Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
aka baycat
8,480 Posts
Heard it is quite brutal. Rollers and steep. Sure someone can give us some more beta.

There are two SS classes. One 3 lapper, one two lapper.

"This race is no joke. I mean to say you will have a hard time finding the energy to smile when Lake Sonoma spits you out. Anyone saying “I’ve ridden that far before” has another thing coming. Be prepared and be fit. It can be extremely hot this time of year so camelbaks are a practical necessity unless you’re a camel yourself."

·
Registered
84 Posts
I did a pre-ride some time ago with Carlos and his gang. They completely trashed me on their SSs, had to catch up with them all the time :eekster:

The course is awesome! First endless rolling singletrack, then a long hard fireroad climb, then more singletrack (which I didn;t ride because I bailed out before the end :rolleyes: ).

I would like to do team, or maybe the 100 km (2 laps) solo.

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So prolly no 32x16 then, eh? Soon, I'm going to put my bike back together at 32x18 and make a run up the Oatmeal Mine Trail, trying not to get owned again. If I can do that, I'll know I've got the right gearing.

I wonder why there's no SS team category. I'd be willing to go 1x9 if I thought it would help, but I'm not sure it would.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
Yikes! Just wondering, there are two routes from the start/finish up the hill ... one goes on the pavement and the other on dirt - what route will riders take going up? Also what route along the lake? CCW or CW?

·
Registered
84 Posts
NoBalance said:
Yikes! Just wondering, there are two routes from the start/finish up the hill ... one goes on the pavement and the other on dirt - what route will riders take going up? Also what route along the lake? CCW or CW?
We rode up the singletrack directly from the parking lot at the visitor centre, but I don't think that's really feasible with a big pack of racers, so I guess it will be the road.

We did the loop clockwise.

·
mind taking
370 Posts
The entry fee isn't all that cool, but I might be up for some Sport Solo racing.

I like the disclaimer, "Sorry kids - no beginners". Mmm, me likely the hardcore. Sport is 12K footies over 66 miles, thats some hot-sauce.

How many loops of Demo is that? Sounds like a full day of Tractor loops + the grinder up from Aptos. Last time I tried 10K out there and came up 1K short, time to step up the game.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hey guys! Man, it always takes an informant to let me know there's chatter going on about one of my events on this board. I figured now is a good time to chime in with some promoter feedback...

Some quick changes (one of them actually in response to MichiganMat) - Entry fees for solos have been lowered a little. The extra $10 for the folks doing the 100 miles is to cover the extra cost of keeping the EMTs on staff until the last minute for people who are out there a long time. I knew you'd all understand :) --it's a lot nicer getting taken off course on a stretcher than by a hungry pack of wolves, or so I've heard.

I've also made a note about the 3-person teams, in case it wasn't obvious. But if you're a slow team (which I'm sure none of you are), then your last person may not get to race their lap. We'll let them go out early if they must taste the pain, but the lap won't count for obvious reasons. So for the sake of your last racer who is going to be chomping at the bit, send your fastest riders out early for the three and two person teams.

That's all!
Registration opens after the 1st.

Oh yeah - pre-rides anybody? ;)

·
Let's ride
7,125 Posts
MichiganMat said:
I like the disclaimer, "Sorry kids - no beginners". Mmm, me likely the hardcore. Sport is 12K footies over 66 miles, thats some hot-sauce.

How many loops of Demo is that? Sounds like a full day of Tractor loops + the grinder up from Aptos. Last time I tried 10K out there and came up 1K short, time to step up the game.
The footies are nothing like Demo. If the race is 12k, the Demo equivalent is more like 16-18k, or more.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
When?

clayperez said:
Oh yeah - pre-rides anybody? ;)
Clay, when were you thinking of doing a pre-ride? And, are you still planning on keeping the time cut at 12 hours for the solos? Ooopsie! My Bad - I just checked the website, and you've moved the time cut back to nine. Excellent, I was thinking about how gracious [not] I'd be about being pulled during my third lap.
Looking forward to this one.

FWIW - There's a thread in the "Endurance" forum regarding the Sonoma 100 that might be helpful.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.