Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
always licking the glass
2,656 Posts
Maybe. Not sure yet, will ride & find out. Have 4 forks & 2 bikes ATM so might just play musical forks. Only one of the forks is coiled.
=sParty
Probably not. You'll have to lose more weight to make that much of a difference with the fork than the rear shock from my experience. Are you at your goal weight?

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Probably not. You'll have to lose more weight to make that much of a difference with the fork than the rear shock from my experience. Are you at your goal weight?
Not yet -- 5 lbs to go. Started at 203 and shooting for 178. Currently at 183. :)
Aboard the bike, climbing feels much easier and I'm surprised at what this weight loss has done for my stamina. I finish long rides feeling much fresher.
A month or so ago I went 4 weeks without alcohol in order to eliminate the calories. That's something I never thought I'd do (I love beer!) but whatever -- I did it. Once I returned to drinking beer, I was blown away at the degree to which I'd lost my tolerance to alcohol. I used to be able to drink one beer after another, now I'm worthless after one. So although I'm drinking beer again, I'm not drinking much. Probably a good thing.
=sParty

·
always licking the glass
2,656 Posts
Not yet -- 5 lbs to go. Started at 203 and shooting for 178. Currently at 183. :)
Aboard the bike, climbing feels much easier and I'm surprised at what this weight loss has done for my stamina. I finish long rides feeling much fresher.
A month or so ago I went 4 weeks without alcohol in order to eliminate the calories. That's something I never thought I'd do (I love beer!) but whatever -- I did it. Once I returned to drinking beer, I was blown away at the degree to which I'd lost my tolerance to alcohol. I used to be able to drink one beer after another, now I'm worthless after one. So although I'm drinking beer again, I'm not drinking much. Probably a good thing.
=sParty
Eh, you won't need to change a fork spring then :)

Ice cream is to me what beer is to you. Then I realized I have a BAD problem with dairy: IBS or IBD, but either way I stopped eating it 2 months ago. I got tired of feeling like I was kicked in the gut. This was advice from my brother who had similar issues. During the time of taking it out, I also found out that strawberries, popcorn (with coconut oil, no butter), and cauliflower shred me too. I thought it was eggs and tomatoes. Nope. It was the other things. It also turns out I had to cut waaaay back on the fatty meats and even too much coconut oil, including salmon because my body just does not process it well. Now only white meat chicken, leaner fish, lean beef or bison on occasion, and no pork (don't like it anyway).

I've tried some of the non-dairy ones, but they don't have me addicted the way dairy ice cream. Also, no biscuits, no cheese, nothing cooked in butter. Two months ago, my weight was back at 190 lbs. That's not a feel-good weight for me on my body.

Even at that weight, my energy is better and I'm recovering from rides a lot faster. I hadn't ridden in a week due to my hips seizing, but this time it wasn't as severe as it was two years ago, and I was able to be back on the bike doing 7 laps at the bike park (where I wasn't sure I'd be able to do 3-4), and I still had more energy when I was done.

As of this morning, I'm down to 187.4. 32.4 lbs to go. @Sparticus your advice on writing things down is a big help, thanks :)

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
11,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The best worst thing about significant weight loss is the need to acquire a new wardrobe, both bike clothes & civies.

Don’t get me wrong, I like having new things but it can get expensive.😬

That’s money that could be put toward new bike parts!
=sParty

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
Excellent question. After watching this video on PUSH’s site, I figured it’d take me less than 10 minutes to change the spring. See how easy it looks in the vid?! But the spring adapter and lower spring retainer would simply NOT come apart — the tolerances are SO CLOSE and throughout the past 3 years of hard use, grit had worked its way between them. I must have spent 45 minutes trying to work those two pieces apart. I’ll bet this required nearly as much patience as you displayed while reading the diatribe I penned above. Maybe. Maybe not. Anyway once these two parts finally came apart, I discovered that I’d have to remove the lower shock mounting hardware in order to get the lower spring retainer off the shock body. Darren didn’t have to do that with the shock he’s holding in PUSH’s vid, but on my shock, I did. That took quite another while; luckily I have a press.

All in all the process took maybe an hour and a half.

You asked. 😊 Any other questions?
=sParty
Why didn't you just carry an extra 20lbs of supplies in your pack so you didn't need a new spring?

·
Cleavage Of The Tetons
6,069 Posts

·
slow
7,041 Posts
eh, one of the girls I ride with has been mountain biking 15 years and doesn't know what pressure she puts in her tires. She pumps them up until they feel hard.
I have been mountain biking 36 years and worked in bike shops for 17 of those, and I don't know what pressure I put in any of my tires on any of my bikes. If the sidewalls are too soft while cornering I add some air and if the ride is too rough or the tires are not hooking up correctly, I'll let a bit of air out. I do still tend to err on the side of too much pressure though after years of running weight weenie tires and tubes.

·
Rippin da fAt
8,567 Posts
Sparty, when you get in good condition and weight range, rewards happen like not feeling like you're on E at the end of a ride, climbs are less daunting or dauntless. So, good on you to take the initiative and get sorted. Well done, Sir!
Just try to avoid business as usual since that was what took your waistline over the edge of your belt!

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
People tell newbies to "demo a bunch of bikes" before deciding what they want. Good luck with that. They don't even know what they want. Besides, I have yet to see a rental/demo set up optimally for the user. (Not that one can demo in these days of COVID anyway.)
Totally agree. Telling newbees to demo bikes makes no sense. They will pick the bike with the most comfortable saddle.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts