Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mid-day client canceled today, leaving it wide open for riding (well, until 3). The temps were in the 70's and there was a breeze, there was no way I was going to pass up this riding opportunity! I gave grannyannie a call as she had mentioned riding today earlier in the week (I had declined due to the client). Alas, she was unavailable, I was solo, as usual.

Since my Tuesday ride felt like I was pedaling through cement I decided to take it slow at first, just to see how the legs were churning. I started with Rustler's and felt that same sluggish unresponsive sensation, as if my legs were couch potatoes, balking at the very idea of movement. Ugh! I pushed through the first part of the loop and my legs seemed to flush the molasses out of the system. Soon I was zipping along happily and I could feel everything work back into harmony.

About halfway I saw them, their return is so welcomed. The heralding of spring and good weather every year. I never tire of them. I stopped for photos and took many. Here are just a couple.

I finished up Rustler's and happen to start up Mary's at the same time a large group headed up the hill. Having only one gear I had no choice but to stand and hammer up the hill. I felt a little rude passing all but one of them, but I wasn't going to wait until the hill was clear. I soon passed the leader and headed to Horsethief. I stopped for one photo and that was to be the last for the day.

A little over halfway I ran into Holly. She wasn't on her Turner today, but was out training for a marathon, that girl's sick, her goal was a mere 20 miles of running... No thanks!

At the end of the loop I met up with some Front Range friends of mine and we all continued together out Mary's. They headed up to Moore Fun while I took Steve's with the intention of riding the loop and heading back. Somehow I found myself wondering if I should attempt Moore Fun on the rigid ss. Instead of doing the entire loop of Steve's/Handcuffs, I ended up at the trailhead marking the point between Mack and Moore Fun. I must have been sick in the head. Luckily, KgB saved me from myself. He was just finishing up Moore Fun with a couple friends from Summit County when I saw him. It didn't take much persuasion to get me to join them for a return for Steve's and back to the cars.

So my solo ride was really anything but, considering how many people I saw (that I knew), especially if you include Geno (another Front Range friend) and Gene (local Fruita guy).

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
I clearly need to go on a bike vacation

I have only been in South and North Carolina on my bike. Today I decided not to push my legs since I will be riding tomorrow and Sunday. I ended up cutting grass and planting flowers for about four hours instead :rolleyes: not the way to spend the day off.
There seem to be a lot of biking meccas out west. Where is that at Screampint?

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
I have relatives in Colorado

but I think they might be suspicious if I stop by for the first time with my bike. :D I'll have to see what I can cook up. My husband has no vacation time tilll......who knows so I just burn my days for long weekends (like today). Maybe he won't get too mad if I go on a bike vacation without him, right? maybe?

·
Des(s)ert Rat
4,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I doubt they live on our side of the mountains (Western Slope). Most of the population lives on the Front Range (Eastern Slope), and that's about 4 hours away. However, there is some great riding on the Front Range, it's not the desert riding, but it's still good.

·
consistent default champ
747 Posts
Are there any women specific training camps?

Maybe I can find out on Team Estrogen....Now if I was going to an all female camp for a week I might be able to go on a vacation by myself. I can't seem to get my brothers interested in riding(one went one time but I guess I should have taken him somewhere easier because he keeps having reasons not to go again) and my sisters are out of the question (one does not like sweating).
If it is desert riding I'd probably wait till closer to fall. Gives me time to save money too

·
Registered
656 Posts
brownieinSC said:
Maybe I can find out on Team Estrogen....Now if I was going to an all female camp for a week I might be able to go on a vacation by myself. I can't seem to get my brothers interested in riding(one went one time but I guess I should have taken him somewhere easier because he keeps having reasons not to go again) and my sisters are out of the question (one does not like sweating).
If it is desert riding I'd probably wait till closer to fall. Gives me time to save money too
And if you have not saved enough money by fall, come to Spring Fling in AZ next March(I am assuming there will be another Spring Fling, after 5 years). :D

Rita

Or do both? :eek:

·
cyclemaven.net
364 Posts
Gosh, that's beautiful

You know, I tried not to click on it, but it's like an accident that you just can't look away from...

I've had a beautiful day (went hiking with a friend), but this is a nice topper. Thanks

·
asleep by 10:00pm
320 Posts
brownieinSC said:
Hi- the 'women's wilderness organization' is running a women's riding clinic/camp out here (fruita) this next weekend with juli furtado. it's furtado's first clinic since retiring so it should be a good one. they also have several other talented ladies helping out with the instruction. they are re-running the clinic in the fall too, check out their web site for more info. the fall is great out here for cycling to boot.

cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.