Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and man it felt like crap. I bought a mary ss at the start of Dec and have only been riding it since it is so much fun. all of the trails up here have hard packed snow and I been having a blast on the snow with the 29er. so tonight I was like hey maybe the jamis xlt needs some love too. I couldn't belive how slow it felt, I now hate riser bars(need to get a set of marys for it), and the front wheel was washing out all the time. I know how this bike is on the trails when there was no snow and it was fast, and the nevgals ripped around the twistys. but in the snow it was not even close to as fast or stable as the mary. I just can't wait till the snow is gone and I can realy see how well the mary works on the dirt. I did miss have suspension, but I now know that my next dulley will be a 29er.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I rode mine yesterday and it felt awesome. Fast and handled like a roller coaster car with rocket boosters on it. Its nice pingy, stout, tight steel frame was resilient and livelier than any of the big wheel, big frame bikes I've been riding lately. ...but that handling was so crisp and quick, there's no doubt that for light, easy trails of limited difficulty, my 29ers roll just fine, but for anything really fast and challenging, the extra maneuverability of the 26" bike will get my pick every time.

It's interesting how different peoples experiences can be.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
I often swap to my bud's 26" bike which exactly my size (I used to have identical bikes like it). Each time it feels like a freak show. Although his Schwalbe tires roll like crazy on smooth soil, handling is just crap in comparison. Even in the twisties where the VooDoo Bokor is supposed to shine (way nervous geometry). I'm wandering all over the trail like I always did with kiddy wheels. Instant handicap, and I get dropped on singletrack once again. That just doesn't happen with 29", I'm doing the dropping there.
And that's just smooth trails. Don't get me started on loose gravel, sand pits, steep hills (up or down), bumps, hard high-speed corners, etc..

Sell the Jamis while you can, don't invest, it's not going to get better. ;-)

·
Low speed, High Drag
946 Posts
I bought my 29er back in late November, and have only ridden my 26er once, and my wife's for about 2 minutes. I'm gonna go ride my 26er, if it ever stops raining. Hopefully I'll still like it, since I poured a bunch of money in to it, before I got my 29er.

·
Fo' Bidniz in da haus
17,282 Posts
Horus said:
I rode mine yesterday and it felt awesome. Fast and handled like a roller coaster car with rocket boosters on it. Its nice pingy, stout, tight steel frame was resilient and livelier than any of the big wheel, big frame bikes I've been riding lately. ...but that handling was so crisp and quick, there's no doubt that for light, easy trails of limited difficulty, my 29ers roll just fine, but for anything really fast and challenging, the extra maneuverability of the 26" bike will get my pick every time.

It's interesting how different peoples experiences can be.
indeed....i love people's use of adjectives when describing their experience in anything but a 29er.....i cant argue cause you cant argue with somebody's opinion on a matter (only facts) but still....gimme a break.

i like both but for other than singlespeeding, no thx on the 29er

my recipe is simple for bikes i dont like to ride: crappy 26" bikes ride like crap and crappy 29" bikes ride like crap

·
Registered
15 Posts
So why is it that when new people get 29ers, we tell them..."give it some time, it's an adjustment," but when somebody who has ridden a 29er goes back to riding a 26er for 2 minutes and decides the handling is kind of squirrely, we decree 26 inch bikes the spawn of satan? Shouldn't the same standards apply.

For what it's worth, I went back to riding a 26 inch bike this summer after two years of riding a 29er. It felt squirrely at first, but that went away after about two rides. And then the positive traits of 26ers became more apparent. Actually, a much bigger deal is the handlebars...Riser bars felt squirrely...when I put H-bars on it actually felt awesome.

Where is that damned Cycling News test comparing the Seven 29er and 26er? That'll be the decisive argument that we can then just argue away as opinion.

·
Registered
215 Posts
ragnarok29er said:
So why is it that when new people get 29ers, we tell them..."give it some time, it's an adjustment," but when somebody who has ridden a 29er goes back to riding a 26er for 2 minutes and decides the handling is kind of squirrely, we decree 26 inch bikes the spawn of satan? Shouldn't the same standards apply.
Shut up and drink yer Kool-Aid. 29ers are best at everything. 26ers suck at everything.
Swallow it, dammit.

·
Registered
19,126 Posts
ragnarok29er said:
So why is it that when new people get 29ers, we tell them..."give it some time, it's an adjustment," but when somebody who has ridden a 29er goes back to riding a 26er for 2 minutes and decides the handling is kind of squirrely, we decree 26 inch bikes the spawn of satan?
Because we're biased, dammit! Jeez...

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
ragnarok29er said:
Where is that damned Cycling News test comparing the Seven 29er and 26er? That'll be the decisive argument that we can then just argue away as opinion.
Ah, yes. The infamous "The Emperor Has No Clothes" test.

It's like the term paper or major project that was due at the end of the semester which the student continually finds an excuse to explain the delay to the professor as the incomplete grade passes the deadline for submission and turns into an F.

In the meantime, an entire new season of 29"er bikes, tires and wheelsets have been developed by companies and are being purchased by customers with reviews already hitting left and right.

BB

·
Registered
154 Posts
In my opnion it still is a matter of adjusting to it.
Since november I have a GF Rig build up as a singlespeed 29-er and I love it.
When I look back I haven't touched my 26-er squichy since half november till last weekend.
I had a short ride on it and at first it felt weird, a bit nervous and soft but after a few km's I felt like I got used to it again and enjoyed it very much.
To me it seems like there isn't anything usefull to say about whats better.
I love my 29-er but love my 26-er just as much.
Just need to adjust when riding both.
For certain trips I would never use my rigid 29-er and get my full suspension 26-er, but since half november I never made such a trip and discovered that I push my limit of what I see as rideable on my rigid SS 29-er further and further to the point I hardly need a full suspension 26-er anymore.

·
Banned
4,137 Posts
speed metal said:
Does it really matter 26er or 29er? What matters to me is that I enjoy my ride no matter what i'm on.
:skep:

I feel like comforting a wet kitten.

it's the love man... don't you feel IT! The love is free man... I am free and full of love man! Nothing matters but the love man! Free love!!!

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
ragnarok29er said:
Yes and no. You make a good point that going back from 29" to 26" may require a bit of adjustment. But I disagree that it's equal.

For a rider coming off 26" wheels, riding a 29"er is a new experience. For a rider going from 29" to 26" it is not. There may be a period of adjustment, but it should be much shorter.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I havent ridden my 26ers...

in at least a year. That being said, the last time I rode one it felt nervous and twitchy for 30-45 mins. After that it was as sweet as ever, though the loss of rolling momentum was still quite noticable. Especially on rocky terrain where my 29er would roll through and over trail obstacles the 26er couldnt. I still enjoyed the 26er though and plan to start riding them occasionally on smoother less technical trails. If I can tear myself away from my 29ers ;) .

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.