Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tucked the front end last Friday morning coming down El Sereno-I'm gonna blame the "hero dirt" for being a tad less hereoific than expected.

Anyway, the expected road rash is fine, but some how, I pulled my hamstring in the dismount. No big bruise, so prolly not torn. But it's a ***** to walk on.

Any ideas to facilitate a quick recovery? I'm icing it now, gonna try light swimming later today. Hope this is a week type recovery not a month.

·
-_-
4,748 Posts

Last I checked most of us here came to the consensus that you'll need a few select micro brews and a place to put your feet up on. ;)

That said what I've done the last few ankle/lower-leg injuries has been what you said, light/moderate swimming, no flip turns/pushing off the walls, combined with wearing compression socks (SwiftWick's). The compression socks being the biggest help overall, keeping swelling down, blood flowing, and supporting at the same time.

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
Ibuprohen. Ice & heat. Stay off of your feet. Rest as much as you can.

It is so hard to get people to do this.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Tore my hammy pretty bad about 3 weeks ago in a very similar scenario. I can almost walk with out a limp now, but get tired after more than a short walk, so just trying to not walk.

Light rides in the past few days have actually been ok and make it feel like I'm stretching it out - I just lower the seat so I don't extend fully - pool & ocean have been good recovery exercises as well; also, keeping heat on it but haven't tried those compression deals - after 3 weeks, is it too late for those to be beneficial?

·
-_-
4,748 Posts
..after 3 weeks, is it too late for those to be beneficial?
Honestly IMHO, no. I actually use them even riding normally now as a means of support as well as recuperation. They're not like an ace bandage deal or a brace, they're just light enough to support while allowing everything to tone up and stay consistent. They don't replace healing and fitness and cause atrophy like if you use a brace for a long time, they accentuate it.

Pretty sure there's some sort of studies on the web that could swing either way but in my use they continue to be a benefit.

My beta test is the days I have to be on the road more than 8 hours while also doing 30-40 stops at shops. By the time I get home, if I take the socks off for a bit and walk, no fatigue. Then I sat there and went without them, by 2pm I was having to loosen my laces to allow some space. Then the next day find myself taking up the slack in the laces because I put a set back on. Heck, I even still contract wrench for a select batch of endurance and triathaletes who all use compression gear. Plain and simple, it works.

Do we still have some fitness or physical therapy members who can chime in to support my train of belief?

·
Registered
5,764 Posts
Foam rollers do wonders.
Heat pads. Ice baths. Yoga. Stretching. Swimming.
For prevention in the future, weight training is crucial to prevent injuries to hamstrings.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
RICE therapy.

Rest Ice Compress Elevate. After a few days switch to heat 15 minutes atleast 4 times a day. Take recommended dose of ibuprofen every 6 hours, or do naprosyn as the bottle says (2 every 12?). Stretch as tolerated, don't push yourself. Avoid weight bearing exercises until you feel better, stay off your feet as much as possible.

The last three are the hardest.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Don't drink alcohol and eat lots of healthy veggies. Keeping your blood pH from being too acidic aids healing, beer, wine, meat sugars all make your blood more acidic and cause inflammation. Also consume Tumeric it's a natural anti-inflammatory. I put 1/8 - 1/4 tsp in my morning greens powder and protein powder drink everyday. This stuff works.

·
Mtbr Founder
34,827 Posts
Tore my hammy pretty bad about 3 weeks ago in a very similar scenario. I can almost walk with out a limp now, but get tired after more than a short walk, so just trying to not walk.

Light rides in the past few days have actually been ok and make it feel like I'm stretching it out - I just lower the seat so I don't extend fully - pool & ocean have been good recovery exercises as well; also, keeping heat on it but haven't tried those compression deals - after 3 weeks, is it too late for those to be beneficial?

Are you injured bro-man? I thought you were invincible.

Hammy is bad. You must be bouncing off the walls.

fc

·
Save Jesus
2,946 Posts

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Are you injured bro-man? I thought you were invincible.

Hammy is bad. You must be bouncing off the walls.

fc
You said it brother! That's why I have been MIA as of late - including not being able to help dig at Demo - which I am genuinely bummed about because I had so many hours in at the Tamo flow trail so I was ready to dig! - but right now walking is actually tougher than riding so no digging for at least a few more weeks - and probably no real rides until then either - just some strolls around the block maybe!

PS - just sent you a super sexy pic of my leg a few days after the incident - don't hate just because my legs look good - I thought about posting it up here publicly but then thought it might be against the MTBR decency terms & conditions!

·
Mtbr Founder
34,827 Posts
You said it brother! That's why I have been MIA as of late - including not being able to help dig at Demo - which I am genuinely bummed about because I had so many hours in at the Tamo flow trail so I was ready to dig! - but right now walking is actually tougher than riding so no digging for at least a few more weeks - and probably no real rides until then either - just some strolls around the block maybe!

PS - just sent you a super sexy pic of my leg a few days after the incident - don't hate just because my legs look good - I thought about posting it up here publicly but then thought it might be against the MTBR decency terms & conditions!
Wow bro. That is sexy time.

Just be happy it wasn't the crown jewels.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_1529.jpeg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts