Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first of all thanks to all you who chimed in with your opinions on my original thread re: selling the dirt bike to get a new 29er. yes it was bitter sweet, but i really don't miss the thing. i guess a fat stack of cash helps out with the lack-o-dirtbike depression. now the hard part...which freakin bike do i get? the kind of riding i do is mostly singletrack, lots of uphills, some technical rocky stuff, little bit of downhill, and mt. shasta ski park is putting in some awesome looking downhill runs that i would like to partake in at sometime. so basically i want a bike that can handle a little bit of everything. i'm a little vertically challenged at 5'8", about 155 lbs. my budget is around 3 grand, give or take. out of all the bikes out there, my top choices are:

santa cruz tallboy lt aluminum
niner rip 9
specialized stumpjumper fsr comp
trek rumblefish elite
kona satori

i had thought about the niner wfo 9, but i think it's just too much for the kind of riding i do.
so to anybody who is lucky enough to own one of these fine machines, can you provide a little feedback on your ride, and if you've ridden a few on my list maybe some comparisons. thanks!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
176 Posts
If i were in the market for a new FS 29er i would look very hard at that new Yeti. Its supposed to be a great ride and its sexy as can be...Not sure about the pricing however. I know i could get flamed for this but i know Turner occasionally sells 5 spots with nice specs for about 3 grand. At your size i would try as many options as possible. Not only are some suspension designs far superior to others but you really need to be careful with sizing on FS 29ers in my opinion. I know i wouldnt want to ride anything bigger than an 18 inch FS 29er at 5'11.....

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
what seems like a better plan to me is get a bike like a tallboy or camber for your xc rides and when you hit shasta rent cuz imo there is not a bike on the market that is gonna do all that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
what seems like a better plan to me is get a bike like a tallboy or camber for your xc rides and when you hit shasta rent cuz imo there is not a bike on the market that is gonna do all that.
This is sound advice.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
726 Posts
Do you already have tools? Waterbottles/camelbak? Helmet? Dont forget to add this stuff into your budget

·
Registered
475 Posts
I sold my 29er HT and bought the RIP 9 this year and absolutely LOVE it!. Climbs great and is very efficient due to the CVA suspension - I never use the propedal function when climbing because it feels so good. It handles phenomenally well on singletrack and pointing downhill as well. Compared to the SJ FSR comp - I would take (and took) the RIP hands down any day. The only way I would go with the FSR would be if it had a brain shock, but you have to go up a few models to get that. I rented an FSR in Moab last year, and though nice in the descents, it felt like it wallowed and bobbed climbing. I was reaching for the lockout often during long climbs. I couldn't wait to get back on my HT after riding that bike. With the RIP9, I don't miss my HT one bit. So I would scratch the FSR comp off the list, IMHO. I've never tried the Tallboy, but that would be the other one I would look at based on the similarity between VPP and CVA suspensions and all the reviews around here. I know nothing of the Trek and Kona.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
If i were in the market for a new FS 29er i would look very hard at that new Yeti...
Munstro makes a good point. You do have some hard choices to make as all the bikes you've mentioned are really exceptional. Glad you sold the bike, I knew you wouldn't miss it.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but get out there and find shops in the are that have these bikes and do some demos, what seems best for your body and type of riding based off all the demos you've done. This will take time but is worth your $3 ger. All these bikes are nice you mentioned but not all them will win you over once you ride them, which will help your decision process and then one or two will really win you over and make the decision really hard. Start shopping away...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
thanks, this is some good advice. although i'm not sure what kind of set-up shasta will have. i'm not going to be hucking 6 foot drops, and trying to clear 40 foot gapped doubles, i'll tell you that much. maybe a few 3 foot drops, technical rocky sections, small jumps. i'm not close, skill wise, to take advantage of a full on downhill machine. which is why i'm leaning towards the all mountain category.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sold my 29er HT and bought the RIP 9 this year and absolutely LOVE it!. Climbs great and is very efficient due to the CVA suspension - I never use the propedal function when climbing because it feels so good. It handles phenomenally well on singletrack and pointing downhill as well. Compared to the SJ FSR comp - I would take (and took) the RIP hands down any day. The only way I would go with the FSR would be if it had a brain shock, but you have to go up a few models to get that. I rented an FSR in Moab last year, and though nice in the descents, it felt like it wallowed and bobbed climbing. I was reaching for the lockout often during long climbs. I couldn't wait to get back on my HT after riding that bike. With the RIP9, I don't miss my HT one bit. So I would scratch the FSR comp off the list, IMHO. I've never tried the Tallboy, but that would be the other one I would look at based on the similarity between VPP and CVA suspensions and all the reviews around here. I know nothing of the Trek and Kona.
thanks for your input. as of right now the rip 9 is number one on my list, followed closely by the tallboy lt. it will probably just come down to price, and which dealer seems the most helpful as all these new bikes are awesome.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If i were in the market for a new FS 29er i would look very hard at that new Yeti. Its supposed to be a great ride and its sexy as can be...Not sure about the pricing however. I know i could get flamed for this but i know Turner occasionally sells 5 spots with nice specs for about 3 grand. At your size i would try as many options as possible. Not only are some suspension designs far superior to others but you really need to be careful with sizing on FS 29ers in my opinion. I know i wouldnt want to ride anything bigger than an 18 inch FS 29er at 5'11.....
the yeti sb95? cause that thing does look like a beast! i think it's just a bit out of my price range though. hmmmmm....what else can i sell?:D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Munstro makes a good point. You do have some hard choices to make as all the bikes you've mentioned are really exceptional. Glad you sold the bike, I knew you wouldn't miss it.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but get out there and find shops in the are that have these bikes and do some demos, what seems best for your body and type of riding based off all the demos you've done. This will take time but is worth your $3 ger. All these bikes are nice you mentioned but not all them will win you over once you ride them, which will help your decision process and then one or two will really win you over and make the decision really hard. Start shopping away...
there are some pretty good shops around my neck of the woods. there are santa cruz, niner, specialized, and trek dealers, i'm not sure about yeti. i'll look into it. thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I may be biased but go specialized stumpjumper fsr comp. great bike! :D

I've owned 3 specialized and love them all. The company seems solid and support has been good.

·
meow meow
10,622 Posts
thanks, this is some good advice. although i'm not sure what kind of set-up shasta will have. i'm not going to be hucking 6 foot drops, and trying to clear 40 foot gapped doubles, i'll tell you that much. maybe a few 3 foot drops, technical rocky sections, small jumps. i'm not close, skill wise, to take advantage of a full on downhill machine. which is why i'm leaning towards the all mountain category.
you will still have a lot more fun on a full on dh bike at a resort and i bet you will quickly be able to up your dh game.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Is it possible to purchase a complete or build a TB or RIP for $3000? Maybe used.
Not affiliated with them, but this is the deal I used when I bought mine. A little over $3K, but under 4! :)
http://www.hammerheadbikes.com/niner-closeouts/
I did the XT build with the RCT3 shock. Substituted a few things at no charge and upgraded a few things like bars and post at good deal, but nice as is too (with changing rear axle to 12mm...)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 21 Posts