Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since my pot of gold clearly is not hiding in Chico.

But, how is the mountain biking? Sure, they've got forests, mountains, and trails, but does the excessive rain ruin the riding? There are currently only 40 people viewing the WA forum as opposed to 299 viewing NorCal. Maybe that's a red flag that the mountain biking is "meh...not so much"?

I don't want to ask them if their scene is worthwhile...that'd might be like asking a cat forum if cats are cool. I'd rather first ask if anybody here in NorCal, where mountain biking is what mountain biking ought to be, has any experience/knowledge/opinions riding in the Seattle area.

·
ride ride ride
133 Posts
I have a good friend who was arguably one of the most competent all mountain riders in the bay area (and also an extremely talented bike mechanic) who moved up to Seattle several years ago. Mountain biking was his passion. Seattle is difficult for him ... between the demands of a young family, having a job, and a wife who does most of the breadwinning, he finds little time to bike because the riding that he finds worth while is far out of the city. Of course, your situation may be different ... and you may well be satisfied with the lay of the land up there.

·
Birthday Collector
2,610 Posts
I have a good friend that moved up there earlier this year. Really good, strong rider and good mechanical skills - real talent for adventure racing team member as she also can run and paddle, etc... She is not riding much the last few months. She's found some great places to ride within an hour or so of the city proper, but it is so wet and muddy that she is not too motivated because of all the bike cleaning - that is if she gets motivated enough to go because it's also chilly and wet. This year is a bit wetter than most, but my family moved up there 20 years ago, and I have visited many times. I could not live up there, even though in the summer Seattle is one of the most beautiful cities anywhere. Most of the people I have met are really nice too - but I still would not head up myself!

·
VEGAN ATHLETE Racing
1,159 Posts
Get into cyclocross and you'll be fine.
And, it's not just a shell, it's waterproof socks, pants, a jacket, hood and really, really good gloves.

I lived in PDX for 4 years, I understand Seattle's weather is worse.

Pretty sure Seattle has a "skills" park under one of the bridges in the city. In Portland, in the winter, we'd do a lot of urban riding. If you have time you can head east too to the rainshadow.

I don't know about the trails situation around Seattle though.

·
hilarious
210 Posts
Rain's not so bad.

I went to school in Seattle and Bellingham -- then made my way to California via Oregon.

Portland DEFINITELY has worse weather than Seattle. Seattle is rainy but will get some nice clear sunny days in the winter. Portland rarely sees the sun until June or July.

When you live in the rain, you get used to it. So don't worry about that. The real issue with Seattle is that you really do have to drive at least an hour to get to a decent ride. CX -- sure (but it's so different!). Bellingham is more manageable. You can ride pretty much right out of town

As a plus -- Seattle has better food and nicer people ;)

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Seattle riding sucks..... :)

We all are terrible riders with mud on everything and never get tan. The trails are terrible and far from any place you will live.

Awful. Really. Don't go.

But, if you do, Check the local club page for rides and the trail wiki is pretty decent. www.bbtc.org

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to figure it out between Chico, Sac-Town, and Sea-Town...or somewhere else...
I'll really really miss Bidwell Park and the rest of Chico if I leave, but there are no jobs here and I've got to bust a move quickly as I've absolutely had it with Yoda's crap. He is officially and absolutely less than nothing to me. We're all raised to "respect our elders", but when somebody is a complete a-hole his entire life, he doesn't just get a free pass simply for having lived a long time.
Sac-Town is not much more promising either.

·
Butcher
529 Posts
w00t! said:
Thanks for the advice. I'm trying to figure it out between Chico, Sac-Town, and Sea-Town...or somewhere else...
I'll really really miss Bidwell Park and the rest of Chico if I leave, but there are no jobs here and I've got to bust a move quickly as I've absolutely had it with Yoda's crap. He is officially and absolutely less than nothing to me. We're all raised to "respect our elders", but when somebody is a complete a-hole his entire life, he doesn't just get a free pass simply for having lived a long time.
What kind of work are you looking for?

·
organically fed
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
nickelbolt said:
What kind of work are you looking for?
This question should be easy to answer, but I don't really have one. After enjoying some measure of success in the first half of the decade as a fancy landscape and pool designer/contractor, I've walked away from that whole scene. You know, the economy and all...the common man can no longer buy what I was selling.
So basically, I'm resetting my life back to age 24 (post-Marine Corps) and searching for my bliss. My downward spiral has hit bottom, so now I just need to find the right set of stairs and start climbin'. My biggest regret is that I didn't listen to all the "old people" who told me to get an education in business rather than in some trade. I'd actually be thrilled to just work at a bike shop and be a starving student (business major, of course).

·
Just Gettin Started
43 Posts

·
I am lost, I'm no guide
1,145 Posts
Seattle kicks as**!

w00t! said:
I've been there about 10 times over the past 10 years and I absolutely love the town. To an extent, it reminds me of Santa Cruz on steroids with the culture, people, vibe, etc... You have to like rain, cold, and an occasional blizzard though.

Curious though... Who is "Yoda?"

·
Registered
422 Posts
other factors

The caveats about rain (or maybe more crucial for some, lack of sunshine) are true. However. In the I-5 corridor north of I-90 the soil type changes, and we have less clay, so we have LOTS of good riding (lowland, not in the mountains) during the Oct-May period. And some pretty fun small riding areas very close or even within the metro area. And yes, check out the Backcountry Bicycle Trails Club at www.bbtc.org .

The only thing I wish we had more of is rock gardens.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
Oh Tom, we have rock gardens. ;)
Griffin for lowland local (river rock glacial till) and anything above treeline or near it during the summer months...

w00t! Like I tell everyone, just come up on vacation and see if it fits you. Winter was awesome for snow sports and it's nice to put the bike away for a while anyways. Sierra Cement/Cascade Concrete=same thing so you'll be at home.

I do think it's funny the NorCal list is so busy. The WA forum seems "just right".

Go there for ride reports and some pretty awesome shots of what it's like when the clouds part....

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh Tom, we have rock gardens.

You're right of course, Borneo! I mean MORE gardens, closer to Seattle. Back when I rode trials motorcycles I always looked forward to (read, "dreaded") events at Reiter Pit because of the bowling ball-sized rock dry creek bed sections. Never got enough practice on them then. Not much better now. Only real rock gardens I've encountered recently were in NorCal: Rockville Park in Fairfield (when my son was in grad school at Davis) has a great trail called, whaddyaknow, "Rock Garden". I could clean some lines going up, but not before cutting my leg open biffing on a practice run. :madman: There's also Cornell Run in Lynn Woods in the Boston area. We need to make a couple sections like that at Colonnade.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.