Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My DT came with a DHX Air and I was never completely happy with it. Sure it was plush but it never felt controlled.

Enter the ELKA. It was a reasonably long and drawn out process with some communication issues. I believe that they are snowed under by demand and I don't know that they were expecting it. All in all it took longer than expected but I am happy with their service in the end. When contacted they email back very quickly.

On to the shock. Not much to say from an aesthetics point of view, It looks like a shock with nicely machine bits. The reservoir is large, so large that I was worried that it would contact the top tube. I removed the spring and cycled the suspension, man does it get close. But close and not hitting is good enough for me. My DT is a Large size frame.

Ride wise... well, It is very interesting. To say I am happy is an understatement. The shock is super smooth, it pedals much better, so much more controlled. It does seem to bottom a little bit too easily, but that should be easily fixed by upping the HSC.

The overwhelming thing was the "platform" that the shock gives to push against when preloading for jumps. The extra "pop" is fantastic, jumps that I had trouble clearing are a whole lot easier (and more controlled), I now have to slow down just in case I over jump things.

I should have done this a long time ago!!!

·
Premium Member
10,683 Posts
I had the pleasure to be on the journey of the coming of this shock..... Was awesome to see it on the bike, and better still see Momentus riding with it.....

Jump wise the bike has been transformed, seriously mean that.... Momentus's jumping was sweet. The 2nd photo of the 2, like always with a picture, makes the double looky pissy, but it is harder than it looks due to a small run in so to speak.... This shot I took was the slowest I think he has hit it, but jumped it the best, I put this down to the shock for sure.....

And I got to have a short ride, it feels a different bike......

Sweet all round.....

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
DT is built for a coil

Well I dont know that for sure, but from experience it is definately better with one. I have noticed the preload sensation on jumps as well, it is something I learned back in my BMX and moto days. You can really work the face of the jump, I find myself needing less speed and being able to whip and handle hip jumps better. My old Glory with Maestro didnt seem to have that ability. What spring rate you running and what is your weight? I'm running a TI 450 and I am about 190-195with gear, I have yet to bottom the shock but the initial 1/3 of the stroke seems a bit soft, the steel spring of the same rate seemed a little firmer than the TI spring. You bottom out problem could be a spring issue but HSC could be it as well.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
craigstr said:
What spring rate you running and what is your weight?
I'm about 210lbs with gear and am on a 450lb Ti spring. My sag is around 30% (a little under). ELKA suggested a 400lb if I wanted a DH type ride or 450lb if I was after more All Mountain.

The bike only felt like it bottomed out on a small jump to flat, other than that there was no issue. I did wind on half a turn of preload after that but didn't go back to the offending jump. I would not be keen on having to change out the coil but if I have to I will.

·
1,113 Posts
Looks good, congrats on the upgrade.Coil rules.

You running those tires tubeless? what rims/psi?

How you liking them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
006_007 said:
He is running clipless pedals so it is ok ;)
Good call!!!

The problem is that most of our rides are xcish with a few jumps thrown in so for 95% of the ride a FF is overkill.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One_Speed said:
You running those tires tubeless? what rims/psi?

How you liking them?
Yup, running the 2.4 Rubber Queen Tubeless as Tubeless with some Stans as a back up.

Rim are Mavic 823s laced to a generic front and Hadley rear. Running them at 25psi front and 30 psi rear. Weight is around 210lbs + bike at 39.8lbs.

I am loving them, good volume, very wide for a 2.4 and roll very well. Did a downhill course a few weeks back in the wet and there was little to no slippage. They are more square in profile compared to most Conti tyres which I prefer. I came from Fat Albert UST (old design) and these are much nicer to pedal and corner with.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
Thanks for the review. Also running the DHX-Air and my only real complaint with it is that it bottoms too easily on landings to flat (although I'm sure the coil would be plusher all around). If the ELKA doesn't solve that problem without giving up that plush ride let us know.

