Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
sinner
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And you had a 5 Pack w/ a new used pushed Rp3.(thanks whipcord) Would you run a coil sprung fork or would you stick w/ an all air sprung bike?

I want to replace the front fork and I am looking at a Z1 10 anvi. edtion. I have a Fox 140 RLC right now but I don't really like it. It rides better dropped to 100mm on my hardtail.

I plan on ride up and down stuff on my 5pack and I generally beat the crap out of stuff.

Any thoughts?

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
it used to be a big deal to mix n match but with todays air shocks and forks gettin so plush, the field is almost level by comparison. for reliability sake, ya might wanna do a coil since yer hard on parts. plus that anni model is just too cool. not sure if it has updated internals or not. havent looked that close.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
If you want to stick with air, consider RS's Pike or their QR version (Revalation?) A fab fork on the Spot. Should be great on the 5 Pack as some folks are even running it on the 6P.

If you're riding really hard you might want a bigger fork though. Maybe go for a 66SL and a longer set of rockers? Turner may have some leftover '06 rockers at a reduced price.

·
sinner
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am on the fence about getting bigger rockers. I ride east coast gnar most of the time and I like the fact that the 5pack is a fast in the woods. It descends pretty good and climbs great. If I drop the bottom bracket I assume it will descend better but I might not like it in the woods,

I also have a Highline riding the steeper stuff.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Myself and appbling ride 5 packs with the 66 up front. I have a SL set at 160-165mm AA runs a RC2X at thefull 170. Works super for tech east coast riding.

If lower weight is your goal then the Pike SL or AM1SL might be the better choice.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
I would stick with the RP3 and maybe try the medium air can for the RP3. But it really depends on what you want to do with the bike. Which rockers do you have on your Pack?

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Try and find a closeout 06 Z1 light w/ETA - it is basically the same as the 07 Z1 10th anniversary - FWIW I have a few rides on a closeout 06 Z1 SL on my 06 RFX and really like it. I actually bought a 66 Light and thought it was too much fork - given you have a Highline already I do not think you need a 66 so go with a Z1.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
These days the "gap" in performance between air sprung and coil sprung suspension units is narrowing. I have a coil sprung rear and an air sprung front end, and it feels fine.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
wilks said:
Try and find a closeout 06 Z1 light w/ETA - it is basically the same as the 07 Z1 10th anniversary - FWIW I have a few rides on a closeout 06 Z1 SL on my 06 RFX and really like it. I actually bought a 66 Light and thought it was too much fork - given you have a Highline already I do not think you need a 66 so go with a Z1.
FWIW...the 06 Z1 light ETA and the 06 66SL weigh the same (well, within just a few grams).

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
SSINGA said:
FWIW...the 06 Z1 light ETA and the 06 66SL weigh the same (well, within just a few grams).
That is interesting - what I love about the Z1 SL is the 538mm A-C which seems perfect for climbing and descending and is 3mm away from what DT himself specs for the 06 RFX. I am happy not to have to worry about winding the fork up or down / ETA etc. based on the terrain. The Z1 light has the same A-C obviously which is why I suggested a Z1 Light or 10th Anniv for the OP.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
greenfishsports.com has the 2006 Z1 SL for $399, it is the 66SL in a Z1 package. A very good looking fork (on paper) if performance is on par with the 66.

_MK

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
FoShizzle said:
i have heard that your rear feels anything but fine....I'm just sayin.....
You know, I was pretty sure when I posted that that I would be the recipient of a rear end joke. And you can't just run with heresay, you should check it out yourself. It's the only part of my body that hasn't started drooping yet.

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Hmmm, we're all over the map on this one...

SSINGA said:
Myself and appbling ride 5 packs with the 66 up front. I have a SL set at 160-165mm AA runs a RC2X at thefull 170. Works super for tech east coast riding.
Dude, I don't know how you guys do it. I run my [email protected] 158mm on 6" geometry and any more makes the steering too slow and the front too floaty on clilmbs...and I'm used to slower floaty setups (Spot w/Z1 since '03)

Itch, Most of the responders thus far are East Coast riders too. But you know your preference better than anyone...plus you have a highline so you may not want more travel.

Personally I like a slightly higher BB for all the rocks and logs I get on trail riding. When I switch from my RFX back to my 5 Spot, I'm bashing into things all over the place.

·
Outcast
8,588 Posts
Bikezilla said:
So then your testicles will soon be external afterall.
Why not; perhaps it's better to just get rid of the things, they only get you in trouble anyway.They either have you looking at all the young things [btw, that is not the source of my problems right now :D ], or they get you to do stoopid stuff on the bike.
BTW, the abyss is no longer an abyss, but a large speedbump instead. there is a future.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
itchyjesus said:
... I generally beat the crap out of stuff....
That statement usually does not go too well with air sprung suspension. Seems pretty obvious to me that the majority of suspension problems that people are having almost all have air as the commonality. 66 SL, Lyric, Totem, stuck down rear shocks..see a trend?

Sure their many people out there with air sus that is working correctly, and the weight savings is worth it for some, The chance of problems WILL go up as more parts are used, and all air sus units use more parts and seals than their coil equivalents.

·
carpe mañana
7,309 Posts
davep said:
That statement usually does not go too well with air sprung suspension. Seems pretty obvious to me that the majority of suspension problems that people are having almost all have air as the commonality. 66 SL, Lyric, Totem, stuck down rear shocks..see a trend?

Sure their many people out there with air sus that is working correctly, and the weight savings is worth it for some, The chance of problems WILL go up as more parts are used, and all air sus units use more parts and seals than their coil equivalents.
You're bunching stuff up a bit much there. 66SL never had any problems (aside from misaligned lowers, which had nothing to do with air springs) until the ATA was introduced in 2007. And the problem is not associated with poor seals but the knob which moves too freely.

Lyrik indeed has an issue with seals in the 2 step. I don't recall any issues with the solo air version?

And Fox sure has been struggling with their rear shocks, but the problem there is compounded by the fact that the alignment of frames plays a major role in the failure rate of these and the frequency of maintenance. No other rear air shocks have this stuck down problem Fox has, go figure. (And somehow Fox outsells the rest of them put together)

Anywho, for reliability, you ought to keep your suspension elements simple. It appears that although air forks have matured to the point they can be trusted, the travel adjust mechanisms need a generation or two before they're ready for prime time.

_MK

·
Lay off the Levers
10,127 Posts
Let us not forget the incontinent Romics, the popping DHX-Cs, the Drippy 5th-Es ...
Come to think of it, maybe we should give up suspension all together.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.