Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious. After putting some time on my single speed (29'er) recently having not ridden it in quite a while, I'm kinda missing those 29" wheels. Looking around...I can get a new Release 29 2 for $2k. But as I understand...the Release 29 is nothing more than a Catch with 29" wheels. Just wondering if anyone has one or has thrown 29" wheels on their Catch and what the thoughts were. I'd have to sell my Release to fund it or any other bike that I might get to replace it. Or I suppose I could try mixed wheel size on my Release and run it 29 front and 27.5+ rear.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have 29er wheels on my catch. I like the setup. Much more efficient and lively than the plus tires. I had a regular 27.5 before that, and I prefer the 29ers. If i was buying new though, I would probably by something designed around 29er wheels. Something like the new Ripley would be ideal. I'm not sure what the options are in the $2000 range though. If you can't find something better, you should be perfectly happy with the Release 29. I am. It's still a great bike that will give you no excuse not to have a blast riding.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I'm a size-medium person, on the left side of the normal distribution, and a big fan of 27.5 and 27.5WT and 27.5+. I really enjoyed my Clutch in size L and put a Continental true-size 2.4 tire on it which fit fine. I would have liked even better a Release in size M. They're sort of a budget version of a 5010 or Mojo 3. That makes me sort of sort of sorry to see the 29ers push them out in 2018, though I understand why. Anyhow, these frames work great and they don't seem completely outdated yet, though the latest generation of bikes in this class take 29er WT and have room for 170 droppers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well I started with a Catch 2. Bought a 29er wheelset and bumped the fork from 130 to 150. And then downsized the 27.5+ wheelset to from 2.8 to 2.6. After all that I’m very Pleased with the current setup now.... but definitely took a little while to get there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well I started with a Catch 2. Bought a 29er wheelset and bumped the fork from 130 to 150. And then downsized the 27.5+ wheelset to from 2.8 to 2.6. After all that I'm very Pleased with the current setup now.... but definitely took a little while to get there.
So it sounds like you now have a Release 27.5...Or am I reading that wrong?

·
Registered
26 Posts
So it sounds like you now have a Release 27.5...Or am I reading that wrong?
Basically yeah you got it! but with the option to run 29er as well. Pretty much the exact reason I went will catch vs release. Was pretty much the plan from the beginning to do all those changes when I got the bike. But I don't see for any reason release 29 owners couldn't run 27.5+ if they wanted to? At least the option is there Vs The standard release only being able to run 27.5...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.