Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Elitest thrill junkie
35,025 Posts
I mean, if it's shifting that bad "on the stand"...

I know you just deal with it and get used to it, but that's kind of the point. Not to knock making dissimilar things work, I've done plenty of jerry-rig and hack jobs, some not as good, some better, but it definitely reinforces that front derailleurs never work ideally.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I mean, if it's shifting that bad "on the stand"...

I know you just deal with it and get used to it, but that's kind of the point. Not to knock making dissimilar things work, I've done plenty of jerry-rig and hack jobs, some not as good, some better, but it definitely reinforces that front derailleurs never work ideally.
Lol. You can't possibly be using an example, where everything used it's not within manufacturers ratings, to make a blanket statement for all FD's can you? Lol.

·
Registered
5,490 Posts
Had myself a little dose of thread title yesterday/today.

Let me explain...

Out on my second to last ride (disclaimer - I own 4 mtb's), I blew a seal in my coil shock on my 2020 Giant Reign 650b (was a new coil shock off a 2018 Reign Advanced 0 btw).

I only bought the bike/shock this year, so took it into guys who put it together/sold it to me.

They whisked it away for repairs (under warranty) 7 days later (weather has been ****, haven't got much riding in lately) they message saying my bike is ready.

I get to store to pick up steed and an overly exuberant techie tells me, Giant have rebuilt the shock and he's replaced the cable from the remote lockout.

He goes on to reclaim, it's been tested and it's ready to go.

I make the same old mistake, of not checking what they're shoveling in the store.

I get bike home sit on it and compress rear shock a couple of times.

I then go to actuate the lockout via remote and the lever travels twice as far as it should!?

Somehow he's (store techie) has not put things together correctly, the lever throws twice as far as it should and when it does, the remote housing slightly opens up along the front seem!!

I take it back this morning (NB, was picked up just prior to closing last night) and the fella isn't even in (he's out for 5 mins, I was told)!?

So, I have to explain everything to someone new and rather than sorting it there and then for me and apologizing for his colleagues balls-up...

He says, he'll pass on the message and the other fella will be in touch!?

So, he either put it together (remote & new cable) and didn't test it at all... so he lied, or he sent me home with a fubar remote, coz he was incompetent and couldn't be arsed asking a colleague to help him get it right!!

Sent from my HD1900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I've learned that kicking a front derailleur/crankset is not the best thing in the world for a bike...Who knew?
Put me in the 'never had a problem with a FD' camp, in fact I'll take my 2x10 with less travel than my 1x on super-hilly routes because the granny saves my legs a little on the long climbs and the RD is tucked in a little more, away from the rocks, and gnar in general. I also like the chainline better at both ends.

I think companies could've incorporated dropper and FD levers living together a little better but they're pretty much 'All in' with 1x so I'm gonna 'Run what I brung' regardless.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Once again, I'm going to go against the trends, and give a shout out to my local bike shop. They're busy as all get out, it's an exercise in frustration to try and order parts Online due to covid (try 10-12 weeks delivery time minimum) and my bottom bracket played up. Pulled it out, it's never been 100% from new, so I called past to get a quote on chasing the threads, and refacing the shell. 7-10 days. So I dropped it off, and ordered a new 180mm disc, and 4 piston caliper and lever. 6 days later the phone rings, all the parts are in, and shell repaired. Brilliant. Picked it up, installed everything, test ridden, silence and truly excellent braking. One very happy camper. Well done boys.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every time I have to take my bike to the LBS I grit my teeth..
Boneheads at bike shops have damaged more of my bikes than riding.
It's sad really.

·
Registered
65 Posts
So, I have a Merida Big 9 20D MTB and Giant Defy 2 road bike, both of which I bought new. Both have been nothing but problems when it comes to getting my gears tuned, and with both bikes I've had to go to multiple shops to get the gears tuned because they stuff it up almost every time.

The bikes will ride fine for the first few kilometers, until I get the whole "noisy, difficult to change gears" thing again. Every time I get the bike back from any shop, they manage to stuff something up. Like "forgetting" to screw the brakes in properly to the frame so I nearly lost front brakes. Or in certain gears the rear derailleur cable is so loose it can touch the rear tyre.

I then give up after going back the second or third time, and then have to go to another shop and pay more money just so they can fix the mistakes of the first shop, and then I'm stuck fixing the mistakes from the second shop and so on.

I was out in the forest on a trail ride today shortly after a gear tune, and the front derailleur was playing up again, being very difficult to shift. I got off the bike and kicked the front derailleur pretty hard a few times, so now I'm up for a new crank set at the very least as it's all bent (FC-M131 is the part). But when I get a new one, I don't trust anyone to install it and tune the gears...

Taking the bikes back to the shops they were bought from isn't an option as that would involve a long trip away.

I just wish there was someone I can trust to get gears tuned properly the first time around without screwing something else up in the process. A guy can dream, right?
This is the reason why I learned to do mostly everything myself. I was totally unable to find a competent bike shop.

Some of my friends are happy with the shops they bring their bikes, but when I see what their mechanics do to their bikes, I feel like it's more like my friends not caring at all, as I mostly see sub-standard jobs.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts