Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weekend of July 11th is designated as a trailwork weekend at Dupont with Woody. I can't wait. I was wondering what is the problem. I rode it last weekend and I can only come up with it is just too smooth and fast that it might be causing "user conflict." Just wanted to here some other opinions so we can make sure that all good opinions are taken into account and implemented, especially if the owner of the opinion shows up and actually helps with the implmentation (basically, if you are not planning on being there, don't bother posting:thumbsup: ).

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
extrmtao said:
You are such an instigator. . .

Hey, I resemble that remark! No,no I want to see what everyone who is coming out to do this trailwork thinks about it. If I was a true instigator I would of left it open for anyone to comment. I don't care what the peoples opinion is who aren't showing up for trailwork. I will be there:madmax:! You will be there. Who else will be there (Woody is in I think)?

·
Registered
418 Posts
In addition to the reroute at the bottom, I understood Woodman to say that the long straight section at the bottom would also be 'meandered' some (is meander an active verb???). And there are several places along the trail where an out-slope berm has developed to the point that if we ever had rain, the tread would hold significant water. Under the present conditions, those sections of trail are holding significant quantities of powder!

Hope to see you there--
TrailZen

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Sorry for delay in response, I was out in Park City for 2 weeks.

The best way to find out what we will be working on is to show and work with us.

As Zen noted, there are some needs to this trail. Some de-berming on the upper section is called for. There is one spot that stays a bit moist and muddy and could benefit from some rockwork. The lower section on the old roadbed to too straight and has been the site of several trail conflict issues due to mtn bike speed. This section will get a re-alignment with much more meander which will also help with water management.

And there is of course the steep bottom section dropping down onto the road. Forest Supervisor David Brown has suggested a relocation for that short (steep) pitch as it is not sustainable (due to the steep grade). I am more inclined to deal with it in the current location and do some rock armoring work. I am open to others opinion on this and would like to hear from those who plan to come out and work now. I will need to meet with David to decide which way we are going to go with this and get some rock in place if that is what we decide we want to do.

Please plan to join us for the weekend, it will be great fun as always. I will post details on the weekend in another thread.

Woodman

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Woodman said:
I am open to others opinion on this and would like to hear from those who plan to come out and work now. I will need to meet with David to decide which way we are going to go with this and get some rock in place if that is what we decide we want to do.

Woodman
I plan on working and encouraging (by encouraging I mean tying them up and making them come <---- that is a joke) so I would like to offer my opinion on the bottom "road bed" section that needs meandering.

I noticed that to the right of this trail (think riding down the trail and looking to your right as you are on the flat straight section) there is a small ridgeline with some good elevation change.

Would it be possible to meander the trail up onto this ridge so that there is actually a little bit of climbing/descending that ends the trail? I can picture a nice tight flowing off-camber section at the bottome that would slow people down and offer some twisty turns that could end/begin the trail at the bottom.

Since the rest of the trail is so fun, fast and flowing, it would be awesome to have some tight single track at the bottom. I would even go so far and dare to say that maybe we could "hand build" this section to offer a tighter ribbon of trail right off the bat?

That is a small opinion from me, a person who will be at the work day offering my hours on a trail that I love.

Thanks for taking my opinion into consideration,

You local advocate for fighting against rotten vegetables and poor trail design, X-mater.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Mater,

I knew I could count on you for: support, hard work on the workday, good ideas, and of course a little humor.

The idea is to go above the current trail on that section. I hate straight lines on trail and want more meander and undulations. There is great side-slope up above the current "troad" (single track trail but clearly on an old roadbed) and some trees that could serve as gateways and choke points. I am open to help flagging this if anyone is interested. I also want some opinion on whether to armor the lower steep section (needed for sustainability) or look at a re-lo and add some length to the trail.

How about a meeting late day sometime this week to walk and discuss options? I would say include this into a group ride, but my bike is currently in the hands of UPS on the way back from Park City. Others could certainly go a ride after.

I am open to hand building this, but we will need a whack of people to finish that and other needed work in a day. The other option is use one of our smaller machines and do the needed landscaping and finish work to provide a narrow product.

Woody

·
Registered
418 Posts
Add me to the list...

Woodman, X-Mater,
Please add me to the group for flagging a possible relo at the bottom of Airstrip. Either bike or hike is OK with me in case Woodman's wheels aren't delivered by UPS in time...
Later,
TZ

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You can count me in for some campin' and workin'! I'll leave all suggestions to people who do more of this than I do! I am glad to be able to help maintain a place that I have grown to love. I know we will have a good showing from UpstateSORBA at this fun event. Looking forward to it!

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
extrmtao said:
Wednesday night would be a good opportunity for me to be out there. I can normally get to the trail around 5:30 so anytime after 6 would be fantastic. Let me know.
I can do 5 30 on Wed. also! :thumbsup: Tuesday/Thursday is now a T-ball night form me. Fridays won't work either due to the lack of having anything left!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
TrailZen said:
Woodman, X-Mater,
Please add me to the group for flagging a possible relo at the bottom of Airstrip. Either bike or hike is OK with me in case Woodman's wheels aren't delivered by UPS in time...
Later,
TZ
No way my wheels will be here before Friday. Let's meet at 6PM at the top of the trail. I will be driving in, so if anybody wants to ride in my truck in, let me know and we can make a meeting before plan. Otherwise, folks can park wherever you want and ride your bike in (whatever route you want to take).

Does this work for folks?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Howzabout 5:45 in Fawn Lake Lot?

Woodman, et al--
If you're driving in, we could meet in the Fawn Lake lot ~5:45 and just walk the entire alignment. That lets us flag berm problems, flag the lower relo, etc...
Later,
TZ

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.