Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
I used to be a fat kid/young adult who bought a cheapo TREK 4300 to ride around the block and try to lose a lil weight. I rode it once or twice in PA then moved to NJ and put the bike in storage. About 2 years later I found it in the storage garage and brought her home and dusted her off. My brother younger had been into MTB'ing for about 6 months at the time and invited me for a ride at the local trails. That first ride I got beaten to heck by every damn thing on the trail and threw up like 5 times from exhaustion I think. But after a few more rides I was hooked, ended up buying some other awesome bikes and have never looked back. Now I'm in prime shape an have the greatest hobby ever.

·
Outrageously happy
71 Posts
My wife got me a mountain bike 15 1/2 years ago. It was a gift from her to me for being her birth coach for our son. No one would going riding with me in the hills around Saratoga, so I'd go alone, usually to Fremont Older, Long Ridge or Calabazas. We did more hiking, skiing, surfing. This year, my son joined the mountain biking club at his high school, and since he stil does not yet have his license, I would take him every weekend. We've started this about 2 months ago, and now I'm hooked. The only problem is that I'm still on that 15 1/2 year old bike! It works fine, but I get these looks of pity from the other cyclists. :D

·
Registered
317 Posts
I moved back to Northwest Arkansas and was trying to get back to jogging. Did a number on my Achilles tendon and started thinking about taking advantage of being around trails to ride. My family usually just gives me money for birthdays, so I pooled all of it together and got an entry-level bike. Took a few rides around a nearby trail and enjoyed it. Got out on some other trails with a group and really liked it. Now my fitness work revolves around improving my biking, since it provides a focus.

The next stop is kayaking.

I'm guessing my family is just glad I don't use their gift money for tattoos anymore.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
A fellow Soldier at Ft Sill biked a lot and got my interest piqued. Knowing no better I went to Dolgin's and bought a Murray and tinkered around the range roads for a few weeks and then put the bike away until it got swiped out of a storage locker.

Fast forward a few years to my return to Baumholder from Bosnia--the sportsstore ran by AAFES had a sweet Scott fully rigid racing comp marked down from 999 to 620. It was so mine and I entered a couple races in Germany even--I left that bike there and got a Trek 7000 at Ft Hood. And started attending many club type rides, fests and races.

Work after retiring from the Army demands more of my time than being a Soldier ever did, but I still go out on quality trail rides and am a keen road cyclist also.

So been doing this all somewhat seriously for 12 years now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
In 1985 my brother-in-law asked me if I wanted to go bike packing in the Porcupine Mountains for five days. I needed a mb to do so, so I bought one. We spent five days in the back country biking and living on fresh caught trout and salmon. It was one of the best vacations I can remember. Needless to say I've been riding trail since.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Well, about 11 years ago it was my only mode of transportation. I loved it. Got a car and biking went to the side. I tried to get back into it a few years later with a trek4300, no real motovation, so it got sold. But now, i using it to get and keep healthy, and to releive stress. I love the outdoors, and when i got a car that love also got pushed to the side. Not to get ready for a nice rainy ride:thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Around 3 years ago I got a cheapo road bike and did that every once in a while then i had reconstructive foot surgery:madmax: on both of my feet and had 2 stop for around 6 or 7 months. When i was finally allowed to get back on a bike I got board with the road bike so for my B-day i got a cheapo Mongoose wal-mart bike. I rode it every day for a fue miles and loved it but sense i had no place to go ride I once again got boerd and stoped. Then over the summer on vacation i brought my bike and went on my first trail ride and LOVED every single second of it:D . So sense I got home I did as much riding as i could (mainly urban and local public parks). But once again i had foot reconstructive foot:madmax: surgery so i have been out sense August 11th. But now i am Back fool force with my brand new Raleigh Mojave 8.0 07 and loving it!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
When I was a kid every kid had a bike, it was the only way we moved around, and we all had mountain bikes, no one had a road bike or a BMX. Mine was a cheap department store mountain bike from (I think) Zellers. It had 12 speeds, no suspension, and those awful sidepull brakes that could never work smoothly no matter how you adjusted them. This was in the early 90's. The trails around here were pretty boring but there were a couple obstacles that were fun to ride over. Also, I was kind of the neighborhood mechanic, whenever another kid had a flat tire or a broken brake cable or whatever, they came to me to fix it.

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
My story

I bought a used, early '90's fully rigif Gaint Yukon to ride the local paved path in the park. From there I found a gravel multi use trail, and thought I was on to something. From there I found some offshoots that led off the gravel path to what at the time I thought were deer paths. What it turned out to be was some nice east coast singletrack that I began to explore. I found mtbr.com, bought a new bike (Gaint Warp) and it's been downhill ever since. :thumbsup:

Bob

·
Registered
212 Posts
By watching drop in!! I was flicking around the channels one day and thought that it was motocross! I then noticed that I was watching bicycles!. Also my dad knows a woman whos son races in world cup races, so he brought me out the trails. Hooked!!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I've always had a bike, but growing up a poor city kid the thought of riding a bike in the woods never crossed my mind. While in college, and on impulse, I bought my first real mtb - a 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara, for strictly recreational riding.

In the summer of '04 I was riding my bike along the Charles here in Boston when I unexpectedly ran into a large group blocking the lane at the crest of a hill, so I braked hard and got off the bike to walk around them. That's when I saw this older black lady (50's, really short gray hair, slim) who was riding behind me stop her mtb, trackstand, manual, turn 90degs on her rear wheel, land the front tire, and keep on pedaling. I was shocked because 1) she was a woman, 2) she was black (it's hard to spot many people of color riding/jogging along the charles), 3) she was older and 4) she had SKILLZ!

So I searched online to learn what it was that she did so that I could do it, too, and I happened to find the website for NEMBA, the local mtb advocacy group. I decided to give a NEMBA group ride a try (back then I thought riding a bike in the woods was bizzare), and immediately fell in love with singletrack.

BTW - I still can't pull the moves that lady did, but I'm trying.

Ant

·
Registered
18 Posts
Here is my story

I was on active duty with the Army when these kind gentelmen decided that my Bradley crew and I needed a little "bang" in our lives. Needless to say, I ended up breaking my right femur, and shattering my lower left Tibia and Fibia. That was back in 2002. Fast forward several years, titanium rods and 12 screws holding both my legs together, my running days were over. Since my running days were over, and the Army no longer had a use for me, I started riding an old Huffy mountain bike that I bought at a yard sale.

My boys and I started riding on a regular basis, and finally made the move to buy "up graded" Wal Mart bikes. After destroying those, I bought the boys Trek 4300 bikes, and myself a Iron Horse hardtail.

Fast forward even further, and my boys are entering every race that they can, and placing every time, while I am currently riding a Cannondale Super V 1000, which I absolutly adore:thumbsup: My whole family rides every weekend together, rain or shine, and this sport has brought a whole family together with a common bond!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used to do cross country running in school. My dad bought me a bike to ride to school when I was 15. I stopped regular riding when I got my driving license. I just bought a bike and started riding again a month ago.

·
ravingbikefiend
2,322 Posts
It was 1971, I was 6 years old and got my first real bike... we weren't very well off so most of my stuff was a hand me down from my older brother and my bike was no exception.

I recall that I only crashed a few times before I removed the training wheels that my dad had installed and was soon riding solo... riding my bike was everything for me then and in the hands of an imaginative 6 year old with some clothespins and some old hockey cards, a bike becomes a motorcycle. With a six shooter strapped to your hip, it becomes your loyal horse.

I shudder to think of what those hockey cards would be worth now... in my house you'd never think of wasting a Montreal Canadiens card but having Bobby Orr's face being slapped against the spokes was always a satisfying sound.

As I got older my bike was still my primary means of transportation and at 16 I bought a car (a VW Beetle) primarily because my GF lived in the country and I often drove her home. On my own I preferred riding over driving and when I would go to see my grandparents I would often ride the 80 miles rather than drive my car.

I'm now entering my fourth decade of cheering on the Habs and I still curse the Bruins (but have a deeper appreciation for Bobby Orr), and have never lost my passion for riding and if anything, it has increased.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
For me, I used to ride a lot when I was younger....it was my way of getting around. Then, my family moved out o acreages where there just wasn't anyplace to ride...unless you wanted to dodge horses and cows.

When I moved back into town and got married, I decided I needed something to help me get into a better shape than round. I was looking at how far it was to work and thought maybe I might try rollerskiing....but with all the trails nearby and the possibility of using the bike for other things, I thought a bike may be a better choice. I picked up a hardtail in the spring of '05 to "get back into riding" and haven't looked back.

Last year, I went FS and have ridden it even more...in the process I've lost 25 lbs or so and, other than the Christmas bulge, I have managed to keep it off.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have been riding all my life, but very casually.

Only last summer did I buy a "real" bike, a light "All Mountain" bike ready for freeride.

My first ride that wasn't a road or smooth fireroad was a blue downhill at Keystone in Colorado.

Needless to say, when you're faced with conditions like that, you learn real quick. And I did 30 miles that day of the rough downhill stuff and never fell once. (but I did get a leak in my fork) :thumbsup:

·
Because I am !
1,307 Posts
I have to thank my kids.......

At my age :rolleyes: I won't go back any farther than 1995 when I became a single parent and purchased a cheap Royce Union HT from Sears :eek: just so I could ride along with my kids so they could venture farther than the dead end street we lived beside here in West Central WV.

After a couple rides and close calls on the streets of this town :madmax: I decided we needed to ride somewhere else. So I started taking them on 20 minute drives to a Rails-To-Trails I found where we began enjoying rides in the country side. Our interest grew more after riding a few singletrack paths that people used to access fishing spots along the rail trail. Then we discovered a nearby county park had many singletrack trails and we began riding there. And you know the rest.

Of course as our skills and the quality of our bikes grew, it has become a passion, a never ending drive to explore new trails, driving hundreds of miles to find new obsticles that challenge us, and sometimes shatter us. But the passion is so great the pain is worth it. If 2007 can be any better than the year we had in 2006 we are in for one heck of another adventure. :thumbsup:

It doesn't get any better than this !

ODN

·
Registered
13 Posts
great stories!

mine is kinda long, i'll try to summarize.. i was a competitive runner for 20 years (!) until i suddenly developed autoimmune arthritis & was even in a wheelchair for a while. it sucked, but the hardest part was losing my running "fix".

this year i took up mountain biking, and it's been the most incredible therapy, both physically and mentally. since i started riding, i don't miss running at all any more, and i'm so happy!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.