Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbies to the area and will be coming in from Prescott, looking to meet up with local(s) for a day ride sometime in the week after xmas. We're not coming from out of the country or anything, so don't need to hit the "bestest" trail, just looking for a memorable time to catch the bug of the area.

Followed an earlier post from zinger-uk and it seemed National might be a good choice. Intermediate riders with plenty of trail time.

Any thoughts?
 

·
I am Doctor Remulak
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
JMac47 said:
... don't need to hit the "bestest" trail, just looking for a memorable time to catch the bug of the area.

Followed an earlier post from zinger-uk and it seemed National might be a good choice. Intermediate riders with plenty of trail time.

Any thoughts?
National is the trail of choice, you can't go wrong riding there. Either go up National to Buena Vista and back down or take Mormon up to the National connection and continue on to Buena Vista and back down.
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now after seeing....

AZ Mikey said:
National is the trail of choice, you can't go wrong riding there. Either go up National to Buena Vista and back down or take Mormon up to the National connection and continue on to Buena Vista and back down.
.....the "Paging Moderators" post, guess we'll find Paul B's book, do some exploring and check out those tips. How do the routes fair on SS? I know another FAQ...:rolleyes:
Just seeing if anyone was around to hit the right areas.

Thanks for info AZM.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
765 Posts
ss

JMac47 said:
.....the "Paging Moderators" post, guess we'll find Paul B's book, do some exploring and check out those tips. How do the routes fair on SS? I know another FAQ...:rolleyes:
Just seeing if anyone was around to hit the right areas.

Thanks for info AZM.
Desert Classic is fun on the SS. Fast, no major climbs, but some short steep wash crossings. Morman/National is not for me on the SS. Hell, I have to walk enough spots on the full squishy. If you've got legs of steel, go for it!

later.
 

·
I am Doctor Remulak
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
JMac47 said:
.....the "Paging Moderators" post, guess we'll find Paul B's book, do some exploring and check out those tips. How do the routes fair on SS? I know another FAQ...:rolleyes:
Just seeing if anyone was around to hit the right areas.

Thanks for info AZM.
It's all singlespeedable, it just depends on how much you like to climb. My favorite gear to run at South Mtn is 34x20 which allows me to ride up most of the stuff on the Mormon/National loop.
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Me? Small,lean.....

AZ Mikey said:
It's all singlespeedable, it just depends on how much you like to climb. My favorite gear to run at South Mtn is 34x20 which allows me to ride up most of the stuff on the Mormon/National loop.
.....you know, not too gravity challenged :rolleyes: so general climbing's not bad for me. If you're strong and using 34/20, I might be stretching it for techy stuff on Mor/Nat.

I just finished re-set'n up the ss again which is 34/17. Good setup out here (Norcal) for pretty much all the riding I do. Was contemplating kicking up a few cogs in the rr but decided to wear out what I have first (components, not the body....d'oh!). But I do have visions to get a 5-6" squishy built sometime in the future (I can say this here not being the ss forum and all, right??) for some fun AZ stuff :D
 

·
I am Doctor Remulak
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
JMac47 said:
.....you know, not too gravity challenged :rolleyes: so general climbing's not bad for me. If you're strong and using 34/20, I might be stretching it for techy stuff on Mor/Nat.

I just finished re-set'n up the ss again which is 34/17. Good setup out here (Norcal) for pretty much all the riding I do. Was contemplating kicking up a few cogs in the rr but decided to wear out what I have first (components, not the body....d'oh!). But I do have visions to get a 5-6" squishy built sometime in the future (I can say this here not being the ss forum and all, right??) for some fun AZ stuff :D
I don't think that strong has ever been used to describe my riding. A 5-6" bike is a good option to have on hand.
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Kendogg

kendogg said:
Desert Classic is fun on the SS. Fast, no major climbs, but some short steep wash crossings. Morman/National is not for me on the SS. Hell, I have to walk enough spots on the full squishy. If you've got legs of steel, go for it!

later.
I have a buddy in Prescott, fireman in Phoenix by day, that races down there so I think I've heard him talk about the DC. Just not sure of his work sked (or others for that matter) for a ride that week with the holidays and all. My bro and I are the ones heading down to meet up with a buiz. assoc. of his (no info on his riding capabilities).

Thanks for the info-JM
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe I saw something.......

AZ Mikey said:
I don't think that strong has ever been used to describe my riding. A 5-6" bike is a good option to have on hand.
...about you being strong minded??? :D

As squishy bikes go, I've been eyeing the Ventana El Chamuco or better yet the Yeti 575 LT though more $$, maybe set-up with one of them fancy schmancy inverted Maverick shorter travel forks. Yah, I could really get in over my head with one of them :eek:. I know Titus must have something in their quiver similar.
 

·
Addicted to Dirt
Joined
·
674 Posts
JMac47 said:
...about you being strong minded??? :D

As squishy bikes go, I've been eyeing the Ventana El Chamuco or better yet the Yeti 575 LT though more $$, maybe set-up with one of them fancy schmancy inverted Maverick shorter travel forks. Yah, I could really get in over my head with one of them :eek:. I know Titus must have something in their quiver similar.
JMac47,

I'm also visiting Phoenix on vacation that same week! Definitely looking forward to getting in over my head at South Mountain also :D PM me if you want to get together for some rides. Can't wait!

Luis
 

·
I am Doctor Remulak
Joined
·
1,425 Posts
JMac47 said:
...about you being strong minded??? :D
yeah, not sure why that got me going...

JMac47 said:
As squishy bikes go, I've been eyeing the Ventana El Chamuco or better yet the Yeti 575 LT though more $$, maybe set-up with one of them fancy schmancy inverted Maverick shorter travel forks. Yah, I could really get in over my head with one of them :eek:. I know Titus must have something in their quiver similar.
There's a couple guys on this board (dirtbag and AZmtncycler) that ride 575's at South Mtn and really dig them. There's no shortage of 5 Spots running around South Mtn as well. Lots of good bikes choices out there with 5-6" travel.
 

·
NedwannaB
Joined
·
12,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds good

ingluis said:
JMac47,

I'm also visiting Phoenix on vacation that same week! Definitely looking forward to getting in over my head at South Mountain also :D PM me if you want to get together for some rides. Can't wait!

Luis
I'll check back in when the itinary's established.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top