Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so santa cruz have finally got with modern geometry!

p4pb10776261.jpg

despite the colour scheme this is actually less 'women specific' than previous bikes as it has a reasonably long reach, decent seat angle and the chainstays are about as short as I imagine you can get a VPP bike.

and a 65 degree headangle is going to make it fun on the steep stuff

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I don't see this as "modern geometry" at all, more like surpassing the norm. They went extreme in every way which I think is great. But then again, I don't think this bike is meant to compete with the smaller bikes like the Bronson so of course it should have different geometry. I think if it gets some good reviews and can be a decent climber, it may be a game changer. I like it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Wild color scheme. Kinda like a pink polo shirt, it'll take a secure man to rock that. Aesthetics aside, it looks sick and it would seem crazy capable. Looking forward to reviews trickling out hopefully soon.

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
That is one clean looking bike. I like the straight TT vs. the old curved one. But the TT is still a bit short, imo. Only wish we had mountains big enough for me to justify buying one!

Cheers,
KP

·
2,619 Posts
Super slack HTA, internal cable routing and no front derailleur. Looks awesome! Will SC release an aluminum version for the common folk?

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
That is one clean looking bike. I like the straight TT vs. the old curved one. But the TT is still a bit short, imo. Only wish we had mountains big enough for me to justify buying one!

Cheers,
KP
Not sure about the other sizes but the reach on the XL went from 16.8" to 18.1". That's a substantial increase and brings it into proper XL territory.

·
beater
5,930 Posts
I don't see this as "modern geometry" at all, more like surpassing the norm. They went extreme in every way which I think is great. But then again, I don't think this bike is meant to compete with the smaller bikes like the Bronson so of course it should have different geometry. I think if it gets some good reviews and can be a decent climber, it may be a game changer. I like it!
I agree with the OP- this is what I consider modern AM geometry, or moving towards it. Long reach and front center, slack HTA, and steep STA. For a pure AM (climb to descend) frame, I'd actually like a shorter cockpit and a degree steeper HTA, but this will probably make a good all-day bike. Santa Cruz isn't the first to go with this type of geometry, not by a long shot, but they're not at the tail end, either. There are still quite a few (well regarded) AM frames out there with what I consider outdated geometry. But most people just look at the HTA.

I think we'll see more frames moving this way if Enduro racing continues to gain momentum at the pro level. I think it's a little ironic, because I used to think that separation from racing concerns was one of the best things about the AM category, both for bikes and skis. But the demands of Enduro racing will definitely provide some selection pressures, and with bike companies responding to the needs of high caliber pros, we'll see the effects.

·
MountainGoat aka OldGoat
832 Posts
Why would the spec a 160mm front with a 165mm rear? Is that a good thing or are they limited by the available forks that are available for the new 27" wheels?

·
Banned
7,171 Posts
The only change: something like a X-Fusion Vengeance HLR Air 170 w/ a 20mmTA.

·
Mr.650b - Mr.27-5
1,630 Posts
Not sure about the other sizes but the reach on the XL went from 16.8" to 18.1". That's a substantial increase and brings it into proper XL territory.
Agreed, that's a big step in the right direction, and probably a well reasoned one. The Mondraker Dune, for example, is more on the extreme end of the bell curve with a 19.5" reach on their XL frame. In the end all that matters is how it rides and I am willing to bet the Nomad rides great. The numbers never tell the whole story...

Cheers,
KP

·
Registered
47 Posts
I like the fact that although the top tube is still a little short, the reach is now more in line with "standard" sizing...I'm 6-1, but I ride the XL 2013 Nomad, which has a shorter reach than my Large Specialized Pitch...I think SC did a nice job of shortening the chain stay with that recessed pivot, and in doing so corrected the cramped feeling of the cockpit by stretching the reach out...all geared towards better descending capability.

My first thought, along with sticking a 170mm vengeance on it, was Long Live the Nomad, the Nomad is Dead...this is a modern day VP-Free. 28 pounds and carbon and a 1x drivetrain...when is Mark Weir coming back to SC and hopping on this?

·
I fix choppers
992 Posts

Cheers,
KP

Oh c'mon Kirk. That thing would be hoot on lotsa stuff in Pisgah. I like the look and the geometry they went with too, but sadly I no longer feel that SC is a leader in innovation. They have become more of a boutique brand and this is disconcerting for me as I have been a fan for years having owned 5 of their bikes. Gone are the days when you could get a great functional spec and even choose from myriad of colors without having sell a kidney. Their offerings have become more limited and their pricing stratospheric. Ironically, the Nomad 3 slots in at a lower price than last year's Bronson so maybe they listened to some of the criticism going around. The new Nomad numbers have been out and proven by smaller companies like Kona, Canfield and Banshee for more than 2 years. SC finally adopted for the Nomad, but they are not breaking any new ground. I thought about waiting to buy this frame as I was in the market for a new bike moving to a 27.5 format finally. However, I went for one of the little guys instead saving more than half the cost and maybe adding a lb+/-. I think the Nomad 3 will do great, but I think I am not alone in wanting to see an alloy version at a lower price point.

BTW, Thanx for your efforts to push the mountain biking world into accepting/embracing 27.5 wheels. I never liked 29'ers. They never felt right for the kind of riding I like (technical, air war, craziness). However, after demoing a number of 27.5 last year I knew that would be my next rig. I hope to meet you some time on one of our trips up to Chattanooga.
:thumbsup: :devil:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts