Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to replace my Trek Fuel EX8 chain, it is currently a SRAM GX Eagle which broke.

Is there a way to find out what kind of chain I should be buying?
Went on WorldWideCyclery and was overwhelmed with the options. Not even sure what size I need or anything.

·
Wanna ride bikes?
9,828 Posts
Get another Sram GX Eagle chain.

Most likely your chain was damaged by a bad shift under load and it compromised a link which eventually broke. Don't shift under load and you'll stop breaking chains.

·
Registered
11,038 Posts
I've used Shimano, SRAM, KMC and the brand I come back to is KMC. They just seems to last longer and perform as well as anything.

At the moment I have a bike with a YBN chain, first one I've used. Be interesting to see how that works out but yeah, can't go very wrong with KMC

·
since 4/10/2009
34,605 Posts
I've used Shimano, SRAM, and KMC chains. I have all of them installed on something in my garage right now.

Unless there's something particular, I generally buy what's on sale that matches the speeds of the drivetrain it's going on, because most of the time, I haven't noticed any sort of performance difference. I try to avoid buying the cheapest models of a given chain, though. IME, those tend to wear out faster.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just checked my Fuel EX8 and it has 116 Links. I can’t even find a chain with that lenght. I just ordered a 114 link from Amazon thinking I miscounted but they sent me a 126 link

·
the beat goes on
284 Posts
if you dont have a chain tool you will need to buy one or have the lbs shorten it for you. you generally dont buy chains to exactly match what you already have.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.