Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right where the pinch bolts are. any one had issues with this yet? hopefully it will be warrantied.

·
Just Ride
1,015 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
(patienty waits for the manitou bashing thread to reach full steam now that the boxxer bashing thread has fallen from the top ten threads)
i'll start it. fvck manitou.....

they'll send you a new one probably, maybe a whole new fork, but if you wanna use somethign that you already cracked once...thats all up to you.

·
Say Car Ramrod!!
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
.WestCoastHucker. said:
(patienty waits for the manitou bashing thread to reach full steam now that the boxxer bashing thread has fallen from the top ten threads)
lol no, i dont have any complaints about the forks ride or tracking, but that is weaksauce. should have gone Zoke...

·
Registered
90 Posts
MANIPOO,
nah im just kidding, this isnt the place to spread my opinions bout a product that ive never used.

Now i do have some advice tho . . . when you try to warrenty it, be polite and tell them what really happened, not some bs, JRA story. This will make them more likely to reply. Be persistent, but polite. If they say no, ask to speak to their manager, ect. When all else fails dust the cobwebs away from the pencil in that drawer and hand write, yes, you heard me, hand write a detailed neat letter with correct spelling and detailed photographs. Ive never had someone say no to a handwritten letter, hell ive even gotten an entire replacemant for my laptop when the screen died by doing this.

Good Luck

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
.WestCoastHucker. said:
no words of splaining will ever help now that a fellow human being has learned a hard lesson

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Sounds like the pinchbolts were over-torqued.

Atleast Manitou will most likely warranty it (if your LBS is a good reputable shop). Marzocchi wouldn't take care of ANY of the forks I broke.

G

·
XSL_WiLL said:
Sounds like the pinchbolts were over-torqued.

Atleast Manitou will most likely warranty it (if your LBS is a good reputable shop). Marzocchi wouldn't take care of ANY of the forks I broke.
Exactly.......I wouldn't be surprise though if they go ahead and warrenty it anyway, although if it was up to me, I would say no dice.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
So how many of you guys trashing on the fork have actually ridden one? Don't give me any of the "I heard" or "my friend said" bullcrap.

SMT's opinion is no longer valid. He can't even figure out his DHX shock and trashes on it. He hasn't even ridden the thing yet.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
Seals don't count. If they did, I've broken way more than 3 Marzocchis and 5 Rockshox forks.

DJ II - cracked dropouts
z150 - failed ETA and issues with the dampener
Drop-Off Comp - top cap exploded, threads got all messed up, worst dampening ever

Marzocchi didn't warranty any of them (all broke within a year). Marzocchi offered me a trade-in for the DJ II. The trade-in price was higher than what I would've payed for the fork at cost. They didn't offer any reason for the issues with my z150. For the DOC, they said no warranty and then completely ignored me.

I don't have an issue working on suspension, in fact, that's what I get paid to do.

There was a recall on the Nixon forks, and that's probably one of the most troubled forks that they're produced.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,006 Posts
XSL_WiLL said:
SMT's opinion is no longer valid. He can't even figure out his DHX shock and trashes on it. He hasn't even ridden the thing yet.
BS..............you know about me and manitou.....I rode the sherman it was a really good fork and 3 months later it was crap......enough said

as for the DHX 5.0..............kind of stupid engineering......if I have the air pressure set at 170 and I want to adjust the bottom out for a big drop and have to let the air out to adjust it....well that seems pretty stupid.....I can't believe it was engineered that way. Yeah I was just playing with the shock to become more familar with it and made a mistake by not reading the manual. But lowering the air pressure to adjust something means i have to carry an air pump in my back pack now....now that is poor engineering

·
Registered
441 Posts
It's not poor engineering

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
as for the DHX 5.0..............kind of stupid engineering......if I have the air pressure set at 170 and I want to adjust the bottom out for a big drop and have to let the air out to adjust it....well that seems pretty stupid.....I can't believe it was engineered that way. Yeah I was just playing with the shock to become more familar with it and made a mistake by not reading the manual. But lowering the air pressure to adjust something means i have to carry an air pump in my back pack now....now that is poor engineering
It's to keep people from ruining their shock, and not getting a warranty repair, because they don't know what they are doing. When you adjust bottom out resistance you are changing the air volume. Pressure x Volume is a constant; increasing volume lowers the pressure, decreasing the volume increases the pressure. So when you dial in the volume for a 'big hit' with the pressure initially at 170psi you have the potential to exceed its pressure rating and blow it up (same with the under pressure case).

This is also true for the 5th Element, Swinger, and any other shock that uses a pressure-volume system.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
I broke a pinch bolt on my Firefly lowers just not paying attention. Completely my fault and I admitted as such. Manitou sent me new lowers for free with no hassels via an LBS that I did not buy the fork through. Fork is still going strong after a year of hard riding, one seal appears to be getting tired but that's it.

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Zachdank sings this song.

XSL_WiLL said:
Seals don't count. If they did, I've broken way more than 3 Marzocchis and 5 Rockshox forks.

DJ II - cracked dropouts
z150 - failed ETA and issues with the dampener
Drop-Off Comp - top cap exploded, threads got all messed up, worst dampening ever

Marzocchi didn't warranty any of them (all broke within a year). Marzocchi offered me a trade-in for the DJ II. The trade-in price was higher than what I would've payed for the fork at cost. They didn't offer any reason for the issues with my z150. For the DOC, they said no warranty and then completely ignored me.

I don't have an issue working on suspension, in fact, that's what I get paid to do.

There was a recall on the Nixon forks, and that's probably one of the most troubled forks that they're produced.
I can remember the lyrics, but I can't remember the melody.:D

·
noMAD man
12,220 Posts
Big drop?...Big drop?

SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
BS..............you know about me and manitou.....I rode the sherman it was a really good fork and 3 months later it was crap......enough said

Bob, is that you or did someone commandeer your computer?...LOL...LOL...Bwaaaah! Bob, do you really even have to put any air in the boost chamber for those 18" curb drops?:D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts