Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
actually 2 Jones's. I rode his personal 26er and a 29er. I spent most of the time on his fully compliant 26" single speed with his custom truss fork. It is extremely quick and ultra maneuverable. I only rode the 29er on the climb up the fire road. But, the differences between the 2 bikes are obvious. The 29er was set-up to be an all day epic sort of ride with the BW.8 and 18 speeds.
We discussed the geometry of my bike and it looks like it will be a cross between the 2 bikes I rode. Fully vertically compliant 29er with truss fork and some geometry tweaks. Like a more stable version of his personal 26er.
Things I noticed about the space frame:
Yes, you do feel the compliance. Especially with the ultra-long seat post. It has that extra give (something I can't say about my KM). And talk about laterally stiff. No flex. The concept definitely works.
The truss fork is incredible. ZERO fore and aft flex. Yet way more comfortable than my KM fork.
Of course I have the H-Bars already so there was nothing new to me there (FANTASTIC).

Basically, with Jeff Jones the sky is the limit. He isn't hindered by old concepts and preconceived notions. He actually told me that he did not build the bikes the way he does for aesthetic reasons. Purely performance driven. You could have fooled me! Both frames I saw were absolutely beautiful with incredible welds and great attention to detail.

Any questions?

Attachments

·
Bored
1,982 Posts
the bridge

Incredible gap jump. I'd hate to case that one. Looks like it would be a good fall.

Good review too, it's just that picture really makes it hard to read the the context of the message.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I saw him land that thing...

bigwheelboy_490 said:
Incredible gap jump. I'd hate to case that one. Looks like it would be a good fall.

Good review too, it's just that picture really makes it hard to read the the context of the message.
Jeff is a very gifted technical rider. There is little to no runway up to the gap. You basically get one pedal stroke then you have to pull up as hard as you can. He landed that bridge gap like it was nothing. I was happy to watch ;-)

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes

ncj01 said:
is the ST welded to the Chainstay/TT?
You can see the little cross bar in the picture of the rear of the bike. Depending on how much room there is this little coross bars moves from the rear to the front of the seat tube.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,017 Posts
That 26" bikes looks to have super short chainstays, even the seat tube seems to be placed forward and than slackened to make room for the rear wheel. Must be for a standing climbers, seated I can hardly imagine to ride a steep hill on that bike without tumbing back.
A Jones fully compiant 29"er that's my new dream bike. I wonder if the truss forks can be made to be suspension-corrcted, just in case, and somehow keep the handlebars down. Since I like my bars low, perhaps I'd have to ride it with WTB-like drop bars. I totally fell in love with the H-bars I rode around the parking lot of the SS Worlds this weekend, though. You don't hold the bars, you pull them on, and they're a natural fit.

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, they are short..

Cloxxki said:
That 26" bikes looks to have super short chainstays, even the seat tube seems to be placed forward and than slackened to make room for the rear wheel. Must be for a standing climbers, seated I can hardly imagine to ride a steep hill on that bike without tumbing back.
A Jones fully compiant 29"er that's my new dream bike. I wonder if the truss forks can be made to be suspension-corrcted, just in case, and somehow keep the handlebars down. Since I like my bars low, perhaps I'd have to ride it with WTB-like drop bars. I totally fell in love with the H-bars I rode around the parking lot of the SS Worlds this weekend, though. You don't hold the bars, you pull them on, and they're a natural fit.
This is what Jeff told me about this bike:
If you look at the seat it is nearly directly over the rear axle. And he is running a 2.4" tire front and rear. Jeff designed this bike for himself. He rides very technically (he rides like a trials rider). He wanted to be able to unweight the front wheel easily when downhilling. I guess the climbing aspect doesn't bother him because he (like me) stands on the climbs on a single speed. Extremely short chainstays help with traction while standing. Whereas geared bikes prefer a longer chain stay to keep you nearer the front of the bike to keep the front wheel down. If you compare the geared 29er to the 26" SS you can easily see these attributes reflected.

If you really want to trip out look at the rake of the fork...

Bryce

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cloxxki...

Cloxxki said:
. I wonder if the truss forks can be made to be suspension-corrcted, just in case, and somehow keep the handlebars down. Since I like my bars low, perhaps I'd have to ride it with WTB-like drop bars. I totally fell in love with the H-bars I rode around the parking lot of the SS Worlds this weekend, though. You don't hold the bars, you pull them on, and they're a natural fit.
He can make you the fork in any length, rake or offset you want. Jeff hand bends and forms all of the tubing himself. No precut stuff. You could also get the frontend down by shortening the head-tube. Both of these bikes have very long head-tubes. Anything can be done.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey that's my bike!

Hello All

Jeff mentioned to me that my new bike had made the 29er board. Wow talk about fast! I don't even have the bike yet myself!!

I'll write a ride report when I've had a chance to put some miles on it, but for now I'll give a little report about the bike, and the discussions involved to build it.

Bike - My previous mtb was a Fat City Ti Fat M/L frame, with a fournales carbon parallelorgram fork. It was geared, light, quick, handled good. It was pretty much the classic racing looking hardtail bike, with low flat bars. Early in the Spring when I saw some pictures of Jeffs bikes, though, I decided I'd make a change and try something different. So we discussed my FAT, I made bunches of measurements, and started becoming more educated on frame geometry. During the process, I changed from wanting a SS hardtail rigid 26er to a 29er (Result of reading as much 29 stuff as I could, and following the MikeSee reports in the GDR pushed me to29). I tried a rigid hardtail from a friend (A FAT Buckshaver with a Vicious fork and 2.4" tires) on the Poto (If you are SE Michigan you probably know this trail). Then I decided suspension fork was must-have for me (I don't enjoy rooty stairstep downhills rigid). That was a bit tough because the truss fork Jeff makes is soo nice. And then finally I decided on gears because 1). The cost difference btwn gears and SS was not really all that substantial to the overall cost 2). weight difference was not that much btwn SS and geared 3). for longer rides, gears make sense on the knee joints. Since I hardly ever use the big ring, a bash guard is mounted. That drove the basic spec of the bike. It has an EBB and removable der hanger for the flexibility to make it SS or Rohloff.

For geometry, I gave my trust to Jeff. I wanted a bike that would be more capable than my Ti FAT (After all, the new bike should be better than just a replacement of the old). The 29" wheels should be improvement- Added comfort, better rolling. The spaceframe should be improvement - More lateral rigidity, more comfort (Long seatpost, formed seat and chainstays), better standover, better tire clearance. The H bar should be improvement - More hand positions, more natural angle of grip. Jeff has test ridden the bike a few times now, and reports that it is excellent handling on the most technical trails, and it has comfort.

My experience with Jeff - Jeff is an absolute pleasure to work with. He always somehow makes time for my many questions (And I am sure he is doing same for others in parallel), as well as designing and building a bike for me! He has sent me pictures of the build in all phases, asked me questions about details as they come up (And provides pro and con for these details). And tho I have not yet seen my bike in person, I am sure I will be very happy with the quality of the build. I think Jeff deserves a lot of credit for designing and fabricating an innovative frame design, and the process and tools required to build it. As Motoman has said and Jeff also told me, he recieves all his raw material as straight tube stock. He bends all the tubes himself. I don't know of any other Ti builders who do this, but they somehow buy pre-bent tubes and make the frame that way. So Jeff has built in advantage in that he does not rely on these for his designs.

Sorry for the long post, but I do feel like this is an appropriate forum to give credit to Jeff and the machines he is crafting. I sure hope that he contines to build frames for a long while into the future so that I can get on his build list again (My son turns 18 in just 5 yrs)!

Bob

·
Kill your... television
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your bike is sweet.

All day comfortable and quick too. Gotta love those big wheels! After my test ride I put my name on the "LIST"... I figure that one year is long enough to save up the appropriate funds.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
"He bends all the tubes himself. I don't know of any other Ti builders who do this"

This bike was built from straight tubing in 99'.

Another example,

While there are not alot of folks bending Ti, there is more than just Jeff Jones.

·
Registered
298 Posts
bobde said:
Hello All

Jeff mentioned to me that my new bike had made the 29er board. Wow talk about fast! I don't even have the bike yet myself!!

I'll write a ride report when I've had a chance to put some miles on it, but for now I'll give a little report about the bike, and the discussions involved to build it.

Bike - My previous mtb was a Fat City Ti Fat M/L frame, with a fournales carbon parallelorgram fork. It was geared, light, quick, handled good. It was pretty much the classic racing looking hardtail bike, with low flat bars. Early in the Spring when I saw some pictures of Jeffs bikes, though, I decided I'd make a change and try something different. So we discussed my FAT, I made bunches of measurements, and started becoming more educated on frame geometry. During the process, I changed from wanting a SS hardtail rigid 26er to a 29er (Result of reading as much 29 stuff as I could, and following the MikeSee reports in the GDR pushed me to29). I tried a rigid hardtail from a friend (A FAT Buckshaver with a Vicious fork and 2.4" tires) on the Poto (If you are SE Michigan you probably know this trail). Then I decided suspension fork was must-have for me (I don't enjoy rooty stairstep downhills rigid). That was a bit tough because the truss fork Jeff makes is soo nice. And then finally I decided on gears because 1). The cost difference btwn gears and SS was not really all that substantial to the overall cost 2). weight difference was not that much btwn SS and geared 3). for longer rides, gears make sense on the knee joints. Since I hardly ever use the big ring, a bash guard is mounted. That drove the basic spec of the bike. It has an EBB and removable der hanger for the flexibility to make it SS or Rohloff.

For geometry, I gave my trust to Jeff. I wanted a bike that would be more capable than my Ti FAT (After all, the new bike should be better than just a replacement of the old). The 29" wheels should be improvement- Added comfort, better rolling. The spaceframe should be improvement - More lateral rigidity, more comfort (Long seatpost, formed seat and chainstays), better standover, better tire clearance. The H bar should be improvement - More hand positions, more natural angle of grip. Jeff has test ridden the bike a few times now, and reports that it is excellent handling on the most technical trails, and it has comfort.

My experience with Jeff - Jeff is an absolute pleasure to work with. He always somehow makes time for my many questions (And I am sure he is doing same for others in parallel), as well as designing and building a bike for me! He has sent me pictures of the build in all phases, asked me questions about details as they come up (And provides pro and con for these details). And tho I have not yet seen my bike in person, I am sure I will be very happy with the quality of the build. I think Jeff deserves a lot of credit for designing and fabricating an innovative frame design, and the process and tools required to build it. As Motoman has said and Jeff also told me, he recieves all his raw material as straight tube stock. He bends all the tubes himself. I don't know of any other Ti builders who do this, but they somehow buy pre-bent tubes and make the frame that way. So Jeff has built in advantage in that he does not rely on these for his designs.

Sorry for the long post, but I do feel like this is an appropriate forum to give credit to Jeff and the machines he is crafting. I sure hope that he contines to build frames for a long while into the future so that I can get on his build list again (My son turns 18 in just 5 yrs)!

Bob
Please post a review after you've ridden it a couple months.

Those pics make me want to sell all my bikes for One.

·
Registered
123 Posts
First Riding Report new Jones Bike

Hello all

Well I got my new Jones 29" wheeled mtn bike and now I've had the chance to ride it some. I wanted to post a review to all who are considering a Jones (Or maybe are now in the queue)!

The bike arrived well packed just as Jeff had said. Everything that could get knocked out of adjustment or poke thru the bike box was well padded. Jeff made nice use of masking tape with pen instructions how he had the bars, sti controlls adjusted, etc... Very easy to follow. And whle not necessary, it allowed me to set up the bike as baseline exactly as Jeff had tested it.

In person, the bike is visually very pretty. It seems tall at the front end due to the long headtube and 29" sus fork. Standover is excellent, but could even be better if I had chosen the curved rear seatstays. I did not think about this when I ordered. Nevertheless, with straight seatstays, frame is not too tall, even at the headtube area (I am 6ft, 34" inseam).

I first rode the bike around the neighborhood. STI shifting felt instantly natural. It seems ergonomic much better to me than rapidfire. Anyway, back to chassis... It seems weird to be sitting up and so comfortable. Sort of the beach cruiser position. I love the fact I can easily pop wheelies and ride them (My kid calls this the "Catwalk"). Handling seems just fine. Stiffness at BB and headtube is great. Oh, the H bars disappeared instantly and also seemed natural. They look wide tho, I am coming from narrow bars. The bike felt fast on-road with motoraptors. Everything felt stable.

I took it out to different trails. The bike seems to steer as quick as the Fat City Ti bike it has replaced. The bigger wheels do not seem to affect "Carving" in any bad way. I've ridden quite tight trails now, and the frame and tires do not get in the way at all (Even tho it looks big - after first ride I had nicknamed it "Freightliner"). Only once was I afraid to dodge btwn 2 trees cause I thought the bar would be too wide. I had 1-2" each side tho. So I have proved to myself that this 29" bike will manouver fine thru the tightest trails I can find here in South East Michigan (NE park and blackpond woods Ann Arbor, Mayberry park Northville, Tree Farm Novi). At the Tree Farm, I was happy how the bike handled small logpiles. It was noticable to me that it was more stable and less prone to endo when I was at the finish of the logpile with the front wheel on the ground and the rear up still on the pile. The bike feels very fast on-trail. The fact I have been able to hang with what seem to be fast guys (Working hard) w/out killing myself tells me it is true. On a couple fast downhill sections at mayberry I know I was going faster than I ever have in those parts. I really like the multiple hand positions on the bar. The more-upright position is great chasing other guys who are hunched over peddling like mad. There is a good climbing position. Transition from sitting to standing is real nice. There is lots of room for legs and knees and no way I can hit the bar with my knees. There is no toe overlap to the front wheel. The ride seems smooth to me, but honestly I'll have to do a 29" and 26" back-to-back to confirm. Wheels seem just fine (King hubs and mavic T520 rims ride as well as my old 26" hugi/517 wheels). Avid mech brakes are awesome. I never had this kind of brake power from my old xtr v brakes. Plus the rotor sound when stopping sounds neat. I can't imagine hyd brakes working better. I have stainless tubing and irc metawire as housing to reduce compression and the brakes feel very nice. Front fork (WB.8) is real nice. It is nice and active, and has lockout. On the drivetrain, I'm running it 1x9 now, and see no use for the granny ring. So 32 tooth and bashguard up front.

So in conclusion - I can't imagine a hardtail bike that could perfom any better than what Jeff has built up for me for the trails around SE Michigan. I'm happy I went 29 and this bike will do fine for XC play-in-dirt, city rider, and XC race if I get the urge. Jeff is a great guy to work with, and the finish product is remarkable.

Thanks for reading,
Bob

·
Registered
590 Posts
My buddy just called to tell me he is on the Jones list

and I am so freaking jealous! I told him about the Jones website just a few months ago and now he's getting one and I am not. Jeff offered to let him come up and ride one of his shop bikes around the local trails.

Come on Powerball!

·
Registered
123 Posts
there are pictures at the op of this thread

FYI

Pictures of my bike are at the top of this thread. As well as Jeff's 26" truss fork bike. I thoght pretty seriously about the truss fork because it is so unique, light, etc... And if Jeff was making the bike, he could do it all at once and would be a "system". But then he recommended first I ride a rigied front end and I did. It unfortunately was too tough for me on bumpy downhills.

For whoever is getting on the Jones list I think you are in for a good experience. During the design and build process I was in contact with Jeff daily. He wants to make sure he builds you what you want, and will guide you with many ideas and questions. It is a lot of fun, almost like you are helping Jeff to build your bike!

Last, I just want to put a plug for another neat product I just got yesterday - N gear jump stop. $10. Keeps chain from falling off the inside ring. I haven't even tried it yet, but am impressed with the simplicity, quality, and ease of accurate adjustment. I sure hope it works as well as it looks and installs!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts