Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
bon vivant
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just scored a mint '02 Supercaliber last night. Should arrive next Wed or so - my first 29er.

What do I need to know about care and feeding of the creature? According to the specs, the thing weighs 4 pounds less than my steel Giant SS, so I'm looking forward to some differences in climbing, but I seem to lose most of my speed on cornering. I'm just not all that good at turning fast. What effect will the extra inches have on that problem?

·
contains quinine
4,639 Posts
truman said:
Just scored a mint '02 Supercaliber last night. Should arrive next Wed or so - my first 29er.
Like this?

I just got mine a couple months ago, nos frame and fork.

Don't think about the hype. Go ride it 5-6 times and see what you think.

Attachments

·
paintbucket
2,825 Posts
truman said:
I'm just not all that good at turning fast. What effect will the extra inches have on that problem?
More rubber on the ground = better traction = faster cornering. So just lay off the brakes and hang on. ;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Terrain

I'd rather know what your terrain is and your riding style. Because if you like to go fast and your terrain is hardpack, bigger tires just mean more weight, heavier pedaling, slower speeds, tiresome climbing.

·
bon vivant
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Style? I figure 'fast' comes naturally when I've worked on 'smooth' long enough.
I've been exclusively ss'ing for over a year, and now I'm venturing back into geardom.

Terrain is North Texas. No major climbs, plenty of rocks, loose gravel, & short, steep ups and downs.
And I've got a 16 paved mile round trip commute to the train station to do a few times a week, too.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Terrain

My neck of the woods. I've used other tires for special situations but around north Texas there's only one that I always put back on - Nano's!!!! Especially if your going to commute.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I just found one just like it today...

I am pretty sure it is a L (19"), and looked to be pretty much mint. The LBS where I found it pretty much said, "make me an offer".

What do you think it is worth?

Is anyone here interested?

·
bon vivant
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
never_was said:
"go that way really fast. if something gets in your way - turn"
Do you know the STREET value of this mountain!?

Shark, I got mine for a hair over 8 bills. and given the spec, I think that was an awesome deal.

·
Recovering couch patato
14,019 Posts
Congrats on the deal!

I paid a fortune for just a used frame, fork, King headset and a simple set of XT-V wheels, but that was late 2002.
Throw a Bontrager AcX tire on the front, and only your brain will be the limit in cornering speeds.

On a 29"er, try to see wide, fluent lines over a trail, and just find the confidence that indeed it will work without touching the brakes. You can keep a LOT of speed on that bike, even when I just had it a few weeks, I was already frustrating a local pro level racer with it. He couldn't drop me on even the most technical of singletrack and I could even pull away on some of the bigger stuff (step-ups and such).

You'll find that with the Fisher, you can pick a line, and ride it without correction on it.

Enjoy!

J

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.