Guess I'm going to have to go google or hang out on the suspension forum more cause I've never heard of the ELKA.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
KRob said:
(although I'm sure the coil would be plusher all around).
I actually think that the DHX Air is more plush than the coil, it just doesn't have anywhere near the control of the ELKA.

Some more pics...

·
1,113 Posts
Momentus said:
Yup, running the 2.4 Rubber Queen Tubeless as Tubeless with some Stans as a back up.

Rim are Mavic 823s laced to a generic front and Hadley rear. Running them at 25psi front and 30 psi rear. Weight is around 210lbs + bike at 39.8lbs.

I am loving them, good volume, very wide for a 2.4 and roll very well. Did a downhill course a few weeks back in the wet and there was little to no slippage. They are more square in profile compared to most Conti tyres which I prefer. I came from Fat Albert UST (old design) and these are much nicer to pedal and corner with.
Thanks for your feedback. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Yeah but...

Momentus said:
Good call!!!

The problem is that most of our rides are xcish with a few jumps thrown in so for 95% of the ride a FF is overkill.

When you are riding that 5% and you take a faceplant and have to eat through a straw for 6 months while your mouth is wired shut and then have to fork out thousands of dollars in dental work you will see that you are just fooling yourself with this rationalization.

·
shh. don't tell the wife
354 Posts
craigstr said:
When you are riding that 5% and you take a faceplant and have to eat through a straw for 6 months while your mouth is wired shut and then have to fork out thousands of dollars in dental work you will see that you are just fooling yourself with this rationalization.
Wise words from someone that knows the error of pooching a 40ft gap jump.

That "end" 5% is what always gets ya.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
Momentus - Don't sweat the bottoming if you're getting the sag you want. Sebastian seems to be tuning these to flow a LOT of oil when wide open. Go back to that jump and start adding HSC 1 click at a time until it stops bottoming.

I'm rockin one on a 2:1 frame right now and I still needed 6 clicks of rebound to slow it down enough! Insane on a 2:1... I had to add a couple clicks of HSC as well, for my tastes, I run 0 LSC but that's probably not relevant to your setup. You point about the the DHX-A feeling more plush makes me think you have quite a bit of LSC dialed in and are loosing some small bump compliance. Or perhaps you're equating plush with the the behavior that DHX-A's are most noted for, wallowing mid-stroke. Either way, I'll be surprised if you don't have that beast feeling perfect within another ride or two.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Err said:
Momentus - Don't sweat the bottoming if you're getting the sag you want. Sebastian seems to be tuning these to flow a LOT of oil when wide open. Go back to that jump and start adding HSC 1 click at a time until it stops bottoming
Great, thanks for the feedback. Given how well the bike pedals I would think I do have a fair bit of LSC.

Yes, you are 100% right, the plush comment on the DHX Air is all to do with the lack of mid stroke support. The ELKA feels nearly as smooth over the rough stuff but with all the added benefits of control. I thought I would miss the propedal on the DHX but I don't in the slightest (which again points to the fact that the shock probably come with a large helping of LSC)

Nice bike BTW.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Err said:
Momentus - Don't sweat the bottoming if you're getting the sag you want. Sebastian seems to be tuning these to flow a LOT of oil when wide open. Go back to that jump and start adding HSC 1 click at a time until it stops bottoming.

I'm rockin one on a 2:1 frame right now and I still needed 6 clicks of rebound to slow it down enough! Insane on a 2:1... I had to add a couple clicks of HSC as well, for my tastes, I run 0 LSC but that's probably not relevant to your setup. You point about the the DHX-A feeling more plush makes me think you have quite a bit of LSC dialed in and are loosing some small bump compliance. Or perhaps you're equating plush with the the behavior that DHX-A's are most noted for, wallowing mid-stroke. Either way, I'll be surprised if you don't have that beast feeling perfect within another ride or two.

corsair?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts