Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this is my first thread and I just registered here.

I'm looking for opinions on the following:

Bicycle part Bicycle accessory Rim Spoke Bicycle drivetrain part
2005 Manitou Nixon 145mm travel fork system

Guys in the bike shop told me that soldering was not recommended... and was also told that a guy with my weight (150lb) was not very heavy for the bike, and would not have a lot of trouble with this broken junction if I did not abuse it (take huge jumps and so).

I just bought the bike, it's a 2006 Trek Remedy 66, and I want to start getting into downhill, so getting into these jumps may be a matter of time.

What do you think?

Is it fixable? is it recommended to buy another one? Which options should I consider?

Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been looking for them, but apparently the screw system is not very common... and these are kind of "old" lowers....

Is it possible to buy another fork system with different holding method?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply. 2 more questions:

1. I'm guessing fork seals are something like these: Manitou 32mm Seal Kit Evil Genius Mountain MTB Suspension Fork Accessories | eBay and also that the 32mm measure is correct. These are the seals you're talking about, right?

2. I have been reading reviews on my fork system (nixon), and also read a few right now about the Stance system, which has very bad reviews.... I am worried that changing the lower legs affects badly the bike's performance... and they also have less travel distance... is the travel distance determined by the lower legs? or by the suspension itself (upper part of fork system).

Thanks in advance, again

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
Those are the right seals. There are also aftermarket options available like enduro. You will need to put about 16cc of bushing lube oil in the bottom of each leg when assembling them. Synthetic motor oil works well if you have some.

The stance was a poor performer because it had a very basic damper. Back in 2005 I had a stance flow that I fitted the better tpc damper to and it was an excellent but heavy fork.
I currently ride 2005 nixon forks with the lowers off those stance forks. Because the nixon was a great deal but had 9mm qr lowers.

I've been riding those forks since 2006 with only seal and oil changes. I fitted the 2006 tpc+ cartridge damper just because I could. I still rate this fork more highly for performance and reliability than the vast majority of forks made since. 8 years riding is testament to that.

The lowers are exactly the same for stance, 2006 minute and nixon. The sherman lowers are interchangeable but heavier and stronger.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so if I understand correctly, stance lowers will maintain the same performance with my nixon forks... only travel will be reduced from 145mm to 130mm, right?

Also, I found these... Manitou Sherman Breakout Downhill Freeride Fork 132 152 Travel Low Miles | eBay

These seem to have more travel, and better reviews than my Manitou nixon complete system. What do you think? would it be a good idea to replace the whole fork system with these Sherman forks?

Thank you again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok so the Stance lowers are the best option so far, but if installed, some worse performance is expected, right?

Also... I cannot seem to find what's the diameter of my steerer tube. Where did you get this information?

Also, according to the specs of the Manitou Stance flow fork system, they also have a 1.5inch steerer... isn't this a problem?

Thanks again.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
Dougal is the man you want to talk to when you are asking about Manitou forks, he has first hand experience with all of them.

Changing the lowers has nothing to do with forks performance, as long as you add the bath oil and lube the seals correctly when installing the lowers. Performance comes from the damper and spring systems which are in the upper legs.

·
Registered
12,178 Posts
Ok so the Stance lowers are the best option so far, but if installed, some worse performance is expected, right?
How many times have I said they are the same parts? Why would there be a performance change?

Also... I cannot seem to find what's the diameter of my steerer tube. Where did you get this information?

Also, according to the specs of the Manitou Stance flow fork system, they also have a 1.5inch steerer... isn't this a problem?

Thanks again.
There were different steerer tube options for some forks and the Nixon never came with a 1.5". Find a rule and measure, yours will be 1.125" (28.6mm).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.