Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not Smart Enough to Quit
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am slowly working my way into the endurance racing thing and was wondering how long a race has to be to be considered an endurance race.

My case in point: the Snake Creek Gap time trial series in NW Georgia.

http://www.nwgasorba.org/the_snake.html

It's "only" 34 miles, but there is a ton of climbing & the last 5 miles are a technical nightmare (for me anyway). The top times are near 3 hours for the total freaks (the guys who win expert & semi pro XC races) but the last one took me 5 hours. Even though I think that I can get that down to near 4 hours, is this still "endurance racing"?

What is your definition?

Is there a definition?

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
I would think an endurance race invovles enough energy expenditure so that most or all of the riders, must ride through their bonk.

What I mean is that even with good feeding and hydrating a large amount of the calories are coming from the liver processing stored body fat, for a good chunk of the race.

I think there is some concensus, that the time invovled would normally be in excess of 2 hours, at LT threshold.

·
Registered
408 Posts
endurance def'n

fwiw I use the following for the calendar at ride424:

1) timed events - minimum 6 hours
2) distance events - min 100 km

And yes I occasionally get the request to list a 59 mile race cuz it is real hard. But I don't list them. With the criteria above there are more races on the calendar than anyone can survive in a season anyways.

As for physiological effects, with no calorie intake pretty much anyone will bonk in 2 hours and that is sure not a "endurance race" in the colloquial sense of the word. That's an XC race. Or a cyclocross double header :)

Just my take on the world...

·
Registered
686 Posts
Syllamo's Revenge is most definitely an endurance event, for those of you not familiar with it; it's right outside of Mountain View AR. The race is "only" 50 miles, but it's 95% single track with approximately 6800' feet of climbing. The winning time last year was around 5 hours. Most folks think that it's harder than the Ouachita Challenge. Registration opened today and they are only taking 150 racers, so if you want in, ya better jump now. :thumbsup:
http://www.syllamosrevenge.com/

·
Registered
445 Posts
the TRUE answer

Ok here is the scoop, its an endurance race for you now, but if you keep at it you will begin to think like kretzel's post, and if you keep doing too long you might start to think about it like mikesee does, welcome to the game, enjoy the long ride:thumbsup:

·
This place needs an enema
17,440 Posts
xray_ed said:
is this still "endurance racing"?

What is your definition?
My $.02 is that an "endurance race" is anything that can be completed in less than ~30 hours of constant riding. Generally speaking, these events are typically "on the lighter side" in that you can race hard with minimum baggage, recover, then get back to normal riding/living within a week or two.

"Ultra endurance" is anything longer than that, and generally requires carrying shelter, a means to filter or treat water, a few days worth of food, maps and navigation aids, etc... These events typically leave a "physiological footprint" on you that can last weeks to months before full recovery is achieved.

MC

·
Registered
173 Posts
it is what it is

I'm in with the group that thinks it's a personal barrier. For me it usually means lights as my training runs/ rides fit in the light hours and I don't consider them boundary pushing . When lights are involved that usually (for me) means that I went through the day and now we are starting to click in some good hours. The racing portion is a different matter as it usually takes into consideration whether or not you are competing for a particular place and are willing to push hard to get it (not cruise, that's called " a ride" ). Say what you want but if your not pushing your self even slightly that's what it is.
Like a fellow said before, what you consider long now will soon be short. I remember training for a marathon when I started running and now I run those as the shorter of my weekend training runs. My fear is now the 150 and with cycling it would be multi day rides .I love the 24 hour format as it is extremely social but it always nice to see how hard your willing to work on day two.
Having said that I'd love to do Arrowhead or GDR but the time off is the catch. I bet a finish in either event though would be priceless.

Dallas "WAY to motivated for this early in 07" Sigurdur

·
Registered
124 Posts
Eddie O said:
I've ridden the Snake Creek course...it's an endurance race.

Eddie O
I agree and in my opinion anything that is not a sprint anaerobic type race with a determined number of required laps is an endurance event. 6hours/ 12 hours/ 24hours or 50/ 100 + miles. I have done the SWANK 65 which is a 42 mile event with lots -0- climbing that took most 3+ hours to complete is endurance.

Of course at my age I do these events as a personal best kind of challenge. No where near as experienced as Eddie O but still have as much fun!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Endurance is 24 hours (or more) of laps, solo on a singlespeed, with more than 15 hours of darkness, temperatures lower than zero, and done on a mountain so that there are plenty climbs.

This qualifies

Ultra endurance is doing much the same thing (with or without gears) totally self-supported (but not on a circuit) and for 2 or more days.

Anything else is a ride in the dark :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.