Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend I competed in the 24 hr Hot August Nights (near Bolton, Ontario) with a 6 person team. I rode my Kona Explosif SS with Surly 1x1 fork for 4 laps. Man my arms are sore today. The climbs were alright. Anyone find that they tend to pass a lot of people on the climbs?

How do you have your SS's set up for endurance rides? I plan to do an 8 hr race solo in a couple weeks so I'd like to hear your suggestions.

On a totally different note. What are your favorite comments made by people as you race by on your SS?

Simon
 

·
bon vivant
Joined
·
156 Posts
fatguysmiling said:
This past weekend I competed in the 24 hr Hot August Nights (near Bolton, Ontario) with a 6 person team. I rode my Kona Explosif SS with Surly 1x1 fork for 4 laps. Man my arms are sore today. The climbs were alright. Anyone find that they tend to pass a lot of people on the climbs?

How do you have your SS's set up for endurance rides? I plan to do an 8 hr race solo in a couple weeks so I'd like to hear your suggestions.

On a totally different note. What are your favorite comments made by people as you race by on your SS?

Simon
I really like hearing them say, "Gasp, pant, wheeze - Agh! My heart - urrkkkkkkkkk....!"

But usually they just saw, "Awwww, dammmit..."

I really need to work on passing on hills, getting stuck in the middle of the pack on group rides with gearies makes me stall and walk up a lot of climbs I'd like to clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
230 Posts
racer comments...

fatguysmiling said:
On a totally different note. What are your favorite comments made by people as you race by on your SS?

Simon
Raced a 12-hour race a couple weeks ago, climbing in a thunderstorm passing a gearie who says "You've got the perfect bike for these conditions.", as his chain skips and jumps ;).

That said, if I do another endurance event solo, I think I'll opt for a lower gear. I generally run 34x17, I'm beginning to think a 34x18 would be better for endurance racing, if not racing in general. I think having to walk the steeper climbs slows me down a lot more than the lower gear would on the flats.

I'm doing a 24hour race at the end of September, but that'll be a five-man team. Think I'll leave the 2:1 on there for that.

-Trevor
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
789 Posts
fatguysmiling said:
This past weekend I competed in the 24 hr Hot August Nights (near Bolton, Ontario) with a 6 person team. I rode my Kona Explosif SS with Surly 1x1 fork for 4 laps. Man my arms are sore today. The climbs were alright. Anyone find that they tend to pass a lot of people on the climbs?

How do you have your SS's set up for endurance rides? I plan to do an 8 hr race solo in a couple weeks so I'd like to hear your suggestions.

On a totally different note. What are your favorite comments made by people as you race by on your SS?

Simon
I know I didn't see you cause I thought I was the only one there on a SS. You might have seen me on a Kelly Deluxe...
What gear were you running, and how many laps did you do? What kind of lap times?
I was on a 5 person team; we totally self destructed. :p
I passed soooo any people on the climbs... it was awesome!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SSteel said:
I know I didn't see you cause I thought I was the only one there on a SS. You might have seen me on a Kelly Deluxe...
What gear were you running, and how many laps did you do? What kind of lap times?
I was on a 5 person team; we totally self destructed. :p
I passed soooo any people on the climbs... it was awesome!
Nope I didn't see you. I think we met at Hilton Falls though. I was running 32x18. My lap times were 54, 55, 1:01, 55. Most of the hills were tough but climbable except the sugar shack climb. I jogged that each lap.

Simon
 

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
Joined
·
924 Posts
fatguysmiling said:
This past weekend I competed in the 24 hr Hot August Nights (near Bolton, Ontario) with a 6 person team. I rode my Kona Explosif SS with Surly 1x1 fork for 4 laps. Man my arms are sore today. The climbs were alright. Anyone find that they tend to pass a lot of people on the climbs?

How do you have your SS's set up for endurance rides? I plan to do an 8 hr race solo in a couple weeks so I'd like to hear your suggestions.

On a totally different note. What are your favorite comments made by people as you race by on your SS?

Simon
Hey Simon,

I'm from Ottawa and I did the 24 Hrs of Summer Solstice solo for the last 2-yrs on my singlespeed (36x18). I also did a lot of the O-Cups, Q-Cups, C-Cups and the World Master's on my SS.

Here's my rig:



More pics

I was planning on doing the 24 Hrs solo last weekend, but since I just finished TransRockies (not on a SS), I opted to just chill-out and to allow myself a physical and mental break to recover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

That is a hot ride you've got there. I've been thinking that for next season if I do the whole O-cup XC circuit that I would like to get a stiff 80 mm fork with a lock-out to replace my rigid Surly fork. With the amount of standing that we do how much (if at all) do you have your fork locked out??

Simon
 

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
Joined
·
924 Posts
fatguysmiling said:
Mike,

That is a hot ride you've got there. I've been thinking that for next season if I do the whole O-cup XC circuit that I would like to get a stiff 80 mm fork with a lock-out to replace my rigid Surly fork. With the amount of standing that we do how much (if at all) do you have your fork locked out??

Simon
Thanks!

I've raced on a rigid fork (Morati Ti), but have since gone back to a fork. Last season, I went with a SID World Cup and this year, I'm using a Fox F80X. If you are looking for a stiff fork, go with a Fox. The huge 32mm stanchions make the SID's 28mm stanchions look like twigs. Plus, even at my 135lbs, I can feel the difference. The Fox goes where it is pointed. The SID sometimes wanders.

If you are looking for a manual lockout, go with the F80RLT. If you are looking for an auto lockout, go with the F80X with TerraLogic. The F80X automatically opens/closes based on trail input. Having used a manual lockout and now the F80X, I'd suggest the F80X because it avoids the issue in which you use the lockout, but forget to turn it off.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top