Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Chilling out
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

So, I'm contacting my LBS on Monday (when they're next open), but if anyone else has a line on replacement main pivot bolts I'd love to hear it - LBS may not have any on hand and getting them shipped over from Titus could be hit or miss. I NEED the bike ASAP, still have some riding to do before I take it out to the desert for a marathon race in 12 days!

I want to get two, one to put on the bike and one for the toolbox.

Thx, cheers!

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wow....bummer. I'm headed to Ol' Pueblo too and I can see the dilema. Hard to train when your bike is down. Hope you find what ya need, but Titus I'm sure can air ship ya one on Monday. You should be riding again by the middle of the week.

One comment though....it looks like the pivot bolt is galled pretty bad Seems strange since I thought the ML used bearings but it looks like it's been rubbing on something. If it is a bushing, keep your new bolt lubricated well. No need for that to happen.

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
It's bearings, but there's a compression sleeve between the two sets. It's a good idea to replace the pin and sleeve when you replace the bearings, since they all wear together. My last pivot pin had some deep grooves from the sleeve. And many times the bearings are really stuck to the pin, so it gets damaged upon removal anyway.

I recently purchased a spare from bikerbob. Speedgoat stocks them too.

·
Chilling out
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes bearings, no on the replacing the sleeve when the bearings have been replaced - my LBS didn't seem to think that necessary when I asked last winter when the bearings were replaced. FWIW all be bearings were turning, the NDS ones were sticking a bit so I went ahead and pulled them to replace them at the same time SINCE the bike was apart anyway.

Thanks Moondog, I'll keep ya posted.

Going to see what the LBS has on hand Monday, and also working contact with BikerBob to see what he can do.

Wouldn't hurt to have a spare on hand. ;^)

·
Registered
125 Posts
New compression sleeves aren't provided with ML bearing kits but the pivot bolt is. I'd be interested to know if you can get a new sleeve, since mine is a bit dinged.

·
Tonight we ride.
769 Posts
The kit I bought [through an LBS] from Titus last summer had one. And yes on replacing the sleeve, at least the one on my SM, which was really cut up on one end.

Speaking of problems on the trail:

Attachments

·
Registered
631 Posts
fonseca said:
The kit I bought [through an LBS] from Titus last summer had one. And yes on replacing the sleeve, at least the one on my SM, which was really cut up on one end.

Speaking of problems on the trail:
Yikes! is that a busted bushing or pivot bolt? Bummer....

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
bear, if 'your lbs' hasn't got anything, and Bikerbob can't help, i might be able to swing something at the shop. mail takes, typically, 1 day to get from Plano to Austin. if need be, i could more than likely get something your way before Terlingua.

-dustin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.