Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...

Got my hands on a Mojo HD in large and rode it today. Happy to have determined - I am definitely getting a large.

However, I need to ask, what sort of air pressure are you guys running in your RP23 and Lyrik 170? The guy at the shop set up the sag at about 30% and I think I was bottoming out very easily today.

I tried to find a reference on the Ibis site and there is none (very surprised as I am used the to ultra-informative Santa Cruz site).

I weigh about 185 with gear. What pressures should I run in these shocks?

The ride was good. I rode a place I've ridden for years. There was one section at the end which is a rutted, rocky fireroad decent and I was a little disappointed in the bike (compared to my old coil shock Nomad): It seemed to bounce around quite a bit and deflect from bumps instead of soaking and floating over them.

Is this just the sad fact of air vs. coil? Or was I bottoming out or? I made sure my front tire was of the pressure I normally prefer so it wasn't "rock hard front tire syndrome."

Thanks for any feedback here!!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm 220lb geared. I found on my HD with the RP23, that it worked best at 245psi, propedal set to 3, and I added a19mm shim in the secondary air chamber. Otherwise it would settle to low in its travel and on bigger hits it would blow through its travel.
Needless to say, I am getting a PUSH Monarch, and was instructed to go with a low volume air sleeve.
I would slow your rebound settings down, check your low speed compression setting on your fork, and it seems most people like the rear shock with the air pressure at body weight. Though with me I find if I do not set the sock at 20 to 25psi over my weight and shim down the air sleeve I blow through the travel too easily.

·
holding back the darkness
1,734 Posts
I'm about your weight and I ran about 180psi in my RP23 and around 40-45psi in my Lyrik. I had similar problems dialing my shock. Too much psi and it rode harsh, too little and it blew through the travel and bottomed out harsh.
I'd recommend either a RS Monarch or Vivid. For me those problems went away. I liked both shocks immensely, but the vivid won out for all out performance, but comes at a weight penalty. I'm a PUSH fanboy, and would completely recommend getting a shock from them. Excellent products, excellent service.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. I will monkey around with the pressure today some more. I will be riding one of my favorite downhill trails. It is short so one can ride over and over.

I will try to get the bike dialed.

I def will be purchasing an HD with the Lyrik but am going for the DHX Air upgrade.

Just want to make sure I am absolutely happy with an air-sprung bike before I throw down this kind of cash.

Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Guys - mucha gracias again...

I checked the pressure in the RP23 and it was way low - about 125psi. I pumped it up to my body weight and the shock felt a lot better. The fork was about 40psi and added about 10-15 pounds.

Took the bike to my favorite downhill section and it performed a lot better. The rear shock was still bottoming but not as much and the front fork was not bottoming at all - even when I would land front-heavy from jumps on purpose.

The air suspension is definitely a lot more sensitive to air pressure than coil (maybe that seems obvious to the experts here but I was ignorant of this having ridden coil/oil for the last 8 years).

Will place my order tomorrow for a new Mojo HD! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts