·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clean it.
Spray it.
Bake it.
Fast, quick, easy. Not as tough as Ano.
Not supposed to interfere with heat transfer.
Just something new to try. I like it overall. If you don't want to screw with Ano this is a good way to go.:D :thumbsup:

·
Dirt Deviant
3,694 Posts
Looking good ODT.
What color did you use?
I was looking at all the different gun kote options, and there was ALOT.
Is that the Electron Mount?

·
Rep Power Infinity +2
1,539 Posts
I got aToblerone and 2 kids waking us up at 6am ....yey

Your light looks fantastic:thumbsup: . Note to self, i need to take better photo's of my lights.

I remember the last time I baked parts in my wifes oven. If my memory serves me correctly I didn't get sex for a month as punishment:mad: Are there many fumes given off?......could I get away with using my wife's oven in the kitchen again?

As a side note, looking at your driver, have you cut most of it off?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
brad72 said:
Are there many fumes given off?......could I get away with using my wife's oven in the kitchen again?
Brad the stuff stinks like crazy as you are spraying the part but as soon as it warms up in the oven the smells go away.

odtexas, you've done a good job getting it between the fins. I have Gun Koted a few bike parts and like it a lot but I haven't done a light with it yet due to the fact that you can't simply touch up any chips of scratches without putting your light back in an oven.

Great way to get Alu bike parts in the sales as it's are usualy the colour no one wants that gets reduced in price.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
savagemann said:
Looking good ODT.
What color did you use?
I was looking at all the different gun kote options, and there was ALOT.
Is that the Electron Mount?
That was the gloss black. Stuff is a little pricey though. Ano much cheaper, but alot more work.
That's the Electron Mount. Took the top mount off and put the nut inside the light body with a little JB Weld.

brad72 said:
I got aToblerone and 2 kids waking us up at 6am ....yey

Your light looks fantastic . Note to self, i need to take better photo's of my lights.

I remember the last time I baked parts in my wifes oven. If my memory serves me correctly I didn't get sex for a month as punishment Are there many fumes given off?......could I get away with using my wife's oven in the kitchen again?

As a side note, looking at your driver, have you cut most of it off?
You can cut the driver down to a little less than 20mm easily. Just use diagonal wire cutters.

There is some smell, but no worse than me coming in covered in cutting oil and aluminum bits.:D Reading gun forums some guy's commented on a lingering smell in the oven. So to stay in good graces of the wife, I opted for the toaster oven.
Have cooked 3 batches and there is no trace of stink in the oven.
While cooking it does smell like hot paint.
I was more worried about the casserole coming out tasting like paint.
I don't think there will be lingering fumes/particles in the oven, however I think the wife would taste hot paint on everything baked until she forgot about me abusing her oven.

For peace in the house I think the toaster oven is a great investment.:thumbsup:

troutie-mtb said:
Lol Brad I got similar treatment when I used the dishwasher to make some motor parts nice and clean .

My valentine pressy is a dead website and no one answering the phone at the hosting co

Looks good OT how durable is it on a scratch scale of 1 to 10 where 10 is ano
Did the dishwasher thing as well. Hence the pre-planning with the toaster oven.:D

Ano being a 10 I would put Gunkote about a 7 or 8.

Yeti- It will scratch off, but it can be touched up by dabbing and hitting the fresh area with a heat gun. ;)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's the one Itess.:thumbsup:

Some of the weapons guys are just baking regular paint. Will see how that turns out in the near future.

This guy advertises Ceracote in Germany.

The specialized coatings are on the pricey side. :mad:

·
Registered
270 Posts
odtexas said:
That's the one Itess.:thumbsup:

Some of the weapons guys are just baking regular paint. Will see how that turns out in the near future.

This guy advertises Ceracote in Germany.

The specialized coatings are on the pricey side. :mad:
Ceracote's "Thermal barrier" bothers me. I am not sure that's a good thnig for our purpose... ;)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
mmlvmm used cerakote on his 7-up build.
I had had about 20 lights powder coated. They were used all summer here in Texas without any heat issues, and the powder coating is much thicker than the Gunkote/cerakote. :cool:
No worries though. We are all concerned about heat so do what you like. I just personally believe that we worry a little more about heat than we need.:thumbsup:

Forgot to mention that the light is
1-1/2" OD x 1.000" ID x .250" Wall 6061 tube extrusion
from SpeedyMetals
Cut on/with the Table Saw.:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.