Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so.....I ordered a 9.5x3.0 spring for my 5th element and instead of getting the 5th element spring I got a spring for a swinger (as I was told it'd work)

So my 5th element spring I had was 450lbs, and my swinger spring is a 500lbs. While the coils are thicker on the swinger spring it is shorter than my 5th element spring. So I can't preload the spring much at all, as I have maybe 2-3 threads left on the shock.

So my question is.......do manitou springs run like fox springs do (IE I'd need a 3.25 stroke spring for a 3.0 stroke shock?) If so I have to see if I can return this spring and get another one (a 3.25).

The funny thing is, my bro's bike has a 7.5x2.0 shock (manitou) and I got him a bigger spring. It was a 2.0 spring, from manitou, and it worked fine. It was a little longer than what he had (new bike, he had a 350lbs, needed a 700lbs) but it worked excellent. My bike/shock on the other hand is odd.

Just curious, because I know fox uses some funny figures with their springs but I was unaware of manitou doing the same.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm pretty sure (could be wrong) but the numbers on the spring are the weight and how far it can compress before it coil-binds. So if you've got a 3.0 spring on a 3.0 stroke shock you can't preload it at all. I'd try and get a 3.25 or 3.40 spring (or something longer than the shock stroke) just to be safe.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well the funny thing is if the swinger shock is right, then the 5th element shock rated at 3.0 is more like 3.25 because it is almost a half a coil longer than the swinger spring. What's funny is there is a 3.5" stroke spring for a swinger but that's suspose to be for their 10.5x3.5 shock.

Maybe I just need to hunt down a 500lbs 5th element spring. I mean I'm lucky that I can preload the spring maybe 2-3 turns (and I only have 2-3 threads left on the shock itself). I know if it's a 3.0 spring it shouldn't hurt anything but I'd rather be on the safe side.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts