

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
i know alot of ppl love avys...

but id say a 6-way with a remote resevoir would to the trick and that way ull get Stable Platform Valving...which is allways good...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
i rode one of those today (either a 4 or a 6, i dont remember) and it felt like mushy poo... i took it for 5 or 6 runs (specialized bighit) and I didnt like it as much as the romic when it was working. the swinger was very bubbly, and was probably broken.

does the el jefe come as a 7 7/8 by 2in stroke? i dont see it on their site..2.25in stroke is the closest... with that my swingarm would probably hit my frame when i bottom... do they make customs?

is the fox RC any good?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Something called a 5th element...

bansheebikeman said:
i rode one of those today (either a 4 or a 6, i dont remember) and it felt like mushy poo... i took it for 5 or 6 runs (specialized bighit) and I didnt like it as much as the romic when it was working. the swinger was very bubbly, and was probably broken.

does the el jefe come as a 7 7/8 by 2in stroke? i dont see it on their site..2.25in stroke is the closest... with that my swingarm would probably hit my frame when i bottom... do they make customs?

is the fox RC any good?
I actually blew it once a long time ago but had it rebuilt at Sea Otter...it's performed absolutely flawless since.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
bansheebikeman said:

is the fox RC any good?
whatever... :rolleyes:

·
where's the kick stand?
674 Posts
bansheebikeman said:
hmmm... i work at a shop... i think qbp has el jefe's. i think ill spend whatever I can get for the romic after it is rebuilt. someone was selling a used avy today at creek but i didnt have any money :( . Any other shocks?
look at manitou.just a thought.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
bansheebikeman said:

is the fox RC any good?
well lets just say that since you complain about the romic but admit it failed because of the frame; you bad mouth the swinger but probably had no clue how to adjust it and admit that may have been broken; and you work in a bike shop and have never ridden a fox rc but claim to go big? i would say that you really have no clue about suspension and you should just take bj's advice and get a 4-way swinger. they work just fine, cost about 280 us, and are very adjustable. the fact that you work in a store yet badmouth romic here when it clearly was not their fault shows you dont understand the banshee anyway. the frame is at fault and next time you want to get help on a shock decsion here do us all a favor and use the search feature.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
sometimes keeping ur moth shut does pay off...cheers buddy...:D

a 4 way is probably the best value for money progressive shock on the market...its simplicity when compared to the 6 way or 5th is great in te way that there is less complication in its design and there fore less to go wrong...and did i mention they peform flawlessly...anything but a romic would be a good chioce...

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
BJ- said:
sometimes keeping ur moth shut does pay off...cheers buddy...:D

a 4 way is probably the best value for money progressive shock on the market...its simplicity when compared to the 6 way or 5th is great in te way that there is less complication in its design and there fore less to go wrong...and did i mention they peform flawlessly...anything but a romic would be a good chioce...
you nailed it right on the head there bj. i agree and only flamed this tool because he "works in a bike store" and "goes big", but he has no clue about the main rear shocks on the market and posts about warranty issues when he works at a bike shop and gets this stuff at cost with no repair fees and can work dealers for swag and deals. look pinkbike is the place for people like this and i hope everyone who reads this gets wise and stops posting bs threads all the time (like yeswayjay and anyone whos asks whats the difference between the super t and shiver, what chaniguide for my bullit, what rear shock, etc, etc, etc). use the search feature freaks. and post relevant shitt.

·
Registered
3,669 Posts
dream4est said:
you nailed it right on the head there bj. i agree and only flamed this tool because he "works in a bike store" and "goes big", but he has no clue about the main rear shocks on the market and posts about warranty issues when he works at a bike shop and gets this stuff at cost with no repair fees and can work dealers for swag and deals. look pinkbike is the place for people like this and i hope everyone who reads this gets wise and stops posting bs threads all the time (like yeswayjay and anyone whos asks whats the difference between the super t and shiver, what chaniguide for my bullit, what rear shock, etc, etc, etc). use the search feature freaks. and post relevant shitt.
and i couldnt agree more...

but dont stop there let it all out... ;)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
BJ- said:
and i couldnt agree more...

but dont stop there let it all out... ;)
lol... as soon as someone doesnt agree with you, BASH BASH BASH!! :rolleyes: ... the swinger i rode was on a rental bike, and it has probably had it's day... and if it dies like that, i dont want to ride one. it felt like crap. the oil has mixed with the nitrogen. I know what a good one feels like, and i know how to adjust suspension. (oh no! i said something about what I know how to do! quick, someone bash me!) is that ok with all of you? I get it that romics are bad, and whether mine blew because of bad linkage plates or because it was a romic, the blowout is a good excuse to get a better shock. you guys reccomended stuff, and i appreciate that, and I told you my experiences about stuff you reccomended. if i dont agree with you, its not like i kicked your dog or anything. saying that I "go big" was not to uptalk myself, but instead to get people to think of stronger shocks, and show why the romic may have blown besides the fact that it is a romic. I said that I work at a shop not in a "holier than thou" way, but because I can only order certain things... and hey, how do you know I get cut rate deals...my boss may not be nice :rolleyes: the only reason I dont pay for labor is becuase I work on my own bike. I would be charged for someone to work on my bike. please no responces of the bash variety.... just shock help.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Id just get the romic repaired, and save a bit of cash. Why fix something that doesnt need fixing? If it was truely your frame, then you dont need a new shock, just new linkage. If its your linkage, and it happens again, then you'll just blow another shock. Id keep the Romic, save a bit of cash, and at least you'll know what your still doing.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts