Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use a bit of help identifying it and best guesses as to if it was worth the $200 I paid.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics. One of these days ill buy a real camera.

Attachments

·
Titanium junkie
1,429 Posts
Others might say you paid to much, but you gave
200.00 for it, so YOU thought it was worth it.
As long as it fits you and rides well, don't worry about what you paid.
And I think the frame is worth that, but I like the Joe Murray sticker VooDoo's.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I agree, it was worth $200 to you so you didn't overpay, I'd have done it if a 16" frame fit me

·
Registered
12,171 Posts
THank you all for the quick replys. Its a 16 inch and feels small to me. Was it worth the price?
it's a very cool bike with good parts on it, but it's very out-dated. the main question is: does it fit you? 16" is on the small end of a "medium" size, so I would say that if you're 5'6"- 5'9" it will probably work for you with some adjustments. how tall are you? fitting the bike to you will take some time.

the other question is: doe the components still work? i would imagine most of that stuff is from the mid- late-90s. does the fork still function? do the shifters work?

if the fork is worn out, that will be a tough call. it will be difficult or impossible to fix and new suspension forks are very expensive. if the shifters are sticky, you can probably revive them, I do that all the time on older bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Every thing works great on the bicycle said mech at the lbs. He also siad its Maybe a inch too small for me as that im 5-9. Rides like a dream, quick and agile. If it wernt for the cushion of the front fork i could almsot mistake it for a road bike ny the way it handles.

·
Pipe Dreamer
6,109 Posts
That is crazy...A few weeks ago I picked up a bike for $200 also.It is an orange chrome framed Kona designed by Joe Murray.I too had stated in a post "it rides like a dream" It is defiantly a fun bike and worth the money.I've taken of the front der. and am wanting a new fork,and thats it,ready to ride.Oh yea,took of the bar ends too.Now that I took another look at the pics,I had wondered how an orange bike would look with the red Panaracers...

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,387 Posts
What I see when I look at the pictures fo this bike is: Someone bought the bike, probably thought they liked mountain biking, and then mothballed it on a hook in the garage back in 1996, then decided to sell it. Even living in the Santa Cruz area where I seem to have seen it all, I seldom see a 4130 bike all LX in that good of condition that is really true to the era. Just by looking at the pictures, I can tell that bike came strait from voodoo just like that out of the box at whatever shop it was sold at, because it is bone-stock...

I personally like to buy bikes like that, put them back in a box, and time capsule them in my attic. No, it's not a JC Higgins or a true collectable, but voodoo makes good stuff..

$200 is a good reflection of the value of that bike, if I don't say.

I agree with what Finch says OP.. It'll make a good SS..

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you all again for the responses!

I took it up to the lbs yesterday and asked them to do a once over on it. The front tire is shredded due to a brake pad being installed upside down. The crank has several teeth missing. I also need to replace the rear rim due to metal bits int he brake pad and over tightening of the spokes causing the rim to bow out at every spoke. There are also some other minor problems here and there.

So if i put another 300 or so into it i can remake it into new, The bike shop guy suggested I save a bit more and just by a new bike.

I am most likely going to keep it as is and ride it till the chain starts skipping on me and i have to start replacing parts.

Then turning it into a SS might be a option!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Good advice...

Thank you all again for the responses!

I took it up to the lbs yesterday and asked them to do a once over on it. The front tire is shredded due to a brake pad being installed upside down. The crank has several teeth missing. I also need to replace the rear rim due to metal bits int he brake pad and over tightening of the spokes causing the rim to bow out at every spoke. There are also some other minor problems here and there.

So if i put another 300 or so into it i can remake it into new, The bike shop guy suggested I save a bit more and just by a new bike.

I am most likely going to keep it as is and ride it till the chain starts skipping on me and i have to start replacing parts.

Then turning it into a SS might be a option!
Sounds like your local shop gave you good advice. The big ring may have several teeth missing but it will still work (if you even use the big ring). I'd replace the front tire and the brake pads. Perhaps lightly sand the rear rim (of there are metal snags on it). And then I'd ride it.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,803 Posts
I took it up to the lbs yesterday and asked them to do a once over on it.
That was a smart thing to do, but your responses below have me asking questions...

The front tire is shredded due to a brake pad being installed upside down. Maybe you missed it in the photos but I don't see evidence of a shredded sidewall. While some pads have a curve to them that requires a specific orientation, more than likely the culprit was a poorly aligned pad coming in contact with the tire rather than the braking surface on the rim. Correcting the pad position is the first step and then pick a front tire appropriate for the trails i your area

The crank has several teeth missing. This could be less serious than it seems, or it could be you have teeth missing. Some brands of chainrings have intentionally reduced or nearly eliminated teeth. This is done so the chain can shift from a smaller ring to the next larger ring more easily. Other variations of this modification are chainrings with minor formed ramps and with riveted ramps that "pick up" the chain and provide more surface contact with the chain to allow a shift with less stress on the chain. Since you have a triple these profiled teeth and ramps will appear on the middle and large chainring as they are the only two involved in shifting from a smaller to a larger ring. The little chainring just sits there waiting for the chain to drop on it or the derailleur to lift the chain off.

If the mechanic at the LBS isn't aware of these types of chainrings, you should ask for a new mechanic or find a different LBS. These chainrings have been around since the early 1990's.

If the teeth have truly broken off then you'll need a replacement ring. Post an image of the teeth in question and we can get tot the bottom of that.

I also need to replace the rear rim due to metal bits int he brake pad and over tightening of the spokes causing the rim to bow out at every spoke. Metal bits in the brake pads happens with aluminum rims. Especially with silver, but even with dark and hard anodized rims. As for the fatigue of the rim at the spoke holes, unfortunately that happens too. Either from too high of a tension when the wheel was built or from use and time or from an accident resulting in a bent rim and then truing to bring the wheel within acceptable limits. If the cracks are extremely fine and limited in number you could get several years of use before a spoke pulls through the rim. If the cracks are larger and more numerous then you would be better served to replace it and the spokes. Reusing old spokes is generally a bad idea plus a new rim might not use the existing length of spoke. It's hard to see but it looks like the rear hub is a basic Shimano LX or lower quality hub. While it'd be easy and nice to rebuild the existing wheel with a new rim and spokes, there are similar or better quality wheels that can be bought for less money.

So if i put another 300 or so into it i can remake it into new, The bike shop guy suggested I save a bit more and just by a new bike. You could get the front brake and tire corrected and ignore the rear rim and ride it 'til it dies. That would cost less than $300.

I am most likely going to keep it as is and ride it till the chain starts skipping on me and i have to start replacing parts.This might be your best option.

Then turning it into a SS might be a option! Now you're talking!

·
Pipe Dreamer
6,109 Posts
Yes,post pictures as Caffeine Powered suggested.Get a shot of the missing teeth,shredded tire,metal bits,and rim too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts