Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
the #1 Stunna'
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
and this one is much better then the last one, but that is not what this thread is about. The new one wants to get into riding with me. (YEEESSSSS) I have her riding one of my bikes, and she seems to like it. There is one problem. her ass hurts her at the end of like a 5 mile ride. I had put my most coush seat on it for her, but i guess that her ass bones, are hitting right at the edge of the seat.

Is there a woman spicific seat that may beinfit her better? we have tried padded shorts to no avail, so i am looking for a seat now. i am trying to stay away from those big wide seats...

any information you have would be great. i know that over time she will feel it less, but i am sure that if i can not get her to feel a bit better i will loose her interest in riding.

·
the #1 Stunna'
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah she said she was looking for an outdoor activity, she knows i ride, so she said she wanted to try. she understands that she is taking up my riding time when she rides with me. so she wants to feel as comfortable as she can so she can start riding with me at my level (I am no pro, but did not take her to a hard or long trail)

i would say i am lucky, and i am going to have her try one of these seats

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Take her to a specialized dealer. They have this thing she can sit on that they can then measure what width of saddle she needs. Try the saddle widths they recommend.

·
Sir Hurt Locker
1,018 Posts
kawsakimx6 said:
... I had put my most coush seat on it for her
That's your first mistake, soft seats are only comfortable for very short intervals. A hard seat is actually better as it provides more support for the sit bones.

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
Shorts

Is she wearing cycling shorts with a good padded chamois? My wife used to complain about her arse hurting and I picked her up some padded shorts for her and she doesn't complain about that anymore...now she's moved on to other things to complain about:rolleyes: .

·
yeah, uh............bikes
2,712 Posts
I think there's also a break in period for the old sit-bones. Also, you may wanna make sure the bike fits her, as in the frame size, bar height, seat height stuff to get her in the best riding position. Other than that, the shorts/saddle combo should increase comfort.

btw, u still in G-ville? I'll be up there soon for the Tour de Felasco

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
4slomo said:
Take her to a specialized dealer. They have this thing she can sit on that they can then measure what width of saddle she needs. Try the saddle widths they recommend.
it's called the "ass-o-meter" and it measures the width of the sit bones.

·
the #1 Stunna'
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FloridaFish said:
I think there's also a break in period for the old sit-bones. Also, you may wanna make sure the bike fits her, as in the frame size, bar height, seat height stuff to get her in the best riding position. Other than that, the shorts/saddle combo should increase comfort.

btw, u still in G-ville? I'll be up there soon for the Tour de Felasco
nope moved to NC for better riding. i am thinking i am riding the tour d' felasco though

·
pronounced may-duh
4,306 Posts
kawsakimx6 said:
nope moved to NC for better riding. i am thinking i am riding the tour d' felasco though
Soreness can be from a lack of support. She needs to find a seat that will support her ass. This usually takes some trail and error until she can find one that works. I'm fairly sure that Liberty Cycles in Asheville rents different seats so she can try them and figure out what works best for her ass. .

The second factor in a sore ass is chafing from long rides. Moisture and friction are the 2 keys to chafing. Shorts with a good chamois are very good at relieving chafing. Never wear underwear with the padded shorts it defeats the purpose of the chamois. Also, it is important to get out of the shorts immediately after the ride. It's not good for her sore ass to be in sweaty shorts for any longer then they need to.

·
Mark
204 Posts
The best thing you can do is to keep trying/buying seats until you find one she can get along with. It took several seat purchases until my wife found one she could ride.

Also, riding position and pedal pressure can go quite a ways toward keeping things happy down there. A taller gear can relieve some pressure if the legs can handle it and sometimes tipping the nose up or down can work too.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,470 Posts
Same thing with my wife. Tried all manner of things, all of the above included. Luckily, she kept at it. Then, one day, it just stopped. Nothing new added. What this tells me is, saddle time. Not that good shorts, and a saddle aren't essential, but they won't stop it like a light switch. Let her know she's not alone, and to stick with it. Planning rides of a fairly short duration, frequently will help too. One epic a week will get you nowhere, but back by yourself... Good luck!

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,225 Posts
4slomo said:
+1:thumbsup:

My GF (now wife) had terrible pain and irritation with the first 4 saddles she tried. We went to a Specialized dealer, she sat on the ass-o-meter, bought the indicated saddle, and she has been comfy ever since. I can't sit on the thing without feeling like I'm going to fall off, but it fits her perfectly.

·
the #1 Stunna'
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK so we have decided that she needs some more saddle time. also that she is willing to raise the seat a bit (she was scared to ride with out both feet being able to touch the ground) also can anyone tell me some more about the specialized ass-o-meter? like the actual name, and is it at all specialized dealers?

·
Bicyclochondriac.
15,225 Posts
kawsakimx6 said:
OK so we have decided that she needs some more saddle time. also that she is willing to raise the seat a bit (she was scared to ride with out both feet being able to touch the ground) also can anyone tell me some more about the specialized ass-o-meter? like the actual name, and is it at all specialized dealers?
I don't know if it is actually called the ass-o-meter, but I believe any specialized dealer will have one. All it is is a piece of firm foam that you sit on, and your sit bones make two dents in it. You measure the distance between the dents, and they have a chart that says which saddles will best accommodate that measurement.

·
the #1 Stunna'
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh well that is simple enough. there is a spesh dealer right near my house. Too bad they are ass holes, and i really hate the shop...maybe there is another one in a reasonable drive from me

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.