Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this 2004 Hardtail Specialized Stumpjumper for $999.99 at my local bike shop, it will also come with free repairs/labor for quite some time(Goodales bike shop if anyone knows of them)

I'm 5'11 155lbs the bike is a 18'' frame, the guy said I looked good on it. It felt good to me, I wanted something that'd fit me and be a little small. Does this sound right? A 18'' frame for my size?

It was between this or the 2005 Rockhopper Pro Disc or Comp Disc

I believe this is the better deal but I may be wrong because I am new to this world :(

I will be riding trails and also road riding almost everyday of the week!

I live in New England so it'll have to take harsh weather sometimes

Does this sound like the right bike for me?

·
Humpmaster general
472 Posts
The 18 sounds right for you assuming you inseam is more then 30 inches.

The rockhoppers get eliminated in my mind because of the axel forks.

The 2004 Stumpjumper comes with a 80mm Fox fork that can be switched to 100mm if you want it.

The Stumpjumper is the better deal. The price is good, given the price jump from 2004 to 2005.

The 2004 MSRP was $1120.00 and probably other people got the bike for the same price last year at this time, but I think it is still the best equiped bike for the price now.

The only other thing I would consider is to throw in another $400. and get the Stumpjumper FSR, especially for New England rooty rocky singletrack.

The 2004 Stumpjumper is a great bike.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/XC_Hardtail/product_123462.shtml

·
Registered
533 Posts
The 100mm Fox Float can be switched to 80mm by shifting the spacers...with the 80mm you're stuck with 80mm. Still a really great bike, thought about getting one for my wife, 80mm is probably right for any hardtail XC anyway...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.