Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2004 12 Hours of Humboldt is shaping up to be the year of the solo.

Current count of solo entries is 36! Among those are a bunch of experts, a few pros, THREE juniors, two Masters, a couple of Super Duper Master (age 60+), two Clydesales, but so far, no unicycles.

It's been drizzling the last couple of days, but it's due to stop by Wednesday, which will make for PRIME course conditions.

It might be warm...maybe as high as 68-degrees. Yeah, I hear all you Chicoids and Reddingians laughing. But that's warm for us coastal types!

Bigfoot

Attachments

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
How many SS solo's?

just curious, also, what's a good gear for that course? I'm thinking 32x18, but I have know idea how the 1,600 feet of climbing is laid out (sustained, rolly, steep, mild, etc).

Also, my buddy and I are planning on being up there late afternoon on Friday, I'm guessing the course is marked for a preride?

Looking forward to this weekend,

Thanks!

Roger

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Singlespeeds?

Two so far, with a few locals talking about going it mono. That gear sounds good. The climbing is a mix: steep, rollings, some sustained long ones, few short steep pitches.

The plan is to have the course marked by Thursday evening, surely by Friday morning.

Be sure to install a handlebar bell on your bike. All racers must have 'em at the 12 of H.

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
What about camping?

Bigfoot said:
The 2004 12 Hours of Humboldt is shaping up to be the year of the solo.

Current count of solo entries is 36! Among those are a bunch of experts, a few pros, THREE juniors, two Masters, a couple of Super Duper Master (age 60+), two Clydesales, but so far, no unicycles.

It's been drizzling the last couple of days, but it's due to stop by Wednesday, which will make for PRIME course conditions.

It might be warm...maybe as high as 68-degrees. Yeah, I hear all you Chicoids and Reddingians laughing. But that's warm for us coastal types!

Bigfoot
Is there camping on site? is there a fee or registration? If there isnt camping on site then were can we camp close by. Also any affordable motels in town?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Camping / Lodging Info

Sorry, it's a city park, so there's no camping at the race site.

There's a KOA less than 10 minutes away on Hwy. 101 between Eureka and Arcata (707)822-4243. There's free camping at Clam Beach, on Hwy 101 just north of Hwy 299. For RV'ers there Mad Rivers RV Park, also less than 10 minutes drive from the race, (707)822-7275.

Hotels: Quality Inn (707)822-0409, Holiday Inn (707)840-9305

Attachments

·
Registered
11,763 Posts
Thanks for the info

Bigfoot said:
Sorry, it's a city park, so there's no camping at the race site.

There's a KOA less than 10 minutes away on Hwy. 101 between Eureka and Arcata (707)822-4243. There's free camping at Clam Beach, on Hwy 101 just north of Hwy 299. For RV'ers there Mad Rivers RV Park, also less than 10 minutes drive from the race, (707)822-7275.

Hotels: Quality Inn (707)822-0409, Holiday Inn (707)840-9305
it helps...

·
Registered
439 Posts
More

You might also try Patricks Point State park for some more swanky, beautiful camping (think Big Sur coastline)....they are usually full but there generally are cancellations. It's about 20 min from the race, north of Trinidad.

Oh, and Roger, a 32X18 is what the local hotshots run. I hate to think of running anything bigger.

See you guys there....

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yup, two singlespeeders so far.

And some of the locals are talking singlespeed solo, but talk is cheap! There is a 2-rider singlespeed team entered.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Well than I'm sure we'll see each other

I'll be in a SyCip jersey on a yellow PW/Sycip SS.

jrm, I'll keep an eye out for you as well.

See ya'll Sat. morning.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.