Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So up here in Guelph we're getting bombarded with this white shitty stuff. So what do you guys do over the winter to carry you through. Any goals for the winter?

I despise winter in all its aspects so I tend to stay inside. Lotsa weight training, boxing, swimming, hockey, keggers etc. I also play drums, guitar and bass so its good practice time.

I'd do skiing and snowboarding if it didn't involve snow and money. Two expensive hobbies is enough.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I ski almost every weekend and have a few trips to Quebec and out West (BC or Utah). Of course I work out religiously year-round. This winter I think I will do more stationary biking than running.

I am fortunate in that I love winter as much as summer.

·
Muskoka
3,476 Posts
I'm into xc -skiing, both classic & skate technique. Mostly go to Horseshoe, Hardwood Hills, Arrowhead, or Buckwallow. Every saturday & sunday, maybe once through the week as well if I can "get away". I love it and got into mountain biking initially just to stay in shape over summer for the next ski season. Of course now I love mountain biking also. The key to enjoying winter is getting outside and doing stuff. I couldn't sit inside spinning on a trainer, yuck!!
Of course it helps also to live in Muskoka where its all around me. Here are a few pics of Buckwallow in winter.....

·
Bike Junkie
378 Posts
A new sport

Winter time is video game season.

I've taken up building wheels during the winter before.

I also try to take some courses since I can't really ride my bike.

My cycling fitness goes to waste really, the trainer can only keep me interested for so long.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Usually the winter gets taken up by going to class. I find the gym and or trainning pretty boring, although i know i should try and do something so i dont loose all my fitness from the summer. Just recently ive taken up snowboarding, so ill have to see how that works out this year.

·
Banned
6,678 Posts
bike commute 5 days/week, XC ski, snowshoe, and do the roads around collingwood on my winterbike

just got the TO winterbike fixed and took a few pics of this morning's ride which i'll post on the passion board...see if there are any other nuts out there (took 1.5 hours to do the 17km last night)

·
livin' large
534 Posts
This winter I plan on doing LOTS of telemark skiing, just ordered some new boards, can't wait!!! I also may climb some ice and if the snow and ice are bunk I'll ride my bike.

There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad attitudes.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I play hockey!

I am a goalie at the Midget AAA level.

·
Registered
413 Posts
lol

garboui said:
i call it the undoing of everything the summer did a.k.a. GETTING FAT
with ya there buddy...beer and chk'n wings, Football, B-ball, and Mexico every Feb.

Work it all off in the summer with biking and v-ball,

Need to find a winter hobby, besides beer!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
trekracer8000 said:
So up here in Guelph we're getting bombarded with this white shitty stuff. So what do you guys do over the winter to carry you through. Any goals for the winter?

I despise winter in all its aspects so I tend to stay inside. Lotsa weight training, boxing, swimming, hockey, keggers etc. I also play drums, guitar and bass so its good practice time.

I'd do skiing and snowboarding if it didn't involve snow and money. Two expensive hobbies is enough.
Hello fellow "bad attitude-er". :p :D

This winter will be different than most, which would normally have been along the line's of Garboui's post (not that I can ever get fat - it just doesn't happen).

This year i'll be on a trainer to help with my health in the many ways cycling has this year, albeit the exception of fresh air and sunshine. Better than nothing.

Also, now that I have a viable tuning device for my car i'll be spending some time and money on the roller's (dyno) tuning for better numbers and driveability.

I have cycling as the hobby that helps my health, spirit and wallet. The car hobby helps to stress me out, piss me off and make me broke.

I figure i'm a "well balanced individual" like this. :p :D :rolleyes:

Oh, and a trip to the U.S. for a week sometime through this winter with the bike IF it's not too busy at work. ;) I've never been out of the country in the winter. :( This MUST change. ;)

·
rad to the power of sick
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wish I had a car to tune lol.

Typically I wake up on the weekend at 9 am, decide whether i can go for a ride and then go for a ride. Today, I got up at 9am , saw it was snowing and decided to go back to sleep. I have no reason to get up til 5pm when night time party plans start getting organized. hmm... what to do, what to do...

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Today I went skiing at Mount St. Louis-Moonstone. It was a fantastic day, almost like spring skiing.

Tomorrow I will do the same. The bike is jealous. :)

·
Muskoka
3,476 Posts
AndrewTO said:
Also, now that I have a viable tuning device for my car i'll be spending some time and money on the roller's (dyno) tuning for better numbers and driveability.

I have cycling as the hobby that helps my health, spirit and wallet. The car hobby helps to stress me out, piss me off and make me broke.
Andrew, just curious - what car are you tuning?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Today i actually went out for a snow ride. I figured it was worth a shot, and it turned out to be pretty fun. Maybe i wont be loosing all my fitness over the winter. I just rode a rail trail, so it was pretty easy terrain, but the snow makes it much more interesting. I found it was easier to plow through powder rather then ride over the bumpy footprints.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
BlackCanoeDog said:
Andrew, just curious - what car are you tuning?
My '96 Bird (4.6L - same engine as the 'Stang). I like the modular/OBDII stuff waaay better then the old puchrod crap. I haven't touched my Capri in a few years, other than driving it to the 'strip and beating the crap out of it once or twice a year.

Modeled by Derek (airman) at a coincidental ride at Albion last month.

Attachments

·
Registered
121 Posts
norm said:
Dundas Valley?
Yeah thats dundas valley. I only biked along the rail trail though, didnt take any of the other trails. Despite being non-technical trails i dont think riding them in the snow would work very well because of all the steep hills.

The start of the rail trail is about a 5 minute ride from my house, so i ride there all the time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts