Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lots of MTBers from back in the day like Tinker Juarez started in BMX. Would like to know what ya rode back in the day. Pics would be cool to :)
I had many but remember my 1983 Kuwahara Nova, my 84 or 85 JMC as my favs from then. I went from a JMC to MTBs in like 90. Hell, if ya still ride, what ya got?

first pic below is Me & my 83 Kuwahara. Second is me messing around on my S&M Holmes at the track a few weeks back. Third is at a skate park in Daytona on my 24" S&M Dirt Bike.

Attachments

·
Rize Time
31 Posts
Oh yeah, big BMX background. Jumped my Columbia 3spd w/banana seat all over the place until I got my Team Murray gold and chrome beauty. Upgraded that until I hit the big time with my P.K. Ripper. Tricked it out with Z Rims, Bulldog stem etc.

Absolutely loved that bike and rode it until it broke at the seat post. I was 17 at the time and pretty much quit BMX and started driving everywhere. Been eyeing the 26" and 29" P.K. Ripper that SE racing has right now. Might just pick one up and hit the local track and trails with it.

I still remember all my heros like Tinker, Greg Hill, Stu Thompson and Harry Leary.

Got back into riding again with the Cannondale Rize I got last year. Great pics. If I can find any I'll post them. I would have loved a JMC. Those were beautiful bikes.

Cheers,

Scott

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a buddy of mine at planetbmx sells SE bikes. I had a new "retro" PK Ripper but i parted it out last year. I still race and got a 09 Floval Flyer for that. I also used to have a retro Floval Flyer that i traded for a bike that my daughter could race. Below is my PK Ripper and Floval Flyer. I wish i would of kept both of em but i got too many bikes as it is :D

Attachments

·
clown question, bro
499 Posts
I too started with BMX... no pics though, sadly. Liking the rides here, though. I still have my S&M Holmes (from about 2000) and my first "real" bmx bike... a SE Quadangle from the early-mid 90s. :thumbsup:

·
thecentralscrutinizer
2,996 Posts
My first serious BMX bike was a 1981 Redline MX-II, then I got an 1983 SE Racing PK Ripper. I currently have a SE Racing 2009 SoCal Flyer with Flight cranks, DK stem, Sinz Pro wheels and a Thomson post.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
raced bmx in the early 80s. i think i started when i was 7 or so since my brothers were into it. i primarily raced a national pro and then also a torker. the nat pro was nice and light and fast.

i have to dig around for some old pics. i'm currently restoring both since they were left in my parents' garage for almost 20 years. yeah, bad move to leave them out there with the chicago change in temps and humidity, but oh well. looking forward to having my son ride them around when they're ready to go.

i remember my friend had a kuwahara and another a pk ripper, then also a couple redlines and haros. maybe even a robinson thrown in there too.

very cool memories!!

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Of the nearly 200 riders I have trained as XC racers, 4 came from BMX. Boy could they handle a bike. The problem was you had to train them to not burn their matches so early in the race.They would go off the line and hammer the big boys to death and just fry themselves with a mile or two. Great boys, highly spirited, confident cyclists, you just had to help them deal with their boredom at the XC training method.

·
Registered
213 Posts
In late 1987 I caught the BMX bug when a copy of BMX Plus! caught my eye on the grocery store magazine rack. I was 12 and had been riding and exploring trails around my neighborhood for a year on a heavy bike made from pieces cobbled-together from other bikes. But after buying that magazine I got hooked on the more serious stuff, and started coveting a Mongoose.

The next summer (1988) I bought a Mongoose Expert, and loved riding it everywhere. I did 5 races on it the summer of 1989, but never did real well and broke my collarbone crashing on a giant double. Although I raced a couple more times that season, I realized that the high-flyin' stuff just wasn't for me. I just never got real comfortable with big air and tricks, but was more at home with my wheels on the ground, small jumps and trail riding.

So it was pretty natural to discover mountain biking in college with buddies on the XC/Track (running) team. We'd go out for "cross-training" rides and do crazy stuff in the woods on full rigid bikes.

I finally sold the Mongoose just before graduating college. It was sad because I had a lot of fun with it. I cleaned it up and took it out for one last ride around the neighborhood. On attempting a bunny-hop my foot slipped off the bear-trap pedal, which then swung up and took a nice bite out of my shin. So I now carry a nice scar to remind me of that bike...

·
Registered
20 Posts
I never did competitive BMX but I rode empty house lots my friends and I converted into dirt tracks. I saw a 1992 GT Performer at the bike shop as a 5th grader, got it for christmas that year and owned it until 1997. It looked exactly like this.

I always missed that bike. It was a present from my grandmother who died a year later.

·
Old Fart, Crank Warrior
198 Posts
When the Schwinn Stingray came out --

We started putting heavier tires/wheels on them, using them for hiking trail access. We were looking for a way to get the pack load off the hiker, and an option to roll on the trail rather than walk.

The bike was small enough to allow carrying it across obstacles. That was 1964.

When mountain bikes came out about 1988, our reaction was . . . "Yeah! That's what we're talking about!"

-- And they were rigid, steel frame:

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
More from BITD.

First time I started doing can-cans was off my "launch ramp" in my parent's backyard. A year later we were doing them in dirt, except they were no-footed can-cans. :D

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle part

Some flatland - there were no differences between flatlander, dirtjumper, street rider, vert/park rider - we were all the same under one name: FREESTYLER

Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire

Forward rolling elbow glide - 14 years old, I think?

Clothing Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Mode of transport

...and WELL over 20 years later... um, yeah.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Spoke

·
Registered
28 Posts
rode BMX street until I was in college and had a nasty crash on a gap. Then I only rode here and there until I left for the army and was introduced to MTB. No pictures on my computer but I know my Mom still has a ton around the house as well as some of the videos my friends and I made.

Only competed in one street event and had a bad crash during qualifying and didn't make the cut.

Always looked up to guys like Dave Mirra and Ralph Sinisi. Rode FBM Angel of Death and a Eastern Tarzan for a long time. Started off on a Dyno that looked like someone spilled paint all over it haha with sweet ass Mag 5 spoke wheels.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts