Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.... though it would be worth sharing:

Time and money to invest in more bling are lacking, but then living and riding as I do this bike will see more miles of hard training than all my MTB's combined.

And yes, the nips are green. :D

·
aka dan51
6,021 Posts
Damn that's a hot looking bike!
If they made one with disk brake tabs I'd be all over it as a commuter.

·
bike rider
5,560 Posts
The frame, fork, crank, and Flite saddle look sooo good together. Way prettier than those Orbeas.
BTW, there is no Ibis forum on roadbikereview so you are justified.

·
Church of the Wheel
749 Posts
dan51 said:
Damn that's a hot looking bike!
If they made one with disk brake tabs I'd be all over it as a commuter.
I second that. Actually, I'd rather see disc tabs on the new carbon Haakkalugi - wider clearance for fat tires and disc brakes would make a fabulous all-weather/commuting/touring - oh, and cyclocross - rig.

After years of discs on my MTB's, it's hard to ride lame lame lame rim brakes on road bikes. Scary. Dangerous. Cannot for the life of me understand why more manufacturers don't put discs on their road frames. Cannondale started to put discs on their cross bikes...until the UCI banned them. Hate the UCI. OK, rant off.

Very nice Silk's, by the way. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recognise the background and the carpet. So you treated yourself to a Mojo SL and a Silk. Early christmas this year!

The Silk in that race green looks great. Could you give us the specs for that bike? Did you buy it in the US or in the Netherlands? Who built it?

Congrats!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Here's some hot ones from Orbea... they make mountain bikes too, one at 24.69lbs. Anyone ride one of their MTB's?
Attached Images

Isn't this an Ibis forum?

·
Registered
195 Posts
Diesel~ said:
Extra props for the Flite saddle....

Nice ride.
Not to sidetrack the thread (great ride, BTW), but for years I swore by the Flite saddles, rocked them on both my road and MTB rides and told everyone that was looking for a saddle to buy one. Then I tried a Fizik Airone - wow! I no longer have the "taint" break in period each spring as I get very little soreness (practically none) with the Arione.

·
Registered
25 Posts
SvenW said:
I recognise the background and the carpet. So you treated yourself to a Mojo SL and a Silk. Early christmas this year!

The Silk in that race green looks great. Could you give us the specs for that bike? Did you buy it in the US or in the Netherlands? Who built it?

Congrats!
The Mojo SL is mine :)
Pictures were taken at a meeting from a Dutch forum (Dirty-Pages)

A colleague of mine was the Ibis distributor for the Netherlands in the 90's. He arranged for these 2 frames to come to the Netherlands.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SvenW said:

Congrats!
Tnx.

Fork: Easton EC90SL (supposedly slightly stiffer than the 90SLX)
Headset: Cane Creek IS2
Shifters & derailleurs: 2008 SRAM Rival
Crankset: 2004 Dura Ace w/ a TA 38t and FSA 53t ring
Cassette: Shimano Ultegra 10s, 11-23
Chain: Shimano 105 10s
Brakeset: Shimano 2003 Dura Ace
Bar: Deda Newton 31.8, 44 cm wide
Stem: Thomson X2 in 130 mm
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Wheelset: DT240 hubs, 20 h front, 24 h rear, DT RR1.2 rims and Sapim CX-Ray spokes
Skewers: Mavic
Pedals: Time RXS Carbon
Tires: Michelin ProRace3

I built it all from the ground up, including the wheels. MavErik sorted the frame for me with Ibis (thanks Ibis!).

As to the wisdom of the part kit: I'm not too sure about the wheels with my riding style, but time will tell. Most of the other parts came off my previous road frameset. In time I may go nuts and buy a Red of Campa Chorus gruppo, but so far SRAM was a good investment.

·
Registered
39 Posts
@MavErik: I really like those pictures from the meeting. Great stuff! I have always had the feeling that there is a certain rather sophisticated bike culture in the Netherlands.

@eric: I like your bike and the wheels. Would fancy a pair of those myself actually. How much does the Silk weigh?

@iClique: those bikes look horrible and what are they doing in an Ibis forum anyway?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I can't wait for mine! I'll have it in Jan. to start off a Happy New Year!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
eric said:
.... though it would be worth sharing:

Time and money to invest in more bling are lacking, but then living and riding as I do this bike will see more miles of hard training than all my MTB's combined.

