Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve ridden emtbs and eroad bikes for 3 years now, along with traditional bikes. I have ditched all my traditional bikes and am straight E. They are both so much fun, but what’s more fun? Idc if you’re fast, slow, old, young. Who’s full gas and never looked back? They are different, no doubt, but the same. I respect all mtbrs and frankly anyone sharing the joy of two wheels, regardless what you ride. I’m really digging this new sport, who else will choose emtb or e-road over traditional?

·
Dirt Huffer
1,755 Posts
It's the future for sure. Regular bikes won't go away. Think electric guitars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Acoustic guitars sound so nice!

I'm for-sure not getting rid of my conventional road bike. And my Ti hardtail MTB is so light and lively i can't see getting rid of it for ripping on flat XC singletrack

·
Registered
209 Posts
I sold a KHS eMTB to a customer in January and they came in the store last week and informed me they had sold both their acoustic road and mt bikes on craigslist and there is no going back for them. That was a rather quick transformation for them. I can see many other folks doing the same in the future, especially as technology is speeding forward.

Personally I have a super fun time riding electric or non-electric bikes. They both have a place in my quiver for sure.

As long as you're still pedaling, good on you!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I really think this depends on your level of fitness. Some people can do a 30mile MTB ride on a half a Saturday and they can still get home have dinner and go out that night. Other people are beat to death and go to sleep early. And everyone else in between.

I started MTB on a crazy homemade ebike and now i ride the tallboy exclusively now. But my fitness is at least 5x - 10x better now than when I started.

·
Premium Member
10,558 Posts
Nope, I like riding my bike just the way it is. The only reason I had to get an ebike is so my wife can stay up with me; works great for that.

I don't expect that I'll get an ebike for my riding as I am quite fit and capable of doing any kind of riding I want to do. Currently looking at getting back into touring, but on dirt instead of road, looking at the TRT for this summer, maybe some shorter trips in the Sierras/Cascades, then a lonmger one this Fall down the Eastern flank of the Sierras.

I do find it curious that folks feel the need to start these sort of inflammatory threads, as if anyone cares that you like your ebike or that you'll never ride a non ebike.

·
E-Moderator
1,004 Posts
I do find it curious that folks feel the need to start these sort of inflammatory threads, as if anyone cares that you like your ebike or that you'll never ride a non ebike.
Nurse Ben, you do realize you're in the ebike forum? This sub-form, just like all the other sub-forms out there are about peoples' passion and what they like. I don't understand fat bikes, SS, DIY lights, vintage bikes, etc... But I know those people are stoke on their passions!

MTBR ebike forum is here for ebikers to express their excitement and passion. Ebikes are not for everyone and if that's you, no worries.

Let's try to keep things positive in this forum!

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nope, I like riding my bike just the way it is. The only reason I had to get an ebike is so my wife can stay up with me; works great for that.

I don't expect that I'll get an ebike for my riding as I am quite fit and capable of doing any kind of riding I want to do. Currently looking at getting back into touring, but on dirt instead of road, looking at the TRT for this summer, maybe some shorter trips in the Sierras/Cascades, then a lonmger one this Fall down the Eastern flank of the Sierras.

Sorry Nurse Ben, I'm surprised you commented. Gonna tour this summer on the TRT Trail? Do I care? No, but I'll be respectful and say have a great time!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I still ride my regular bikes quite often, and during a recent trip at sea level (i live above 8000Ft) I rode a cruiser bike for a week and truly enjoyed it. I think for me, E and non E complete each other and I will continue riding both until I physically can't anymore.... Then i'll get a tricycle!

·
Mtbr Founder
35,466 Posts
Nurse Ben, you do realize you're in the ebike forum? This sub-form, just like all the other sub-forms out there are about peoples' passion and what they like. I don't understand fat bikes, SS, DIY lights, vintage bikes, etc... But I know those people are stoke on their passions!

MTBR ebike forum is here for ebikers to express their excitement and passion. Ebikes are not for everyone and if that's you, no worries.

Let's try to keep things positive in this forum!
Agree. This is actually an interesting question and it will be revisited many times in the next five years.

The other question is "what is your mix of ebike and regular bike riding in the coming year? 20/80 or 80/20...

I know about 10 ebike owners now and they are pondering this question. A few have gone pure ebike.

The major factors right now I think are:

1) How good is your ebike compared to your normal bike? Usually and in the past, they were NOT as good.

2) How much of your local trails are ebike legal?

3) How many of your riding buddies ride ebikes? Or can stand riding with them?

So no matter how much you like your ebike, if those three factors are working against you, it's hard to go 100% ebike. I think that will be the majority for now for ebike riders. Mixed.

In five years, it may be very different.

For me, I have a Pivot Shuttle and Specy Levo in the garage. Good bikes and they've closed the gap with the Ripmo and Switchblade in the stable. I ride them about 25% of the time. Mostly from the garage door since I can reach many more trails from home with e.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^Totally agree. Modern era production ebikes definitely handle better than the past and also agree the weight and it’s effect on suspension has gotten better. What anyone chooses to do or ride for FUN, that’s their agenda. I don’t know one person personally that rides for a paycheck. Does every ride need to be a full gas sufferfest? Maybe for some and used to be for me, but not anymore.

Big R&D monies into this new sport and seeing more and more boutique brands producing ebikes. Pivot and YT? Wow, when’s Evil and Niner gonna plug in or be left behind?

Most all ebike riders I know are very respectful and have ridden mtbs and most still do for years. It’ll be interesting to see this sport grow. It’s obvious it’s going to.

·
10,000,000 Watts
3,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How do you make an ebike legal for trails that prohibit them? Can you just remove the battery? I got no prob pedaling 40+ lbs without assistance, so I'm interested if I can go this route.
Good question, I honestly don't know the answer to that. If you turn it off, are you using electric assist? I would not enjoy riding my 45# without assist, but that's just me. I guess it depends on how hilly your area is or if your putting out Sagan wattage!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I am in my second week of commuting by ebike and for this purpose I can't see ever going back, and I question how much use my analog roadbike will get other than a very occasional tour. OTOH while I demo'd a Specialized Levo and it left me with an ear to ear grin, it won't be replacing my traditional bike soon when it comes to mt biking. Maybe if I get to the point in a decade or two where I simply can't ride without assistance and it keeps me off the trail otherwise, then fine. To each their own.

·
Class Clown
3,635 Posts
For commuting, no. Unless my commute got a fair bit shorter and it's not amazingly long now. The speed and efficiency are just too good. I can save my energy for fun rides.

For recreational all my trail rides are normal bike and I still have a normal street bike which will see some rides.

·
Registered
20 Posts
After I went on a pivot shuttle demo ride I was hooked and had to have one. It’s seriously the best suspension bike I have ever ridden for off road fun and that includes my motocross dirt bike. I still love my other bicycles:, rigid fat boy for commuting with sneaky side excursions, then the old beater for market runs, , 3 speed cruiser for local putting, tandem for date run, unicycle for wheelie training , they all have a different purpose but not getting rid of my shuttle. thank you all for awesome forum discussions and letting me join your technical mt bike group rides.

·
Fat and bouncy
552 Posts
For me, it depends on where I'm going and who I'm riding with. The other night after work I did a 30 mile ride which was a mixture of quiet hilly country lanes and exposed upland moors. I could not have done this on my normal bike but on my ebike it was fantastic and I'll do more like it. When I'm out with my other half and/or friends & family we tend to stick to low level routes that normally includes stopping for socializing (beer) and for this my normal fat bike is perfect and we're all cycling at a similar pace.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.