Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 151 Posts

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here we are in a depressed global economy with daily, up-to-the-minute news feeds showing every facet of of this world financial meltdown in all its high-def gory glory. But the thing is, most of us are still gainfully employed, some still with pretty good job stability depending on what sector you're in. And others receiving either unemployment, or great tax returns because of the astronomical amount of interest you pay on your mortgage since you bought a house in 2006. Ahem. Anyway, for those still receiving a bi-weekly check of some sort, I'm curious where your money is going, aside from the basic necessities of life. Food, shelter and beer of course. How much money are you spending on entertainment, eating out, bike related stuff, or home improvement? Do you feel an obligation to support your local economy and if so, how are you doing that? This could be an interesting discussion.

Myself, I'm currently remodeling a bathroom. It was in desperate need due to some major water damage, but I used craigslist to find a tub, and a great contractor who, due to the economy is charging very low rates. So we're making it work for us and it's kind of a win-win situation. Bikewise, I'm actually selling a rig in order to pay for some of the expenses of the remodel. Some sacrifices do need to be made. We also cut way back on driving and prepare most our meals at home.

So what's your story?

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Plywood, shotgun, shells, canned food and Top Rhamen for the ensuing Zombie invasion!

A renter, decent job for the time being with a modest raise, low frills girlfriend and my only vice is Lagunitas Beer, Bacon and bikes so I am always broke. Plus I take the bus to work and on the weekends much more. Cooking at lot which is fun since we will throw pot lucks and it is quite fun.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
We go out much less, especially if it involves paying for a baby sitter. Teacher's jobs are fairly stable, but things like health insurance could be eliminated at any time.

My laptop is on its last legs, so that may get replaced soon. I haven't bought anything new for my bike in a long time.

·
Registered
227 Posts
i dont cook much so i eat out all the time. and aside from all the stuff i actually need to buy, my money goes to bikes and all the related accessories. i do try and support the local shops as much as i can but sometimes convenience and lower prices just make more sense.

·
ROOOOOOOO
1,669 Posts
I cook most of my meals (duh). Hey Baycat, holler when you're gonna throw a dinner party and I'll do the same. Would be happy to contribute.

My extra cash goes into rainy day fund. Sorry to sound boring, but my bikes are pretty much all set so I don't really buy much outside of groceries, gas, etc. I guess part of my discretionary income goes towards good cuts of meat, cheeses, wine, eating out occasionally.

I spend money on iTunes, and will be burning some gas on some biking road trips. Going to go see Dark Star Orchestra in a few weeks in RWC.

·
The Bubble Wrap Hysteria
3,783 Posts
All the money I plan to spend on bike stuff this year will be spent out of state......I'm refusing to support those A$$ HOLES at the capitol. They would rather waste our time deciding what day to make Milk's special day instead of coming up with a plan to get this State's affairs in order.

·
I like mtn biking, too
3,224 Posts
Peet's, Starbucks, New Leaf, REI, Apple, ITunes, the LBS, and a few other local Half Moon Bay shops still have my enthusiastic support. Eating out is more sparse than it used to be, and the cafeteria at work hasn't seen much love from me lately, as I've been brining my own lunches. But other than that, I'm trying to support my favorite businesses as much as I can as long as I'm solvent.

·
Registered
464 Posts
mtnbiker4life: Seriously, everyone of those legislators in Sac Town should be out on the street in the unemployment line, take a bunch of randomly chosen unemployed people throughout the state, and I bet that the result would be better. It can't possibly be worse.

We are cooking our own dinner more. And looking for deals on Everything from A1, it was half off at Safeway last week!, to bike stuff and Ski Tickets.

We pretty much don't buy it if it is not on sale.

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, we've really learned how to enjoy being home since getting childcare is so involving. There's so much to do if we just expand our horizons. Plus, with a little toddler, Friday evenings are a chance to rest now, not the rabble-rowzing opportunity they used to be.

Oh, and I have a drum kit in the basement!

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Funny, my wife and I are in full agreement. We'll sell off our stuff before we are forced to give up Peet's coffee. There are some things too good to give up. Anyone want to buy an Ibanez bass?

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
the only thing not under consideration for 'adjustment' is our kid's education. i'm effectively paying 3 tuitions at the moment--timing could've been better but i view education for our kids as the one place i won't stop investing in.

everything else is on the table...for us this means less dining out, less shopping and buying 'stuff' and generally thinking before spending. ebay, craigslist and paypal are not at all happy with me. i have a [email protected] of frequent flier miles so our travel is limited to places united airlines flies to keep that expense down as well. we're only doing minor stuff around the house, any plans for more significant capital expenditures are off the table for now.

and to the 'local' part of op's question, we are definitely trying to support local merchants and restaurants more consciously than we used to.

·
utilitarian biker
464 Posts
stopped driving the car about 90% less. Eat out less. Sell off old stuff to fund new purchases. Still employed and paid by tax dollars.

Helping support the economy and LBS with the purchase of this.

·
Registered
759 Posts
This year is about updating the house...we're starting with a bathroom and then carpet. However, I do have my eye on a couple of bikes once these projects are done.

·
Paper or plastic?
10,277 Posts
Hookers, drugs and booze to forget about the economy. Otherwise, we don't really spend less, but we don't really splurge either.

·
~Disc~Golf~
16,496 Posts
In order
Rent, food, beer,

previous bike stuff took away the ability to add more to the list

ok... an occasional hooker ...but only after poker games! :)

·
Totally, and to the max.
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a thought on that note. Price out what you want from the cheapest out of state online retailer. Then, go to your favorite LBS and give them the opportunity to price-match it. If they can't, buy it online. You may find that they're willing to work with you. I agree, CA govt needs a good kick in the nutz, but the good people running our neighborhood businesses don't. Let's just hope the state gets their shizznit together....

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
My bike is officially complete (I think), so now money is being directed at a new TV and stereo.
I'm trying to stimulate the economy, but I don't think it's working....
Bathroom model would be nice, tough with only one bathroom though.

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
K-max said:
I agree, CA govt needs a good kick in the nutz, but the good people running our neighborhood businesses don't.
Yeah, buy local, you could be helping to keep your neighbor/friends/family employed. Moving your dollars to another state sure the heck won't help ours.

1 - 20 of 151 Posts