Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyways, I was riding home after a bit of a night session on my freeride bike. A cop pulled up to me, got out, and had me stop. I was with a buddy. He just wanted to talk to us a bit and warned us in how 1/10 drivers on Saturday nights is drunk blah blah blah. Then he proceeded to tell me what I was doing wrong. He told me he could ticket me for riding down the sidewalk when the street was open, not having reflecters plastered all over my bike (apparently I need one on my bars, seat post which is too slammed to fit one anyways, one on each of my atomlab pimp wheels, and somehow I need to figure out how to get two on each of my 5050s. Then he told me I need to look into getting a horn or bell.

Would you ever imagine what one of these would look like all plastered out with reflectors and bells. I might as well get a damn basket, kickstand, training wheels, and some streamers while I'm at it.

·
Pivotal figure
6,361 Posts
If they keep hassling you just get some reflective tape. I use it on my commuter rig, barely even noticeable . Stiil kinda goofy on a FR bike though...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha yeah the frame is bent still. I can't afford a new frame untill winter though so I dished the wheel to the drive side a bit so it doesn't hit the frame. And I'm gonna risk riding it untill then and just keep a careful watch on it.

And I perfer my basket on the front.

·
Registered
67 Posts
same thing happend to me but i ws going to school cop pulled me over for going to fast having head phones on and riding on the side walk but there was no bike lane and so on hahaha

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
infagon said:
same thing happend to me but i ws going to school cop pulled me over for going to fast having head phones on and riding on the side walk but there was no bike lane and so on hahaha
Haha yay I'm not alone. I haven't been busted for the headphones or speed yet. I'm hoping a cop on a bicycle tries to get me one day, I'll go for a little Urban DH race with him, Red Bull style. Think they can huck down an escalator on their patrol bikes?

·
Is flexy
1,559 Posts
You might out run them on a bike but you aren't getting away from the car they call for back up. Not sure the laws where you are but here in Jersey bikes are treated the same as cars in terms of traffic violations. You can get a DUI on a bike and they can take your drivers license for a motor vehicle too although a cop has to be pretty sleezy or you gotta be a complete danger to society for a cop to give you a DUI on a bike. (lets encourage drunks drive cars over bikes since it is the same penalty) When we sell bikes at the shop I work at every customer initials 8 times and signs at the bottom of the form... the 8 points pretty much cover everything they stopped you for too.

·
Bikes Rule
1,133 Posts
Yep you had a bunch of moving violations there. Reflectors on the front, rear, wheels and pedals are required for riding at night. Plus a bicycle is considered a moving vehicle and cannot use sidewalks. That of course depends on the state/city you live in...

Sucks but them the rules... At least he didn't give you a ticket.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess not apparently. It has to be neon orange to not need reflectors. Drivers will see the Neon Green glowing and think it is a green light and accelerate towards me.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You know I may have figured it out. He might be an avid roadie. One of the ones who totally cannot stand mountain bikers, freeriders especially.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
Where I live, you actually have to run a light at night... It has to be one where other people can see you. My friend got pulled over on his bike (drunk) and told the cop it was a stupid law and to shut up... He got shoved in the car 10 seconds later. :rolleyes:

·
thats right living legend
6,360 Posts
Where I live we don't have any of those b#llsh^t liberal nanny laws yet. If your on a bike around here over the age of 12, people pretty much just feel sorry for ya. :thumbsup:

They may even offer you a ride.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
it's illegal to ride your bike on the sidewalk, yet the bike cops here ride on the sidewalk almost exclusively.... but they ride specializeds, so it's almost expected.

·
Hey! Watch This!
75 Posts
So, I have this question. If you get a ticket while riding your bike, how is the ticket enforced? You don't have to present a drivers license, you don't need a license to drive a bike. They can't get your tag number, bikes don't have tags.

So how can they enforce a fine on a bike?

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.