Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I say CALdera as in CALL me sometime. I've heard others say CALdera is in CALifornia.

So how do you say it?

·
Registered
696 Posts
I thought it was pronounced like this:

call-DARE-uh

but who really knows? Wasn't there a thread somewhere else on here about the most commonly mispronounced biking terms?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hallin222 said:
Wasn't there a thread somewhere else on here about the most commonly mispronounced biking terms?
I couldn't find it but I wasn't searching for those terms.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Cal der' a

emphasis on second syllable. "Cal" as in "calculus", or "California"-- the way everyone except Schwarzenegger pronounces it.
At least I can recall something from geology class twelve years ago.

·
Team Cspine
492 Posts
Yep...

Spinny said:
emphasis on second syllable. "Cal" as in "calculus", or "California"-- the way everyone except Schwarzenegger pronounces it.
Bike, collapsed volcano, same thing.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Spinny said:
Bah, humbug.. that's means I've been saying it wrong. Glad I asked.

bulletbob said:
Bike, collapsed volcano, same thing.
Thanks for the info. I wondered where the name came from.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shawn595 said:
I say CALdera as in CALL me sometime. I've heard others say CALdera is in CALifornia.

So how do you say it?
lol - another interestingly, odd, quirk of the english language that's entirely dependant upon your geographic location IMO.

Kinda like wether you say Wash-ing-ton, or somehow discover an "r" & say War-shing-ton. Is it Or-ee-gone, or Or-ee-gun? lol... 'pends on where you are.

I can say that up here around Mammoth, caldera, is most definately pronounced Call-dare-ah, including the geologists with the USGS here studying/monitoring the Long Valley caldera.

However, I've no doubt that people in ...Boston, probably say Cal-der-a. Simply because they use cats-up, made out of toe-mot-oh's on their french-fried, I-der-hoe, po-tot-tow's while they're in Niv-odd-uh. Meanwhile, I prefer to use catch-up, made from two-may-toe's, on my french-fried, I-da-ho, poe-tay-toe's when I'm in Nev-add-ah. :)

But then you must remember that a whole bunch of N.E. right-coaster's think that Chicago is way-WAY out west (no joke). Why it's darn near on the Pacific ocean according to them - So that explains a very small part of their wackiness in most all things.

·
adult onset ADHD
149 Posts
Wait.. wait.. wait....

Descalzo said:
lol - another interestingly, odd, quirk of the english language that's entirely dependant upon your geographic location IMO.

Kinda like wether you say Wash-ing-ton, or somehow discover an "r" & say War-shing-ton. Is it Or-ee-gone, or Or-ee-gun? lol... 'pends on where you are.

I can say that up here around Mammoth, caldera, is most definately pronounced Call-dare-ah, including the geologists with the USGS here studying/monitoring the Long Valley caldera.

However, I've no doubt that people in ...Boston, probably say Cal-der-a. Simply because they use cats-up, made out of toe-mot-oh's on their french-fried, I-der-hoe, po-tot-tow's while they're in Niv-odd-uh. Meanwhile, I prefer to use catch-up, made from two-may-toe's, on my french-fried, I-da-ho, poe-tay-toe's when I'm in Nev-add-ah. :)

But then you must remember that a whole bunch of N.E. right-coaster's think that Chicago is way-WAY out west (no joke). Why it's darn near on the Pacific ocean according to them - So that explains a very small part of their wackiness in most all things.
Warshington indeed has an invisible "R" and only folks from west virginny think that Idaho is I-der-ho... and NO Chicago is the mid-west and Memphis is mid-south for some reason...

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Descalzo said:

Ha! Definitely the funniest post I've read on the topic!

So far as I'm concerned.. Oregon is pronounced Or-eh-gun. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts