Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RIP 9 frame arrives at the bike shop. Got the next two days off to spend building it up and testing it out. large frame weighed in at a hair under 7.1 pounds, complete build according to my spreadsheet calculations should be right about 31 pounds. Hopefully it'll be a bit lighter in real life.

The build:

Licorice RIP 9 frame, large
Rockshox Pike fork, 140mm
SRAM X9 10 speed shifters, Type 2 rear derailleur, 11-36cassette, X7 front derailleur
SRAM s-1250 crankset off my Stumpjumper, 22/33
Hope Tech X2 Special Edition brakes, 183mm
Hope Pro II hubs/Stan's Arch rims
King headset
Hope 90mm stem
Niner alloy flatbar, 710mm
Thomson dropper post
Ergon GP3 grips
Maxxis Ikon 2.2 rear, Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 front
Specialized Henge seat

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ordered it from Merlin probably a couple months ago now, when they had it for a great price, plus 10% off. Got it four days later.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seatpost is certainly a snug fit, but shouldn't have any issues with setting proper seat height, as the large frame will accommodate the full 400mm length of my Thomson, if need be.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So here she is, all built up. Still got a few things I have to do, such as trim the zip ties and some cables, some derailleur and probably brake adjustments, bar height, then work out air pressures and rebound and such. Seat needs to move back a bit as well.

One thing I did discover is I'm gonna need a new dropper post. The Thomson is just too long to allow me to get my correct seat height. Even all the way in, I'm still .5-1cm high. Good thing I kept the old Stumpy post. Yeah, I know, maybe I should have got a medium frame, but I'm longer proportionally in the torso compared to inseam, and the longer toptube just feels better for me. Even the guy at the shop when I demoed one of the older RIPs last fall said I looked better on the larger frame. So far just tooling around the street, feels a lot like my old Stumpy fitwise.

So looking at maybe getting a KS Lev, or a Reverb. They're 1.5-2cm shorter than the Thomson. I like the Lev for the fact that the cable doesn't move.

Also, and you maybe can't pick them out from this picture, but I've got white derailleur housing on it. I'm not too keen on the look, but they're the Gore cables from the Stumpy, and since they aren't making them anymore........... Figure one day i'll pick up some Jagwire braided lines to match the Hope braided brake lines, either the silver or titanium, whichever's closer.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can't saw off a dropper post, and the rigid post I'm using as a temporary fill-in has me at the right height.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
I'd be trying a 50mm stem on it before you do to much more.

Looking forward to your ride report.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nice, but I would change the grips. It makes me cringe to see those. A 70 or 50mm stem is also much better on that bike.

And go with a reverb.

·
bike rider
1,152 Posts
You can still get Gore cables. SRAM now licenses them. They only sell blue, red and white though at Bti.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got some titanium Jagwires on the way, figure I'll run the Gore cables in the Jagwire housing. Hopefully the titanium color makes a decent match.

Also, had to go for a 100mm dropper post, and going with the KS Lev. I like the fact that the cable won't move, and really don't want to have top mess with bleeding it. And I love those grips, since I suffer from finger numbness, I like the extra available hand positions.

·
Carbon & Ti rule
5,410 Posts
Got some titanium Jagwires on the way, figure I'll run the Gore cables in the Jagwire housing. Hopefully the titanium color makes a decent match.

Also, had to go for a 100mm dropper post, and going with the KS Lev. I like the fact that the cable won't move, and really don't want to have top mess with bleeding it. And I love those grips, since I suffer from finger numbness, I like the extra available hand positions.
I run the Ergon's on most my bikes & really like them, I also have the ones with bar ends on 1 bike & don't seem to catch them on anything, However mine look shorter & curve in quite a bit.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I run the Ergon's on most my bikes & really like them, I also have the ones with bar ends on 1 bike & don't seem to catch them on anything, However mine look shorter & curve in quite a bit.
Might be just the angle of the photo, cause I've seen some of your videos, and they look to be the same ones. Yours have the little rubbery stuff along the tops and side?

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
I just think 1990s mountain bike when I see bar ends. Seem like a disaster on wide bars, but to each his own. Not for me.
You are not alone.
I think bar ends are useful, and I think more people would use them if it weren't for how they look.
Up until recently I used bar ends on riser bars on a FS 29er. I wish I could say that I only care about function, not looks, but since I got my new bike, I haven't put bar ends on because I think its just too pretty the way it is!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So i got out for my first real ride on it yesterday, and it pretty much confirmed everything I felt during the couple of test rides I took on one. Nothing really technical just some wide singletrack and fire road stuff, as even the fire roads deeper into the woods were a bit mushy. The Stumpjumper I had before had a tendency for the front wheel to wander side to side, especially when climbing, but also somewhat when pedalling on the flats.

The Rip had none of this. The Stumpy also tended to understeer, and feel a little slow when turning. I solved this a bit by lowering the bars some, and probably a lot of that was getting used to the slacker angles. The Rip just goes where you point it, not twitchy at all, just responsive. It's also probably a little heavier than the Stumpy, or will be when I get the dropper post on it,. but it felt and pedalled lighter. Overall fit felt pretty much the same between the two.

The Rip is also cushier, but it bobs less. Rode with both fork and shock wide open and never felt like I needed any platform, even on the road to and from the trails. And the Pike is amazing. All I had was some small root and rock chatter to go over, but the Pike just soaked that all up without fuss. You couldn't even see it working, but everything was just smooth. And it's not even broken in yet, cause when I push on it inside the house, it's a bit sticky before it breaks loose.

All in all, just a way better bike than the Stumpjumper ws, and everything I pretty much expected it to be. Loving this bike.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just got done putting the titanium Jagwire cables on, and while they're not a perfect match to the Hope brake lines, they're almost a perfect match for the silver on the black RIP 9 frame. Shortened them up a bit from the previous set so they run a bit cleaner, and just look so sweet on the bike. Need to shorten the brake lines a bit also, but that can wait for a while.

Now just waiting for the new KS Lev to arrive. Should be here Wednesday.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts