Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Plus size jersey model
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Fiance, myself and our dog are headed up for the MBO in July. We will be driving up from Tucson, AZ and plan on staying in Oakridge at a motel through the following Friday the 24th. I am trying to get us a good full week of riding in but just don't want to miss out on any good riding that I might never make it back to.

Our plan is to do the MBO thing for the weekend arriving the Thursday night before hand maybe earlier if work permits we'll see(then I can get more riding in).

Friday was planning on Hardesty/Lawler/Goodman
Saturday I am signed up for Middle Fork?
Sunday Alpine/Tire/Windberry

Not sure the time these will take and the mileages? Are all these all day rides or do you think maybe a could squeeze a couple more in somewhere, or should I be totally happy with those.

Monday we are planning on a drive over to the coast to Florence or something for a rest day.
Tuesday was planning on hitting some of the McKenzie River
Wednesday Dread n Terror
Thursday I have yet to be able to decide, who knows maybe I'll be dead by then, but am open to suggestions.

Sorry for my million questions and thanks for any help I can get. If any of you ever want to head down Tucson way hit me maybe we can ride over some rocks together.:)

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
The Lawler/Hardesty ride is a dual shuttle with very little climbing (less than 6 miles of actually climbing combined). They are super fun, but not taxing (even for my plus-sized arse). MiddleFork is an all-day thing, sort of. It's not a difficult ride via the MBO way, but logistically speaking: all day. Alpine/Tire/Winberry is a most of the day ride. It's one of my favorite OakTucky ride combos BTW. There's plenty of climbing on that one.

On Friday it's possible you could bag Larrison Rock when you get back. It's one of the better DH trails in the area and super short and pretty easy to get to.

My $1 worth anyway.

Brock...

·
DOD Member
352 Posts
You have a great intinery there!

You should look at the NUT Damage thread further down the Oregon board. There is a high water issue on Dread and Terror, and a bridge out on Dear Leap. Maybe you can get an update on those conditions. Great trail, if you can get to it.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I don't really have much to add, but gotta give you a shout out for the Log Lady avatar.

On McKenzie River, I'd quit when you get to the reservoir, especially if you're planning to pedal back to your car. Most of the good stuff is above it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thursday, check out Waldo Lake area. Not sure about the bugs at that point but if it is relatively close to Oakridge (less than an hour) and lots of great trail. I would suggest Waldo alone if you are feeling whooped and Twins/Waldo if you are feeling adventurous.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
coast portion comment

You mentioned going to Florence on Monday, I would recommend riding the Cape Mt. Horse trails and the Cummings Creek loop at Cape Perpetua. Cape Mt is just a few miles north of Florence and has some awesome views, the whole trail system can all be ridden it about three hours, start at Dry Lake trailhead and be sure to do the Blue Horizon loop (best views).

Happy Trails
Jolly

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Jakkarro said:
I wouldn't ride Waldo that time or year, unless you like bugs and riding with a net on.
If you keep moving it can be OK, but lord help you if you get a flat or need to stop and rest.

·
Obviously Single
1,143 Posts
Deet?

Jakkarro said:
I wouldn't ride Waldo that time or year, unless you like bugs and riding with a net on.
There's a solution for that, though toxic: 100% deet. When I rode in Wyoming, you had to have Deet or you would die.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts