Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I live to bike
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I had been using Stan's NoTubes for a while, with pretty good luck, converting standard tires and rims to tubeless. I had been able to mount Motoraptor 2.4s and a Weirwolf 2.5 pretty easily. Later, I was able to mount a IRC Mythos 2.1 rear, but it was quite a hassle, and I had ended up wasting a lot of sealant in the process. Then today I attempted to mount a Nokian NBX Lite 2.0. Unfortunately, I only had 2 oz of sealant left, only enough for one tire and not both. Even with a compressor, I was having difficulty getting it to hold any air. Well, after a while of trying to fill it, I realized I needed more sealant (and some for the second tire, anyway). Since I didn't have anymore, I decided to see what others were using for homemade concoctions. It seemed many were using some variation of latex, windex, and slime, so that's what I decided to go with.

I stopped by the hardware store and asked where to find liquid latex. I was directed to the paint aisle. No one had said that the latex was simply paint! Anyway, I found a paint that said it was 100% acrylic latex. I figured, even if I'm way off on what I'm supposed to use, what the heck! I mixed some of the paint, some tubeless slime, and some windex in about a 1:1:4 ratio (I didn't actually measure, sort of just guestimated), and WHOOSH, the tire sealed right up! So here I found a concoction that worked better than Stan's for a WHOLE lot less money!

I guess we'll have to wait and see if my crazy formula will seal punctures as well as Stan's, but I'm guessing it will!

So, if you want tubeless, don't waste your money on Stan's sealant. Your own is a whole lot cheaper, and can even be better.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
You may find yourself having serious fun or should I say trouble getting your tire off Stans strip if your solution is too powerful.

I once decided to make my own solution just like you mentioned but added a little too much latex. I mounted a tubeless Python (Which costs like $60us in Australia) and later on when I tried to get it off the rim, discovered that it was glued to the strip. Wire cutters and a bit of a lost temper was what it took to get my tyre off.... :eek:

I am sure you solution will work, but its worth sharing my rather interesting experience for the heck of it.....

·
Weight Weenie Shop Owner
2,006 Posts
You used PAINT??

I am shocked you used panit :eek: ! Sure it might seal the tires by painting the inside airtight, but probaly won't seal punctures.

The layex you WANTED is found in an Arts and Crafts store and usaly goes by the name of MOLD BUILDER. It's Liquid Latex for making molds. This is what basically what everyone uses and is similar to the main ingredient in Stan's, Eclipse's latex and others!

You can aslo use Liquid Latex from a Sex Shop :eek: ! They have basicaly the same formula,

Good luck with the paint and hope it does not ruin your rims or tires :(

·
I live to bike
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, I know it's weird..

I did learn from a friend that the latex I used might not be exactly the same thing everyone else uses :D (I had asked about mold builder at the Home Depot, but they had no idea what it was, and since I wasn't sure myself, I just found whatever liquid latex I could) BUT, it did work, at least in sealing the tires! I guess we'll see how well it seals punctures -- I do have the tubeless slime in there, so if the latex won't do it, hopefully that will.

Anyway, it was kinda fun experimenting. And I guess we'll eventually find out how difficult it is to separate the tires from the rim strip :p

DIRT BOY said:
I am shocked you used panit :eek: ! Sure it might seal the tires by painting the inside airtight, but probaly won't seal punctures.

The layex you WANTED is found in an Arts and Crafts store and usaly goes by the name of MOLD BUILDER. It's Liquid Latex for making molds. This is what basically what everyone uses and is similar to the main ingredient in Stan's, Eclipse's latex and others!

You can aslo use Liquid Latex from a Sex Shop :eek: ! They have basicaly the same formula,

Good luck with the paint and hope it does not ruin your rims or tires :(

·
Registered
601 Posts
Jwiffle said:
I did learn from a friend that the latex I used might not be exactly the same thing everyone else uses :D (I had asked about mold builder at the Home Depot, but they had no idea what it was, and since I wasn't sure myself, I just found whatever liquid latex I could) BUT, it did work, at least in sealing the tires! I guess we'll see how well it seals punctures -- I do have the tubeless slime in there, so if the latex won't do it, hopefully that will.

Anyway, it was kinda fun experimenting. And I guess we'll eventually find out how difficult it is to separate the tires from the rim strip :p
Easy was to find out if your latex works:

Grab a sewing needle and put a small hole in your tire. If it seals it, you're good to go and it's no big deal for the tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts