Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sheared head set! Anyone ever have this happen before? Obviously a combination of my freakish strength and totally rad riding abilities...

Attachments

·
Politically Incorrect
643 Posts
you don't think this started cracking when we rode those rocky downhills at Dupont do ya'? :eek:

·
Transplant
880 Posts
MichiganClydesdale said:
you beast....are you okay, that must have left a mark? Isn't that what happened to Hincapie at Paris Roubiax?
I believe that Hincapie broke an aluminum steerer for his fork.

The headset is something I have never ever seen fracture like that or even thought that it could happen! The only thing I can think of is improper installation. What kind of headset was it?

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off, no damage to the fork at all...niner rigid fork in a sir 9 frame. I was riding my usual style, didn't even wreck today. i won't rule out any reasons for why it happened, could have been my fault, don't know. i mean if I have to finally buy a king headset for safety's sake well i'll just suck it up:thumbsup: it's a cane creek s-2 bought and installed in january. i've called cane creek before about some other stuff and have gotten great service, and since i have an older s-2 laying around as well as the upper half of the old s-5 series i'll ask them for advice.

·
Politically Incorrect
643 Posts
mcd said:
I was riding my usual style, didn't even wreck today.
So which one was it? Your usual style or no wrecks?? :D

Just kidding, dude!

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
motoenth said:
So which one was it? Your usual style or no wrecks?? :D

Just kidding, dude!
you missed the part about my "freakish strength" i think! I figure that i'm lucky i didn't rip the crank arms off the bike and snap my carbon handlebar in two!

I guess from now on i'll stick to just jumping off the 15 foot huck sections and not try to ride back up them:D

·
Harmonius Wrench
8,254 Posts
Actually, I'm surprised we don't see more of this!

With the 29"ers inherently short head tubes and longer forks, I'm surprised that we haven't seen something like this before. More riders on 29"ers than ever before pushing the limits of the technology.

Glad that you seem to be okay. :D

Headsets are cheap compared to the other "might have beens"!

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
3,910 Posts
mcd said:
sheared head set! Anyone ever have this happen before? Obviously a combination of my freakish strength and totally rad riding abilities...
Can I try to guess how it happened? :D

When you installed your headset, did the headset press push against outer part of the cups, or the inner part (where the bearings are)? My friend effed up a King headset by pushing against the outer part of the cups and using way too much force (think car jack wedged in a door jamb.) :crazy: If so, this could have deformed the cups, and a few good miles of the steerer wrenching against it...

·
Politically Incorrect
643 Posts
Guitar Ted said:
More riders on 29"ers than ever before pushing the limits of the technology.
Yep, that's definitely Mert. I've known him now for almost 20 years and he's always lived on the cutting edge, pushing technology to it's limits....

and speaking of freakish strength!!!

I remember when we were college roommates. He went through something like 4 remote controls in one season!! The beer bottle openers were either bent or broken. His massive strength destroyed everything in our apartment. The soap in the shower was always in two pieces - the cereal boxes were ripped open - I can't believe I made it through all 6 years to graduation!

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Drevil said:
Can I try to guess how it happened? :D

When you installed your headset, did the headset press push against outer part of the cups, or the inner part (where the bearings are)? My friend effed up a King headset by pushing against the outer part of the cups and using way too much force (think car jack wedged in a door jamb.) :crazy: If so, this could have deformed the cups, and a few good miles of the steerer wrenching against it...

i think you might be the winner as that is exactly how i installed it.:madman: i'm going to call cane creek today and i'll ask them if that could be a possibility.

·
Don't be a sheep
3,436 Posts
mcd said:
Yep. most likely the result of a buggered up cup install.

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i called cane creek.

and as drevil and rivet said it seems that i installed it wrong. when installing you are supposed to press down on the inside of the cup, NOT the outside. i use a home made bolt and washer headset press that presses on the outside of the cup. Cane Creek confirmed that this can cause a slight deformity which over time cane result in a shear brake, he also suggested that i double check the inside edge of my head tube and make sure it's deburred as that could also cause a stress point that can lead to a break like that... So it seems like it's my fault:p

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,455 Posts
Yes....

Guitar Ted said:
With the 29"ers inherently short head tubes and longer forks, I'm surprised that we haven't seen something like this before. More riders on 29"ers than ever before pushing the limits of the technology.

Glad that you seem to be okay. :D

Headsets are cheap compared to the other "might have beens"!
The sheared head set was likely due to improper installation. But I just don't get the freakishly short headtubes on many of the 29er frames. OK, maybe on small frames but on the larger frames, come on! The leverage generated on the top of the head tube and top cup of the headset is pretty wicked when you have a setup with inches of steerer tube sitting above the top head set top tube junction. For example my current Soma's front end is set up with two inches of spacers, a 120 x 25 degree stem, and a riser bar. And that's just to get the handlebars even with the seat!!!

Mike

·
uh, uh...oh, i forget
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Miker J said:
The sheared head set was likely due to improper installation. But I just don't get the freakishly short headtubes on many of the 29er frames. OK, maybe on small frames but on the larger frames, come on! The leverage generated on the top of the head tube and top cup of the headset is pretty wicked when you have a setup with inches of steerer tube sitting above the top head set top tube junction. For example my current Soma's front end is set up with two inches of spacers, a 120 x 25 degree stem, and a riser bar. And that's just to get the handlebars even with the seat!!!

Mike

mine is a medium frame with one 2mm spacer and a thomson stem. although i do agree that using a rigid fork with a nice long a-c probably didn't help my headset out any. I think mainly its a case of slightly deforming the top cup when i installed it. if it was really a 29er thing we would have seen lots more cases of this happening from guys who really put the miles on their bikes, i'm more of your weekend warrior type rider.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts