Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I guess I should introduce myself. I'm a convert from a 2003 Stumpjumper and I tend to be a set it and forget it kind of rider. I have not shopped for a bike since 2003 but I knew I wanted to upgrade to a boutique manufacturer and build up a bike this time. After going around the horn with yeti, VPP designs, DW.link, and learning that there is basically a whole new category of bikes now between XC race and enduro I have settle on the Motolite.

I'm in Maryland and will do most of my riding in local areas like Patapsco State Park. I am 190-195 lbs, 5'11.5", and ride cross country but like to goof off with obstacles and such for fun.

You guys (and gals) have a nice forum here where I have already learned a lot. I was a Titus n00b a couple of weeks ago and now I can explain to friends how manufacturing left the states for 2006 and 2008 and them returned to SAPA in 2008....blah blah blah.

Anyway - I am getting from Bikerbob a 2008 Motolite with RP23 shock, headset, and Fox TALAS fork. Titus had a promotion through Dec31 that will net me a set of new Crank Bros Candy SL pedals.

What I have that will be re-used for certain from my Stumpjumper are the Mavic wheelset, tires, cranks/BB(new raceface), chain and cassette (new SRAM). I already bid on a set of Magura Marta SL on Ebay for brakes and I am pretty certain I want a Thompson seatpost (can’t reuse mine as different diameter.)

I was going to try to shy away from Shimano for this build (not for any particular reason other than building something less mainstream.) I was reading reviews on the SRAM derailleurs and both the X.0 and the X.9 seems to either get raves or flames – no consistency in the ratings. Can’t make sense of it. Seems like people break both with some regularity but they shift nice if not broken. What is the deal? I reviewed the Motolite setup database thread and it seems like there are plenty of X.0 and X.9 users. What is the difference and how does it apply to me? I guess the X.0 are a little lighter/sexier and more XC race oriented. Are the X.9 sturdier? The reviews are all over the map. I wonder if the Shimano shills go on the SRAM reviews and sandbag the ratings and then vice versa.

I also need to choose shifter, stem, handlebar, grips, and saddle. Any thoughts? My research is making my head spin!?!? I'd like to keep the bike somewhat light as I enjoy fast XC and climbing but the components have to be at least as burly as the frame and at 195 lbs I don' t notice a few grams (or a pound or two) here and there.

I look forward to getting involved here on this forums. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Your in good hands

Bob is a stand up guy. Have you considered an El Guapo? If you like to jump off of things you should. After a few months on a Motolite, you are going to want to jump off bigger things, the EG can handle that and still climb as good (if not better) than the Motolite. Just my .02. I think XO and X-9 are basically the same, XO just is nicer looking and more $. First time you brake the XO der, you will wish you had bought an X-9. I know there are problems with shimano der. on Motolites banging on the rear drop out, SRAM's dont do that.

·
sit! stay!
1,125 Posts
craigstr said:
Bob is a stand up guy. Have you considered and El Guapo? If you like to jump off of things you should. After a few months on a Motolite, you are going to want to jump off bigger things, the EG can handle that and still climb as good (if not better) than the Motolite. Just my .02. I think XO and X-9 are basically the same, XO just is nicer looking and more $. First time you brake the XO der, you will wish you had bought an X-9. I know there are problems with shimano der. on Motolites banging on the rear drop out, SRAM's dont do that.
ditto that...

·
Registered
663 Posts
My 07 ML II is 15 months old and has been ridden hard with no issues. Have gripshift w XO rear, thompson masterpiece seatpost, Marta SL's, Easton MonkeyLite bars, Syncros all mountain stem and WTB seat.

After one full year I'm on my 2nd chain, 2nd pair of cables / housing, 3rd pair of tires and 2nd pair of brake pads. I like the Propedal 3 (FIRM) setting for the rear shock and alternate between the 100 & 140 travel setting on the Fox fork.

Recent changes:

I ditched the big ring in favor of a race face bash guard. I mainly ride the middle ring with a occasional drop to the granny.

Have been running BMX style tire set up with 2.1 Geax Barro Mtn on rear and 2.3 up front. For UST I prefer the Barro's for non-UST I have had good luck with the Intense system 4 2.25's.

Good luck on the build out - you will love this bike.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Bob will steer you right. He is our resident expert on the Motolites. If you like a distinct snap for a feel for shifting go SRAM. If you like smooth as butter shifting go Shimano. I use both setups (Shimano on HT's and SRAM on DS's) and have no beefs with either setup. SRAM X9 will save you alot over XO and SRAM stuff seems to be lower priced then Shimano if buying non-OEM. Look at the motolite setup threads. Lotsa different ways to build the Motolite( XC vs heavy Trail bikes).

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
craigstr said:
Bob is a stand up guy. Have you considered an El Guapo? If you like to jump off of things you should. After a few months on a Motolite, you are going to want to jump off bigger things, the EG can handle that and still climb as good (if not better) than the Motolite. Just my .02. I think XO and X-9 are basically the same, XO just is nicer looking and more $. First time you brake the XO der, you will wish you had bought an X-9. I know there are problems with shimano der. on Motolites banging on the rear drop out, SRAM's dont do that.
Ditto on the horst link banging with Shimano stuff. I'll go SRAM next time.:thumbsup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.