Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is the topic of this week,

So, What do you think is over Rated, or way too Expensive for what it is????

For example I'll begin.

I think XX parts, and many Carbon parts are way over priced for what they really are.
I also think X0 is over rated, compared to x9, some peeps say "ohh, X0 is better than X9 parts, Its works better", probably not knowing they share the same design and only difference is a couple of carbon pieces which saves you .02 gms

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
Alot more than just the raw metal goes into a frame. There is standard overhead such as shop space, employees, tooling, R&D, etc. Also figure in the economies of scale. How come cars cost more than just a 3000lb chunck of raw steel?

·
Riiiiiide...
690 Posts
Nicolai G-Boxx frames ... 6000euro!??! I mean come on! Good frame 1800euro .. rohloff (insides only) 800euro .. plus a little extra for the 'other' stuff, i don't see how they can charge more than 3500 MAX.

·
lidless ascender
812 Posts
Bikes in general.Don't even get me started about components (forks in particular), clothing,...
The obvious comparison with motorbikes has been mentioned a few times in these discussions and I agree, there's no way a bike can cost as much a a good dirtbike for example.And yet there are more and more examples of this happening.

But to be fair, you can get a pretty good bike for $1500-2000 (low to mid class) nowadays compared to a few years ago.

Marko

·
Registered
915 Posts
JayTee said:
Most all Ellsworth frames, as beautiful as they are, are way too expensive and overpriced in my opinion.
But only 2/3rds of the price of Turner, Santa Cruz, Intense,Yeti, etc etc etc on average an ells is about £700 cheaper (in the UK) than other boutique brands.

or to put it another way only £200 more than a Specialized or Trek etc

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Santa Cruz Bikes!

I've never quite understood why an Ano Nomad costs £300 more than a Helius AM, £500 more than an Alp160 and a wopping £1000(!!!) more than a Rune. Heck, it costs £850 more than a Reign X frame, Even though it's made in the same building, by the same people, using the same techniques from the same fecking source of Aluminium.

I have no problem with the design or quality of the bikes, but they are marketed and priced as something they're not. Why pay beyond 'hand built by faces and names' money for something that rolls out of a far eastern mega factory?

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I was reading through this thread and had to chime in. I agree with everyone about frame costs. Nice dirt bikes, like KTM's, cost about the same as some mountain bikes. That is STUPID rediculous. I can understand $1200 for a frame but that would be max. Beyond that and you need to start thinking about how to justify this cost. Exactly what goes into these frames that warrants this kind of cost?
R&D time and effort, you say? OK. Well then if the R&D was top notch and everything about the bike is rad enough to warrant these crazy prices, then why does it need to be redesigned a year or two later to make it better? If it was the perfect machine they say it was, justifying the cost, why change it?

Oh, and don't even get me started on forks that cost $600+ and have issues right out of the factory. Complete BS.

·
think
853 Posts
carbon fiber
Titus El Guapo
Ibis Mojo (!!!!)
VPP/DW/whatever
I guess i'll go with Santa Cruz as well, never understood that one (creak creak creak...)

I'm also going to go out on a limb and say Thompson seatposts. They might be strong but they're not light and they're sure not cheap.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,875 Posts
Nsynk said:
But only 2/3rds of the price of Turner, Santa Cruz, Intense,Yeti, etc etc etc on average an ells is about £700 cheaper (in the UK) than other boutique brands.

or to put it another way only £200 more than a Specialized or Trek etc
I just checked the ellsworth site, Moment is $2449
Turner site, 5spot is $2495

Crazy that they'd charge that the distributers charge so much more for one. I guess one is more popular? People will charge what people will pay.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.