Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone needs to kill some time on a hump Wednesday I put together a short vid after trying out a new video setup for mountainbiking. Please follow this LINK and right click and save the file to your hard drive. The file is about 26mb and runs approx 6mins.

Feel free to leave feedback, hate mail, and suggestions. I'm a total noob at this stuff.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Nice job, really smooth. You must have some strong neck muscles or something. The trail sure looks fun as well. I like how the music synced with you passing the hikers.

Any way to cut the wind noise track out? Nice ride.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SCUBAPRO said:
Very Nice CSD!

What kinda camera set-up did you use for that?
Thanks. Since my helmets do their job and take the occasional hit I decided against mounting an expensive digicam. I bought a "lipstick" camera from Viosport with the Sony Ex-View CCD (520 lines of resolution). For the vid you saw I used an 80% neutral density filter over the lens, but the colors were still washed out. Yesterday I rode the same trails under near identical lighting conditions with a 50% ND filter and the results were much better. Looking at the footage side by side you wouldn't know they were from the same camera.

I run the feed from helmet camera into a miniDV cam into a padded case stuffed into my Camelbak.

mtbjc280 said:
Any way to cut the wind noise track out?
Yeah, that was an oversight on my part, especially at the beginning. I wanted to leave a little in, but its still a bit intrusive.

·
Team Sanchez
4,369 Posts
Good stuff clyde. I always prefer to see footage following another rider. It is hard to visualize how steep or rocky a trail is without a rider in front to give some perspective. I know that trail very well, so I am able to do so. Do you ever ride down the trail just past the Chutes turn off on the right? We used to call it Waterfall. It was one of my favorites in OC.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
El Chingon said:
Good stuff clyde. I always prefer to see footage following another rider. It is hard to visualize how steep or rocky a trail is without a rider in front to give some perspective. I know that trail very well, so I am able to do so. Do you ever ride down the trail just past the Chutes turn off on the right? We used to call it Waterfall. It was one of my favorites in OC.
Thanks, El C. Yes, I know Waterfall well. Its one of my favorites, too. Its on my short list of trails to film soon, but it looks like rain for the next couple of days, then Santa Ana winds over the weekend. Argh.

Random Drivel, glad you liked the vid and didn't mind the noise. Thanks.

·
Brass Nipples!
2,006 Posts
I liked your vid a lot.

It may just be me, but I think you need to angle your camera up a little. I personally like the vanishing point to be between one third and one half the way down from the top.

Im experimenting with a wind baffle for my microphone. I currently am using 2 layers of the foam that came with my avid disc brakes zip tied around the mic. The guy I bought my camera from said you could also use layers of panty hose material.

·
Amphibious Technologies
3,472 Posts
Clyde S Dale said:
Thanks. Since my helmets do their job and take the occasional hit I decided against mounting an expensive digicam. I bought a "lipstick" camera from Viosport with the Sony Ex-View CCD (520 lines of resolution). For the vid you saw I used an 80% neutral density filter over the lens, but the colors were still washed out. Yesterday I rode the same trails under near identical lighting conditions with a 50% ND filter and the results were much better. Looking at the footage side by side you wouldn't know they were from the same camera.

I run the feed from helmet camera into a miniDV cam into a padded case stuffed into my Camelbak.
Thanks for the info. Sounds like a really nice set-up.:thumbsup:

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
i finally got it to play once i swapped it over to quicktime. this is not a good 1st attempt, its a very good 1st attempt! ill agree with bob, a tad more angle will help to live the ride just like the wind noise did for me. who was that on the soundtrack? it sounds kinda familliar but i cant recall who. was it the same band and the 2nd track who played on the 1st? damn! who was that?

so guys, whats it cost to get a rig like this? i mean everything. besides a tired old comp with 11g, ive got nuthin.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cactuscorn said:
i finally got it to play once i swapped it over to quicktime. this is not a good 1st attempt, its a very good 1st attempt! ill agree with bob, a tad more angle will help to live the ride just like the wind noise did for me.
Thanks for the feedback. As you and BtW suggest I'll try a little different perspective on the cam. The Bell X-Ray has only one good mount so I'll have to shim the camera a bit.

cactuscorn said:
who was that on the soundtrack? it sounds kinda familliar but i cant recall who. was it the same band and the 2nd track who played on the 1st? damn! who was that?
If you don't know WHO made that music you must be suffering from quadrophenia.

cactuscorn said:
so guys, whats it cost to get a rig like this? i mean everything. besides a tired old comp with 11g, ive got nuthin.
For the camera gear alone I paid about $420. That included the camera (with AA battery holder, various cables and mic) with the stock lens (72 deg field of view), an additional wide angle (92d FOV), a set of neutral density filters, a spare glass cover and some tools, an improved mount for the camera, and something else I'm prolly forgetting. You could get started with a lower res cam and fewer goodies for a lot less.

You'll also need a video camera (preferable digital) to record and (more than likely) a Firewire port on your PC.

For software on the PC to capture and edit your footage you could pay anywhere from $50 to several thousand. I used Sony Vegas Platinum + DVD (msrp $130) on sale recently at newegg.com for $59 after a rebate. To keep start up costs down you could start with Microsoft's free MovieMaker 2 (or iMovie if you're on a Mac). For what it is its actually decent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.