Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Let me first state that I've never done any endurance racing and my longest uninterrupted one day MTB ride is about 35 miles. So doing something like the Enduro is going to be a challenge to say the least. Actually, the distance doesn't scare me that much. I'm used to epic days on the road so I feel like I can manage the hydrate/eat/rest part of the equation. What I'm really concerned about is my ability to manage a technical course. From what I've read it appears the Enduro has lots of fire road, smooth singletrack type stuff. I can manage 'rough' trails but when things get to the rock garden side of technical I get pretty uneasy.

As a reference, I ride generally around FC, CO so I'm used to the type of conditions that Laramie sees. For those who know the FC/Loveland scene, I can handle most of the stuff on Coyote Ridge, Pine Ridge, most of Devil's BB, etc. Maxwell, near the stadium, is about as technical as I can get without starting the hike-a-bike.

Basically, I'm trying to evaluate if my 'technical' skills are up to it and whether or not my ragged out hardtail will survive.

Thanks for any info!!!

-j

·
Registered
612 Posts
There are some technical sections but overall it is not too technical of a course. Having said that, I think the course is great and I also think having lots of forest service road at the beginning helps the race flow nicely.

The last big climb is fairly technical but I think it seems worse than it really is because it comes at the very end of the race and I was wrecked at that point.

People did this race on all types of bikes and there were plenty of hardtails so you will be fine. Last year was my first year and I am looking forward to it this year. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
agreed

It has a lot of singletrack and is a very nice ride. I say one of the best rides I have ever done. Much of it is riding through beautiful scenery. I need to sign up!

·
Occasionally engaged…
1,774 Posts
You should be fine. There's not too much in the way of technical terrain that requires hike-a-bike. I rode it on a tandem with my 13 year-old daughter, and that should tell you something -- no mother would let their husband put their daughter at risk! Yes it's a challenge, but it's not dangerous or anything. Sounds like you are more or less local and can come up and scout the course after the trails clear, and many were clear until the latest storm moved in. This race is the perfect start to a career in endurance racing, and if you're experienced it's as hard as you make it...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.