Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me some info on the DH scene there? Lift service mountains, race series, anything. I think I remember seeing some posts on this but haven't had much luck finding anything.

·
Toby Wong?
1,307 Posts
bend is a great great town

the DH scene is "growing"

Cline Butte - local private land with DH course (check w/ Hutch's Bikes)
Willamette Pass - lift served stuff, about 90 minues away
Hood River - 4 hour drive and main OR freeride scene
Portland/Seattle - 4 to 6 hours to drive to, don't know about those scenes

the XC/epic rides here are great. more miles of smooth flowing singletrack than you can shake a stick at. lower elevation Phils Trail, et all provide the after work spin. Swampy Lakes or Bachelor to town is higher up in elevation and is the 3-4 hour downhill XC action. Shuttles for those with Cog Wild (www.cogwild.com) they are a great resource for shuttles.

Then you have the McKenzie River Trail and the huge network in Oakridge...epic ride delights for a lifetime

for most of these trails, 6" travel is more than enough. I like 5".

Singlespeeders and 29"ers love this place. whatev.

congrats, look forward to having you here

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
That's funny that you're moving there, cause I just read a little write up on Bend in the latest issue of Decline. It's supposed to be the new hot place to live for mountain biking. I don't really remember what it said, but apparently a bunch of pros are living there or are moving there soon, and the mag called it the "new durango."

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow

Thanks! This is all great freakin news. I can't wait to get there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bend kicks a ton of ass in general. Especially if Mt. Bachelor starts running lifts for mountain biking. If you ski, climb, raft, or hike its just a totally awesome place. I'm also going to have to tell you to hit the Westside Cafe as soon as possible.

CA

·
Frequent Flyer
411 Posts
I hear the riding isnt the best in Bend, however, as others have mentioned, Hood River is just down the road, and the riding there is some of the best anywhere. And its not a four hour drive, its more like 2 probably. So yea, you are very lucky to be so close. Check out www.gfra.org for some more info about hood river.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You're stoked!

Bend is a XC town for sure. Go to Bend cyclery/bend ski company, right next door to the westside bakery, on Galveston st. Eric(the owner) is a sicko downhiller/freerider, and the crew that hangs there are all about freeriding, he is the ultimate hookup for that kind of riding. Hutches(it's actually right across the street from bend cyclery) is cool, they have some pretty serious XC riders, and alot of those guys made the trails that everyone rides today. Better invest in the biggest camelback you can get, because you will be around some of the longest epics to ride in Oregon.

·
100% Cheesy Goodness
489 Posts
racing info go to www.obra.org. Falls city outside of salem is my current favorite place to ride. its got the goods. Its mostly hike a bike or granny gear to the top, but its more than worth it. that place is going to be totally wicked in the coming months. Also there are more and more free ride areas popping up all of the time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.