And yes, the nips are green. :D
very nice!

how fast does it go? how much does it weigh?

mx

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Truth be told I have no idea what the Silk weighs. I don't own a scale and haven't weighed one of my bikes for a pretty long time. Given the old bike weight and a couple of changes along the way, it's be anywhere between 7 and 7,8 kg. :p

Despite the cold/sleet I'm going out for a real ride today. Gotta get some km's in before the racing reason starts again. Will post a review tonight.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I head out into the hills.... After an hour and a half it's snowing; as I reach the top of the moraine I realize the read north is covered in re-frozen slush from snow two days ago. I was planning on doing a training ride with a friend of mine, but end up calling her I'm heading home. None of this is the Silk's fault, however.......

The good
This is a stable ride. As far as I dared to push corners with all the crap on the road (loggers had left quite some mud around as well) the bike responded perfectly. The only reasonable descent was pretty slippery I came nowhere near to leaning corners on the way down. Will post a follow-up when I have more serious riding done (which may well be March at the rate things are going....)

Overall stiffness is on the spot for a racing frameset. It's a bit more compliant than the Cube scandium frame I had prior to the Silk, but that bike really was harsh. I did hear a bit of brake rub, but that was due to my caliper not returning properly. The Easton EC90SL op front is as smooth as I had hoped for, without lacking rigidity. I initially had some concern about how flexy the carbon steerer etc. seemed, but this seems to be on par with the Reba World Cup in my mountain bike.

As to geo: funnily enough this bike feels like the 56 cm Kona cross bike I had 2 winters ago. The handling on that machine was excellent! Anyway, my previous frameset used a 130 x 0 degree stem, while I opted for a -10 degree model on the Silk SL. I can feel I'm stretching the back & hammies a tiny bit more, which is what I intended when went to the drawing board with this bike.

The wheelset I built seems rigid enough, although one test ride really isn't sufficient. I need some serious hammering to really tell, I guess.

The bad
I need to fix my back brake. Left the bike under the shower and when it's dry we'll see what's happening. Looks like it needs a shim as it isn't returning as quickly as it should. But then again: it is almost 6 years old.......

An I'm not going for road rides in this weather anymore ;-)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Sounds just like weather conditions up here in Sweden. :) What doesn't killl you...
What fram size is it and how tall are you? What is your inseam length? Just curious, why did you decide for the RR1.2 and not for the RR1.1?

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm a real summer / real winter kinda guy ;-) Gimme real snow or let it be warm & sunny!

Frame size is 55, and I'm 1m82 / 6" tall with an 87.5 cm inseam (with custom and pretty thick footbeds, mind you).

I picked the RR1.2 since everything within 100 miles is flat and I may do some tt/multisport stuff this year. Actually I just like aero rims' looks better, I guess.

·
chips & bier
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As promised a followed with some more miles in.

I'm not as fit as I should be after three weeks holiday / working trip without the bike, but that's a small caveat.

The good
I've gotten a little hammering done on the bike since my last post. It's right on the mark - rigid enough for my abuse without being harsh on lesser roads. This is probably what surprised me most about the Silk SL: I'm not getting anywhere near the beating I was getting from pavement cracks and cobblestones that I was on my old scandium frameset. Even with the vertically incompliant 30 mm rims, this is a ride. The Easton SL fork I opted for is a perfect match.

Pushing the bike through corners it feels slightly more agile than the 58 cm Cube I had previously. Part of this must be the slightly shorter wheelbase and a bit more pressure on the front wheen, but the general 'feeling' of the bike is one of good flickability in sharper turns and descnets. Much like I've built my MTBs.

I e-mailed Ibis regarding the cable routing for the front derailleur. With my odd combo of a SRAM Rival FD and a Shimano clamp this led to the cable actually pushing against the spring most of the time. It does have a slight effect on the shifting motion, but performance actually doesn't suffer. I think this was just an error on my part: I really need to buy a Dura Ace derailleur or a different clamp, I suspect.

My bad
I goofed on the setup. The -10 x 130 stem was really way too steep. Riding on the hoods was a stretch, riding in the drops a misery. I switched to a -6 x 120 mm stem and presto!, the fit seem spot on.

The head tube on the 55c Silk SL is actually reasonably long, but with 1 cm of spacer I dare go no lower with the bar at this point.
The bad
The headset keeps loosening just ever so slightly, literally every ride. I cannot for the life of me figure out what's causing it (everything really is torqued down properly but not extremely) and yet the headset goes 'pop' every time I apply the front brake significantly. It's a marginal amount of play that develops after ca. 2 hours of riding - anybody know a fix?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts